Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

A newbie question here !

I am an IT professional , working on 457 Visa in Melbourne. I have been working here for more than an year already.
I have decided to file for Australian PR now.

As the first step I have completed ACS and have cleared PTE with required points.
The total points for my application amount to 75 (thanks to good PTE score).

I am getting married in November this year and my fiancée and I both want to travel to Australia after marriage.

Now my question is - Form a perspective of my wife being eligible to work as fast as possible, which is the favorable option for me to apply PR ?

1) I apply for PR immediately, go back to India for my marriage and then apply for her dependent visa(?)

2) We both get married, keep our documents ready and file the EOI only after coming back to Australia after marriage (I will file a tourist Visa to bring her along)

The important consideration for me is that she is eligible to work in Australia the earliest after arrival. Based on this please suggest the path that should be undertaken

As an additional clarification, could you please provide a list of the formalities which can be completed and kept before marriage, which will help us apply at the earliest ?

Many thanks to the excellent folks on the forum for their help !

mobius 1

·
Registered
25,743 Posts
Hi All,

A newbie question here !

I am an IT professional , working on 457 Visa in Melbourne. I have been working here for more than an year already.
I have decided to file for Australian PR now.

As the first step I have completed ACS and have cleared PTE with required points.
The total points for my application amount to 75 (thanks to good PTE score).

I am getting married in November this year and my fiancée and I both want to travel to Australia after marriage.

Now my question is - Form a perspective of my wife being eligible to work as fast as possible, which is the favorable option for me to apply PR ?

1) I apply for PR immediately, go back to India for my marriage and then apply for her dependent visa(?)

2) We both get married, keep our documents ready and file the EOI only after coming back to Australia after marriage (I will file a tourist Visa to bring her along)

The important consideration for me is that she is eligible to work in Australia the earliest after arrival. Based on this please suggest the path that should be undertaken

As an additional clarification, could you please provide a list of the formalities which can be completed and kept before marriage, which will help us apply at the earliest ?

Many thanks to the excellent folks on the forum for their help !

mobius 1
With 75 points you will get an invite most probably in July itself under 189
And if you apply immediately the chances are that you will be granted the PR before your marriage
As soon as the PR is granted, your 457 visa will be cancelled
You can add your fiancée name in the 189 right away but you will have. Hard time proving genuine relationship as you have no history or evidence of living together

If you get the PR then to bring your wife on tourist is possible but she will not have working rights

If you apply for spouse PR, I think the present delay is more then a year if I remember correctly

If you are really serious about bringing your wife to Australia at the earliest, then the best thing would be to continue on the 457 and get a 457 dependant visa for your wife, which is much easier to get.
She will also have rights to work
Then after 6 months of living together, apply for the PR for both as you will then also have your geniuine relationship evidence of living together

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.