Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone give me some advice? I'm a US Citizen married to an Egyptian. We were married in Egypt and have been living here together for 4 years and we are ready to file the I-130 now. I have legal status as a resident in Egypt.

I have been told, by our embassy in Cairo, I must send the application to a lockbox in Chicago and this is really difficult, if not impossible, first, there is no mail service in Egypt, everything is a mess here and the instructions for the I-130 say that they won't accept a copy of a form with my signature. I've got a co-sponsor (my parents) as I have no income at the moment and we'll be living with them for a short time when we get to the US (at least that's our plan IF we get there). My mom has offered to print off the forms and mail them for me from Florida... but I just don't know if that is going to be acceptable. Any advice? Perhaps from someone else who has completed the process... in a similar situation? :)

·
Registered
986 Posts
What part of Egypt is he in? I lived in Hurghada for many years.... in a building that had no address (Most are like that in Hurghada!) :)
The local post office was 2 bus trips away.... but I had a PO box for my mail.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
You will have to return to the US ..get a US Aila lawyer
to complete the forms together with co sponsor

and then return.. it may take a year

·
Registered
82 Posts
There are no private courier services there? Or maybe you could do a quick trip to Spain or any other country nearby that has mail service and just drop off the letter there? That would still be cheaper than flying to the U.S.

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
There are no private courier services there? Or maybe you could do a quick trip to Spain or any other country nearby that has mail service and just drop off the letter there? That would still be cheaper than flying to the U.S.
Davis may be talking about return mail. Can mail be sent care of a US embassy?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts