Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anybody else hear the fighter jets on Sunday Morning at about 5am, all along the coast from around Estepona to Marbella.

It was very strange to be woken to a sonic boom at that time of the morning. Anybody know what was going on, the jet was around for a while, doing a lot of acrobatics and flying very low and faster than Sound, I did hear a roumor that it was some guy who had a fight with his girlfriend and didn't want to let her sleep, so he was flying around her home near Estepona, but that just sounds a little far fetched.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Did anybody else hear the fighter jets on Sunday Morning at about 5am, all along the coast from around Estepona to Marbella.

It was very strange to be woken to a sonic boom at that time of the morning. Anybody know what was going on, the jet was around for a while, doing a lot of acrobatics and flying very low and faster than Sound, I did hear a roumor that it was some guy who had a fight with his girlfriend and didn't want to let her sleep, so he was flying around her home near Estepona, but that just sounds a little far fetched.
I would agree there. Any pilot that tried that, would never be allowed near an airfix model, let alone a jet fighter, for the rest of their life and spend most of that in a nice quiet room with nice thick wallpaper and one of those fancy jackets that fasten at the back and the "tiedown sleeves", also having to explain to a doctor, why, because his mummy dressed him as girl until he was four, he took a multi millon euro aircraft, so he could disturb his girlfriend's sleep............

Sort of a lost cause, as he's going to be in a mental ward. She's going to be happy about not having to deal with a nutjob, who has access to a plane with enough firepower to level a town.

To keep a jet fighter at supersonic speed at low level, requires a huge amount of fuel. (the afterburners would have to be on almost constantly and he would have run out of fuel very quickly) Jet fighters don't glide well. They have a nasty habit of falling when the engines stop.

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
I stay with friends in mid Wales from time to time, very isolated spot and they often get fighter jets on low level flight traing...I love it...no noise...whoooooosh they fly past at tree top height then...ROARRRRRR the noise hits, its fantastic. Other time you'll have big Hercules transports again flying low and you hear them coming, they seem so slow you wonder how on earth they stay in the air.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not sure about the jets, but all departures off Malaga south easterly runway since Mid March are now turning right after departure toward Benalmadena/Fuengirola/La Cala which has now made the skys in these areas much more noisy. Before it was a left turn over Velez Malaga and Unoccupied land. They must think the goats need some peace and quiet !!

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
I stay with friends in mid Wales from time to time, very isolated spot and they often get fighter jets on low level flight traing...I love it...no noise...whoooooosh they fly past at tree top height then...ROARRRRRR the noise hits, its fantastic. Other time you'll have big Hercules transports again flying low and you hear them coming, they seem so slow you wonder how on earth they stay in the air.
I love stuff like that. I remember in the Lake District some time back watching fast jets flying below where we were - spectacular!

·
Registered
238 Posts
According to the radio it was one F16 jet fighter on Saturday night-but no one has any real idea why it was doing loop the loops at 4 in the morning! It came up as far as Alhaurin and it woke me-and next doors donkey up in Carratraca.Sounded a bit like thunder-could not believe my eyes.
Rumour had it yesterday that it was a UFO--but I think not..................................

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Used to get Gnat trainers flying like that up the Nant Ffrancon Valley up in Snowdonia, very spooky the first time you see it happen.

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
According to the radio it was one F16 jet fighter on Saturday night-but no one has any real idea why it was doing loop the loops at 4 in the morning! It came up as far as Alhaurin and it woke me-and next doors donkey up in Carratraca.Sounded a bit like thunder-could not believe my eyes.
Rumour had it yesterday that it was a UFO--but I think not..................................
The truth is out there.

G

·
The truth is out there.
Sadly, the truth is a generally lot more disappointing, if not dull...

I heard booms across the mountains between 2am and 4am ish. Put it down to a combination of mosto/testosterone/fireworks with the locals, being Easter n all...

Personally, I don`t believe UFO`s, but I`ve had a few weird and very unsettling experiences up in the mountains over the past few months. Another day, another thread perhaps.

:plane: or :alien:

I, for one, welcome our new, tentacled and slimy, alien overlords...

:cool:

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Sadly, the truth is a generally lot more disappointing, if not dull...

I heard booms across the mountains between 2am and 4am ish. Put it down to a combination of mosto/testosterone/fireworks with the locals, being Easter n all...

Personally, I don`t believe UFO`s, but I`ve had a few weird and very unsettling experiences up in the mountains over the past few months. Another day, another thread perhaps.

:plane: or :alien:

I, for one, welcome our new, tentacled and slimy, alien overlords...

:cool:
Neither did I until I saw two, very much a believer now.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To keep a jet fighter at supersonic speed at low level, requires a huge amount of fuel. (the afterburners would have to be on almost constantly and he would have run out of fuel very quickly) Jet fighters don't glide well. They have a nasty habit of falling when the engines stop.
Yes the Afterburners were on

Not sure about the jets, but all departures off Malaga south easterly runway since Mid March are now turning right after departure toward Benalmadena/Fuengirola/La Cala which has now made the skys in these areas much more noisy. Before it was a left turn over Velez Malaga and Unoccupied land. They must think the goats need some peace and quiet !!
no definitely not airliners,

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
A friend and I were camping in the 70's, saw two lights in the sky and thought they were helicopters until they started moving, up, down, forward, backwards, diagonally there is no way that any craft from this planet could perform those manoeuvres; then they just flew off super fast. We just looked at each other and muttered things like "What the fluck was that" or something similar. Thankfully we were not abducted and probed :eek:

Bought a copy of Chariots of the Gods that week :alien:

G

·
Chariots of the Gods! Grr. Von Daniken was an utter plank and even as a nipper, I could see his über-plankiness shine through in the book, page after dreary page. Let`s not forget the dreadful TV show.

Grr I tells ya.

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Chariots of the Gods! Grr. Von Daniken was an utter plank and even as a nipper, I could see his über-plankiness shine through in the book, page after dreary page. Let`s not forget the dreadful TV show.

Grr I tells ya.

Calm down calm down, I was about 17 at the time but perhaps your character perception was better than mine.

Any view on

Helena Blavatsky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I read a lot of her work around the same time or shortly after.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Calm down calm down, I was about 17 at the time but perhaps your character perception was better than mine.

Any view on

Helena Blavatsky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I read a lot of her work around the same time or shortly after.
A quick run through of the wikipedia item (sorry will read it in detail later - it looks interesting) reveals an awful lot of pseudoscientific gobbledegook and mystical or fanciful thinking.

What's your view of her?

This from your UFO sighting:

there is no way that any craft from this planet could perform those manoeuvres
Are you suggesting that it wasn't a craft or that it wasn't from this planet?

G

·
I was right and here was I hoping to pledge my allegiance to Lord Zog of GrrGrr by the weekend. Turns out, our noise was a bunch of drunken peeps setting of huge cherry bombs in the campo at dark o´clock.

They appear to have killed a tree.

It all happens here, you know...

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
A quick run through of the wikipedia item (sorry will read it in detail later - it looks interesting) reveals an awful lot of pseudoscientific gobbledegook and mystical or fanciful thinking.

What's your view of her?

This from your UFO sighting:

Are you suggesting that it wasn't a craft or that it wasn't from this planet?
Read my post again please, it was not from 'here; 40 years ago (or now for that matter) any human would have died from the G force in the sharp fast turns the crafts made.

Today's pseudo-scientific is tomorrows scientific fact.

Given that we have one craft leaving (or has it left) the Solar system, we have craft monitoring Mars and other lumps in the sky I don't see why a race(s) capable of covering distance faster than light can would not be looking for intelligent life across the Galaxy, after all we are doing the same in our own simple way.

Its my opinion a tad naive to think we are the only thinkers in a place where planets cannot be counted due to sheer number.

As for HPB...she was a showman/con artist but an interesting read at the time for me.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts