1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Fifa corruption charges: senior officials arrested amid World Cup voting inquiry – live updates | Football | The Guardian

Fifa corruption: arrests made following hotel raid LIVE - Telegraph

Wow.

Seriously beginning to think the Qatar WC will be revoked.

The other thing that surprises me is that it's America, with such a minimal footballing history or presence, is the force behind the investigation and arrests!
Didn't the USA lose out to Qatar for 2022? If not it was Russia in 2018.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
The bit I do not understand because I couldn't care less about football, is how anyone can be done for corruption, when FIFA is a supranational body, not in any way subject to commercial tendering laws etc. ?

If FIFA decide to auction off a competition, publicly and openly, then nobody can complain as its in effect, a private competition to which they can invite anyone they want.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Not quite.

FIFA will be signatory to various international treaties and standards and the WCs couldn't exist without the support of the host nations and these nations have an interest in ensuring that the voting process is as fair as possible (well, in theory) and in compliance with international best standards as established by so and so treaty.

A more qualified lawyer will be able to tell you why FIFA could be prosecuted in the US, but I'm sure that it has to do with the failed US bid and establishment of proof that FIFA contravened the general terms and conditions of the process (for which both parties would have legally signed to).

The bit I do not understand because I couldn't care less about football, is how anyone can be done for corruption, when FIFA is a supranational body, not in any way subject to commercial tendering laws etc. ?

If FIFA decide to auction off a competition, publicly and openly, then nobody can complain as its in effect, a private competition to which they can invite anyone they want.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
In order to host a world cup, that particular country has to provide all kinds of services (banking, tax etc) that can be completely discordant with the actual laws of that country. One of the reasons the UK bid perpetually fails is because HMRC won't come remotely close to how much of a closed book FIFA want.

Also the fingers in pies run a lot, lot bigger than brown envelopes over Pepsi or Coke sponsorship. South Africa "required" the rail network to be extensively reworked while money around the stadiums being built in Qatar dwarf the traditional, yet sizable, revenue streams - sponsorship, TV rights etc.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Apparently some of the money flowed through American banks hence their interest. If you are so inclined watch John Oliver's take on Fifa on You Tube it's funny and telling.

Personally if Blatter gets in again then England, Germany and any other nation that complains about FIFA need to get together and start their own alternative tournament!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lucifer cleared of wrongdoing by Fifa ethics committee as Sepp Blatter awards 2026 World Cup to Hell - Telegraph

Funny.

Major advertisers are now 'monitoring' the situation and will 'reevaluate' their support for the WC (corporate speak for admitting a s***storm is coming and we're now beginning to do everything we can to distance ourselves from it). If they back out, which I suspect they will, it could end the WC as we know it. These media savvy advertisers know if the WC remains in Qatar (and Russia) there will be mass protests against it on everything from the corruption to the deaths of the labourers.

Awarding the WC to Qatar was hugely unpopular from day one. The pressure to punish FIFA for doing such a thing is tremendous. Don't underestimate how badly this whole thing could blow up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts