Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am a bit new to this forum, I posted a thread about trying to understand the financial requirement and Joppa helped me so much and it was a great step in the right direction for us!! I just have a few more questions that hopefully I can find answers to with your help!! I bolded the questions that I have, if that helps? Thank you!!

My fiancee and I work onboard a cruise ship. We are planning to get married in November 2015. We are submitting the visa application in August and I have a few questions, ANY and ALL help is much appreciated!!! :) :)

1.) Since we are onboard the ship right now, I cannot attend a biometrics screening in the US until we leave here and I fly home. That date is September 27th. I went on the visa website and filled out the application, and it only shows appointment dates available for next month. What I am assuming is you can only send in the application so far in advance of the appointment date? In which case, I think I will have to resubmit a new application at a later date and then pick the date I want for the appointment. My question is, does anybody know how far in advance I can submit the application to be able to pick a date for the end of September?

2.) We will be submitting the application with priority service, because we would like to get married in November so we will need it fast. For the US, I read that in order to get the priority service you have to attend a biometric screening only in New York. This is fine for me, because that is where the company flies me back to anyway. However I am wondering, and this may be a dumb question, do I also need to send out the application from New York? Or can I attend the appointment, fly to my home in Virginia and then send it off?

3.) This is the tricky one. We are meeting the financial requirement through Category B and F. His salaried income from the cruise line we work for, and his “casual” or self employment income earned from a few different music agencies he works for. For the salaried income, it says to send documentation for the 12 months prior to applying, but since we are combining with self employment, we will be using the same full financial years worth of salaried income. Which for us will be April 2014 to April 2015. Here are my questions:
-Since we are using the financial year, as opposed to the calendar year, he only has 6 months with the same company, then a 4 month unpaid work break, then back on for 5 months. (This is how his contracts work with the ship). So while TECHNICALLY he has been with this company for over a year, he has 4 months within this financial year that he earned no income from them. He is currently on contract with this company , but this is not the financial year we are using.
Will this be an issue, and if so what sort of paperwork can we provide to prove that he has indeed worked with this company for over a year?
-Also, the self employment money he earned from April 2014- April 2015 is all from UK based companies, even though he is overseas. He has not payed taxes or registered as self employed, because in order to have to pay income tax in the UK you had to have made over a certain amount, and he does not, at least not in the UK. Therefore, most of the documents you must provide to prove this income is legitimate does not apply to him. (He has no tax return, no registration with HRMC, no tax reference number, no separate business bank account, no National Insurance contributions, you get the idea…)
What else can we send in besides the obvious (pay slips, bank statements, and letters from the agencies verifying his work) to show that this income is legitimate??

Thank you for all your help, I don’t know what I would do without this forum, so glad I found it!!! :) :) THANK YOU !!

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
1) I think you can only schedule biometrics up to a month or so in advance, so you might be looking at late August to book. You CAN choose a biometrics appointment date and then later change your appointment, but I'm not sure how many times you'll be able to do that. It may be better to rescind your application and submit it again when you are able to choose an appointment at the end of Sept.

2) You can send the documents from anywhere

I'm sorry I'm unable to comment much on the financial aspect of your application.

You should know that, depending on when in November you plan to marry, you may be cutting this VERY close. In order to even book an appointment at a registry office, you will have to have been in the UK for eight days. After you give notice, you will be waiting at least another 28 before your wedding can even be performed - Perhaps up to 70, but this is rare if you are already in the UK on a settlement visa. If I were you, I would seriously consider getting married stateside, just for the marriage certificate, and then having a ceremony in the UK at your chosen time with a celebrant rather than a registrar.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for your reply! Very helpful! Yeah I know we are cutting it very close, we will probably not actually get LEGALLY Married at the registrar until after our "wedding", the only reason we are set on the date we are is because some of my family are only able to come over to the UK at that time. :-( but that's ok if we have to get married later. Thanks so much for you response!

Anyone have any insight on the financial question?? :)

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
Taxation treatment of seafarers can be quite complicated so I suggest you show FM1.7 to a UK accountant and seek advice about whether you can combine Cat B with F, and if so, what documents you may need.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks again Joppa!!

We are going to see an accountant. Are most accountants familiar with immigration law, or should we also see an immigration lawyer ?

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
It's not so much an immigration question as meeting specific financial requirement.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again Joppa!! We will definitely be contacting an accountant. It's a bit difficult since we are currently doing 14 day cruises in the Baltic, where internet is sparse .. But I'm sure we will find a way :) keeping positive !! :)

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
Ask them about what kinds of documentary evidence you can produce to meet the self-employment category, F or G.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.