Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just have a few quick questions about my application for a fiancee visa. I live in Canada, she lives in the UK, and we're meeting the financial requirement through category A. Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer help!

1) I lived in the UK with a student visa and then a Tier 2 visa from September 2009 to September 2014. During that time, I met my partner and we had moved in together in August 2014 under the assumption that I would be getting a new job. That didn't work out though, and I had to return to Canada after my visa ran out. However, I only went to Canada for a week, and then returned as a visitor for 4 months and lived with my partner. I didn't work or violate any conditions of being a visitor, but I am just worried that this will be a cause for concern.

2) To prove we are going to get married, we booked our wedding for 10 July, which should have given us enough time with room to spare for me to arrive in the UK and post notice. However, I've just realised a mistake and need to get updated documents which will likely add 2 weeks to our timeline. This means that it could now be tight timing for us to get married on 10 July. Will this also be a cause for concern in the application? Should I start a new one and give up on the deposit for the ceremony?

3) My fiancee was previously married, and the marriage ended amicably. Neither felt pressed to go through the legal and financial proceedings for divorce until my parter and I decided to get married. Will this be an issue, given that the divorce proceedings did not begin until after our relationship had started?

4) Should I explain any of these situations in the cover letter?

5) Does my fiancee have to write a letter as well? I haven't seen anything about that mentioned in the legal documents, but I have seen a few people mention it on these forums. What should it say?

6) We have included a tenancy agreement, but should we also get a letter from our landlord stating the number of rooms and that it is only us two who occupy it? Are photos of the flat useful?

7) Here is our list of documents we intend to submit. Should I include anything else?

Primary documents:
· VAF4A
· Appendix 2 (VAF4A)
· My 2 passports, and residency card for my old Tier 2 Visa
· 2 passport photos
· Sponsorship undertaking form
· A copy of my fiancée's passport

Proof of relationship:
· Selection (1/month) of emails from October 2013 to April 2015
· Selection (1/month) of chat logs from WhatsApp from September 2013 to April 2015
· Flight tickets for various holidays together
· 12 photos of ourselves, with dates and descriptions

Proof of our intention to marry:
· Our ceremony booking for 10 July 2015
· Our reception venue booking for 10 July 2015
· Wedding guest list
· My fiancée’s decree absolute for her previous marriage

Proof of accommodation/relationship:
· Tenancy agreement for 7 August 2014 to 7 August 2015
· Shared bills for our flat from August 2014 to April 2015

Proof of finances:
· A letter from my fiancée’s employer detailing her employment and salary
· Payslips from my fiancée’s employment from August 2014 to April 2015
· My fiancée’s personal bank statements from August 2014 to April 2015
· My CV
· A selection of recent job advertisements that I am eligible for

Again, thank you to everyone in advance for your help!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
1. No problem
2. If you need to change your wedding date, it won't be a problem as long as you marry within the six months.
3. She can just mention in her letter of introduction, not a problem.
4 & 5. You should both write a letter of introduction that briefly discusses your history of your relationship and plans for the future. It gives the ECO a snapshot view from each of your points of view. They should be similar, but in your own words.
6. If the tenancy agreement is in both your names, that's all you need. Otherwise you need a letter from the landlord giving permission for your fiancé to move in as well.

Don't need the sponsorship form.
Communication - 1 page each three months for each form of communication is sufficient.
Don't need the guest list.
Don't need your CV or job advertisements.

Add in - planned flight itinerary, fiancée's employment contract, only six months original pay slips and bank statements, copy of fiancée's passport bio pages, return envelope and waybill.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! That's incredibly helpful.

For the planned flight itinerary, would that be an actual flight ticket? Or just my proposed travel plans? Since obviously when I fly depends on when I receive the visa application back.

·
Super Moderator
18,089 Posts
Thank you! That's incredibly helpful.

For the planned flight itinerary, would that be an actual flight ticket? Or just my proposed travel plans? Since obviously when I fly depends on when I receive the visa application back.
No. Do not book travel before you have the visa in hand. Just print off a sample itinerary from a travel booking website.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One final question before I submit this week: this is my letter of introduction - should I change anything, or include anything else? Thank you!

Dear Entry Clearance Officer,

I lived in the UK from September 2009 to September 2014. During this time I met my fiancée, [XXXXX]. We first met at a mutual friend’s birthday on 26 November 2011. She was married at the time, and we didn’t see each other again until 15 September 2012 when [XXXXX] was having a going-away party as she was leaving the country for a year. We realised we shared a number of common interests that night, and spent the entire night talking until the morning. She then went away for a year, and when she returned, we met up on 1 August 2013 where we began our relationship.

On 7 August 2014, we signed a tenancy agreement and moved in together under the assumption that I would likely be able to find a job before my Tier 2 visa ran out. This didn’t work according to our plans, however, and I had to return to Canada in October. I then returned to the UK as a visitor, and lived with [XXXXX]. During this time, I lived off of savings I had accrued from the year before. After 4 months of visiting, I returned to Canada and began the process of applying for a fiancée visa.

Because we both have student debts, we have tried to keep out wedding plans minimal. We have booked a ceremony for [XXXXX]. And we have booked a country house in [XXXXX] where we will be having a group holiday. Each guest is paying for their own accommodations, which means that it is minimal cost to us. We have included evidence of the ceremony booking, and also evidence of the reception booking.

Our plans are to continue to live in our current flat since we like the location. Once my immigration status allows it, I intend on applying for lectureship jobs at universities around the UK.

Below is a list of the evidence my fiancée/sponsor and I have included for our application.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
[XXXXX]

Primary documents:
• My 2 passports, and residency card for my old Tier 2 Visa
• 2 passport photos
• VAF4A
• Appendix 2 (VAF4A)
• Sponsorship undertaking form

Proof of relationship:
• A copy of my fiancée's passport
• Selection of emails from October 2013 to April 2015
• Selection of WhatsApp chat logs from September 2013 to April 2015
• 10 photos of ourselves, with dates and descriptions
• Flight ticket for my fiancée’s trip to visit me in April 2015
• Letter of introduction from my fiancée
• Letter of introduction from myself

• Our ceremony booking for 10 July 2015
• Our reception booking for 10-13 July 2015
• My fiancée’s decree absolute for her previous marriage
• Proposed travel itinerary

• Tenancy agreement for 7 August 2014 to 7 August 2015
• Shared bills for [XXXXX] from August 2014 to April 2015

Proof of finances:
• A letter from my fiancée’s employer detailing her employment and salary
• Payslips from my fiancée’s employment from November 2014 to April 2015
• My fiancée’s personal bank statements from November 2014 to April 2015
• My fiancée’s employment contract

·
Super Moderator
18,089 Posts
One final question before I submit this week: this is my letter of introduction - should I change anything, or include anything else? Thank you!

I lived in the UK from September 2009 to September 2014. During this time I met my fiancée, [XXXXX]. We first met at a mutual friend’s birthday on 26 November 2011. She was married at the time, and we didn’t see each other again until 15 September 2012 when [XXXXX] was having a going-away party as she was leaving the country for a year. We realised we shared a number of common interests that night, and spent the entire night talking until the morning. She then went away for a year, and when she returned, we met up on 1 August 2013 where we began our relationship.
Leave out "spent the entire night talking until the morning". Just state the facts. What common interests do you have? Did she get divorced? Hopefully before you started a relationship? When you met up again, where was it? Has she ever visited you in Canada? If not, why not?

On 7 August 2014, we signed a tenancy agreement and moved in together under the assumption that I would likely be able to find a job before my Tier 2 visa ran out. This didn’t work according to our plans, however, and I had to return to Canada in October. I then returned to the UK as a visitor, and lived with [XXXXX]. During this time, I lived off of savings I had accrued from the year before. After 4 months of visiting, I returned to Canada and began the process of applying for a fiancée visa.
What did you do together during the visit? Got to know each other better? Found out you had more in common like xxx, xxx and xxx? You decided to marry and you returned to Canada to apply for a fiance visa. No need to mention that you lived off savings. Focus on your relationship in non-emotional terms, common interests and plans for the future.

Because we both have student debts, we have tried to keep out wedding plans minimal. We have booked a ceremony for [XXXXX]. And we have booked a country house in [XXXXX] where we will be having a group holiday. Each guest is paying for their own accommodations, which means that it is minimal cost to us. We have included evidence of the ceremony booking, and also evidence of the reception booking.

Our plans are to continue to live in our current flat since we like the location. Once my immigration status allows it, I intend on applying for lectureship jobs at universities around the UK.
Too much unnecessary information. You are planning a simple wedding with friends and family after which you plan to live xxxx, get a job and whatever else the 2 of you plan to do. Focus on what the 2 of you intend to do, not just you.

Below is a list of the evidence my fiancée/sponsor and I have included for our application.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
[XXXXX]

Primary documents:
• 2 passport photos
• VAF4A
• Appendix 2 (VAF4A)

Proof of relationship:

• Our ceremony booking for 10 July 2015
• Our reception booking for 10-13 July 2015

• Shared bills for [XXXXX] from August 2014 to April 2015

Proof of finances:

This is completely unnecessary. Leave it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Nyclon! I really appreciate it. I've attached a revised letter below.

For the divorce thing, this was something I was concerned about. Her and her ex-husband separated after her and I had met. I had nothing to do with the separation, but because their separation was on friendly terms, neither felt compelled to go through the financial and legal hurdles to properly get a divorce. It was only when my fiancee and I decided to get married, that it became an issue. So this means that she only recently became officially divorced. Will that be a problem?

I lived in the UK from September 2009 to September 2014, first as a PhD student at the London School of Economics and then as a Teaching Fellow at University College London. During this time I met my fiancée, [XXXXX]. We first met at a mutual friend’s birthday on 26 November 2011. She was married at the time, and we didn’t see each other again until 15 September 2012 when [XXXXX] was having a going-away party as she was leaving the country for a while. We became good friends that night as we realised we shared a number of common interests, and talked about philosophy, politics, feminism, and music. She then went away for a year, and separated amicably from her husband. She then returned to the UK, and we later we met up on 1 August 2013 in London, where we began our relationship.

On 7 August 2014, we signed a tenancy agreement and moved in together under the assumption that I would likely be able to find a job before my Tier 2 visa ran out. This didn’t work according to our plans, however, and I had to return to Canada in October. I then returned to the UK as a visitor, and lived with [XXXXX]. During this time, we shared more common interests in politics and philosophy, went to a number of concerts together, helped each other with our intellectual pursuits, and continued to bond over our enjoyment of cooking and bad reality TV. I proposed to [XXXXX], who said yes, and so after 4 months of visiting, I returned to Canada in March 2015 and began the process of applying for a fiancée visa.

[XXXXX] came to visit me for 8 days in Canada in April 2015. She had already met my parents when they visited London in 1-6 August 2014, but she met my extended family for the first time here. I first met her parents in 20-22 August 2014, when we travelled to their place in Wales, but I have since met her mother a number of times.

Our plans are to have a simple wedding with friends and family, and continue to live together in our current flat. Once my immigration status allows it, I intend on applying for lectureship jobs at universities around the UK. We are hoping to go on vacation next year, and at some point get a dog to take care of.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just bumping this thread to see if I can get an answer to my last post:

1) Is the timing of my fiancee's divorce an issue?

2) How does my letter of introduction look?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
18,089 Posts
Just bumping this thread to see if I can get an answer to my last post:

1) Is the timing of my fiancee's divorce an issue?
The timing isn't an issue. What they want to make sure is that your relationship didn't cause the breakdown of the marriage. So, the timing of the separation will be of interest. Did she separate from him before she went on her year long trip? You need to make that a little more clear in your letter.

2) How does my letter of introduction look?
Much better. My only other note aside from making the timing of the separation clear is this:

"I then returned to the UK as a visitor, and lived with [XXXXX]."

Change that to stayed rather than lived. They really don't like it when people try to live in the UK on a tourist visa so no need to advertise it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again Nyclon!

For anyone who might find it of use, here's the final list of documents we'll be submitting:

Primary documents:
• 2 passport photos
• Appointment confirmation
• VFS confirmation for courier service
• VAF4A
• Appendix 2 (VAF4A)

Proof of relationship:

• Our ceremony booking
• Our reception booking

• Shared bills for our flat from August 2014 to April 2015

Proof of finances:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.