Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello this is my first time on here! My son's fiancee is in Guatemala and is applying for a visa to come to him in the UK to stay and get married. I have a thousand questions but the main one is that there is no VAC in Guatemala and it looks like she will have to go to Colombia to get her biometrics done. But she can't hand her passport over as she won't be able to fly back to Guatemala without it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
36,600 Posts
Hello this is my first time on here! My son's fiancee is in Guatemala and is applying for a visa to come to him in the UK to stay and get married. I have a thousand questions but the main one is that there is no VAC in Guatemala and it looks like she will have to go to Colombia to get her biometrics done. But she can't hand her passport over as she won't be able to fly back to Guatemala without it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
:welcome:

I've moved this to our Britain forum for you

hopefully someone here will have experience of this or know where to find the info for you

·
Registered
39,118 Posts
What normally happens in case like this is she takes her passport to Bogota and they will take a copy and return it. If her application is successful, they will ask her to send her passport (by courier delivery like UPS) where they attach her visa or vignette and return, plus her original supporting documents.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much. Will she have her biometrics done on the same day as her VAC appointment? And also another question is about her English language test. I read that if there isn't anywhere in her country where she lives and works where she can do this (which there isn't) then she doesn't have to take the test. She has emails confirming this.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi Sandy,

My husband is from Guatemala and applied for his spouse visa in 2013. So unless things have changed this is the process...
Your son's financee will have to make the online application and apply to submit biometrics in Panama. They will take a copy of the passport and then she will fly back to Guatemala and post all the supporting documents including her passport to the Bogota hub. Once they've received it she will receive an email and then again once they have made a decision. The documents will be sent to the return address she supplies.

I'm not 100% sure about the English test now. My husband took the TOIEC exam in Universidad Gallileo in the capital but this exam isn't valid anymore. But I'm sure the main universities will be offering the new exams excepted by the UK Government. You will have to check.

To be honest it will be a hassle! Going to Panama or Bogota is a pain but it's the only way since the embassy in Guatemala stopped dealing with visas.

My advice would be for them to get married first then apply for a spouse visa but that's really so it will cost less in the long run!

Cheers,

KHP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much. Every month things seem to change! The main thing seems to be the English language test as there doesn't seem to be anywhere in Guatemala that do the tests. The frustating thing is that his fiancée teaches English in Guatemala! It says on the UKBA website that if there is not an official test centre in the place where you live then you don't have to take the test. Need to know for sure though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.