Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is 18, He is a UKC and USC, living in the US. As a family we are moving back to the UK on the 4th of July.

My son has a US girlfriend who is 20 and they are completely attached/in love to the point of wanting total devastation about the possibility of being apart.

She was accepted into a uni in the UK but we cannot raise the money for her tuition.

They want to apply for a fiance visa so that they can marry in the UK and my husband will support both of them for as long as it takes and they will live with us. My son does not work as he is a student and she does not work as she is a student.

Please help - how do we solve this terrible problem. Her parents are not supporting her decision to go and live in the UK.

·
Super Moderator
18,066 Posts
My son is 18, He is a UKC and USC, living in the US. As a family we are moving back to the UK on the 4th of July.

My son has a US girlfriend who is 20 and they are completely attached/in love to the point of wanting total devastation about the possibility of being apart.

She was accepted into a uni in the UK but we cannot raise the money for her tuition.

They want to apply for a fiance visa so that they can marry in the UK and my husband will support both of them for as long as it takes and they will live with us. My son does not work as he is a student and she does not work as she is a student.

Please help - how do we solve this terrible problem. Her parents are not supporting her decision to go and live in the UK.
Have you looked at the requirements on the UKBA website:

UK Border Agency | Fiance(e) or proposed civil partner of a British citizen or settled person

For the moment 3rd party support is allowed, but be aware that if you are not planning to make this move soon, that option may not be available and it would be up to your son to show that he as the means to support her solely on his own. It's rumored that a spouse would have to have a minimum income of £25,700. Until those changes come into effect, third party support is allowed and you must be able to show that there is £111.45/week to support her after paying rent and council tax along with adequate space to accommodate her.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Nyclon.

We read somewhere that they have to show that they will have to show proof of their wedding plans. They have no big plans as they are planning to use a magistrate and go to dinner/lunch afterwards to celebrate. They cannot afford a wedding with a hall and caterers. How do they proof that they have concrete plans for a wedding or is this not necessary?

·
Super Moderator
18,066 Posts
Thank you Nyclon.

We read somewhere that they have to show that they will have to show proof of their wedding plans. They have no big plans as they are planning to use a magistrate and go to dinner/lunch afterwards to celebrate. They cannot afford a wedding with a hall and caterers. How do they proof that they have concrete plans for a wedding or is this not necessary?
They should contact the registrar where they intend to get married to find out is required of them and be able to show (email correspondence etc.) that they have made tentative arrangements.

·
Registered
39,085 Posts
Have you looked at the requirements on the UKBA website:

UK Border Agency | Fiance(e) or proposed civil partner of a British citizen or settled person

For the moment 3rd party support is allowed, but be aware that if you are not planning to make this move soon, that option may not be available and it would be up to your son to show that he as the means to support her solely on his own. It's rumored that a spouse would have to have a minimum income of £25,700. Until those changes come into effect, third party support is allowed and you must be able to show that there is £111.45/week to support her after paying rent and council tax along with adequate space to accommodate her.
Even under present rules, UKBA have significantly tightened maintenance requirement, to the point that many with little or no income of their own who rely mostly or entirely on third-party support get routinely turned down, using their discretion to rule over borderline or doubtful cases.

Looking at your son's situation, I'd say that even a quick application before announcement has a high chance of being refused.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Even if she would be able to get a fiance or spouse visa she will still have to pay the international student fees and would not have access to student loans, etc....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the advice. This is a very difficult situation and we have no way of solving it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.