Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the (probably correct) assumption that the fiance visa is valid only for 6 months after receiving and that is it, but my partner was wondering if the 6 months starts when I actually go over (and insisted I asked here). He wanted to know if we had the option to push wedding plans a bit further back if we needed to by having me go over to the UK a bit later than originally planned.

The visa is only valid for 6 months after receiving though, I imagine?

·
Registered
179 Posts
When you get your fiance visa it will have a validity of 6 months. For example 01/01/18 - 01/07/18. Even if you enter the UK on the 01/04/18, it will still only be valid until the 01/07/18. So entering halfway through the visa validity gives you no extra time to get married & apply for FLR(M).

If you need more time, then on your application form you can state the date you would like to enter the UK.
On our application form we stated that my fiance wanted to enter the UK on the 10th of December 2016.
So even though the visa was approved on the 17/10/2016, it was dated from the 10/12/2016 - 10/06/2016.

However, visa processing is taking so long at the moment that most people are actually getting their visas well after the date they stated they wanted to enter the UK. Which probably means their visas are dated from the day they were approved.

Reactions: Belm

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you get your fiance visa it will have a validity of 6 months. For example 01/01/18 - 01/07/18. Even if you enter the UK on the 01/04/18, it will still only be valid until the 01/07/18. So entering halfway through the visa validity gives you no extra time to get married & apply for FLR(M).

If you need more time, then on your application form you can state the date you would like to enter the UK.
On our application form we stated that my fiance wanted to enter the UK on the 10th of December 2016.
So even though the visa was approved on the 17/10/2016, it was dated from the 10/12/2016 - 10/06/2016.

However, visa processing is taking so long at the moment that most people are actually getting their visas well after the date they stated they wanted to enter the UK. Which probably means their visas are dated from the day they were approved.
That's some interesting and helpful info. Since I'm 2.5 months into waiting for a response on my Visa, is it too late to call or email about changing the date I want to go to the UK?

Speaking of 2.5 months, is it really taking a bit longer lately to get a decision? I haven't heard anything through email since about a week after I applied (fixed the courier number) and it has been a little worrying.

·
Super Moderator
18,086 Posts
No, you can't call and change the date.

Sheffield has recently taken on the processing for a lot more countries so things have slowed down. As you are nearing 3 months in all likelihood the issue date will be the day they finish processing.

Most of the processing time consists of your application sitting in a pile waiting to be seen and since Sheffield has taken on more work, it's reasonable to think that your application is still sitting in a pile.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.