Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Dear all,

I have a few question related to the fiance visa application, so instead of questioning them in different threads, thought it would be more convinient to have a new one opened...

First question. My application will be submitted online in the begininng of June and I will book an appointment for the 2nd of July. I was advised that the latest date of my trip to the UK should be beginning of September. So, assuming that I will indicate 1st of September as a date of my travel to England, and having the appointment to give a notice in a Register office on the 19th of November, would not it look a bit suspicios and too far away from the date of my arrival? The thing is we plan to have the actual date of my arrival to the UK in mid of October...

Second, should I get a certificate of my marital status, i.e. stating that I am not married? Among Supporting Documents guideline, UKBA states that some evidence of marital status should be presented.

Third question, we never called each other from the beginning of our relationship, we use Skype and emails. We also text each other via Whatsapp, which is a free texting tool used in smartphones like iPhone and Android. Would this be enough as a proof? Also, this Whatsapp can be saved in txt format and is it ok if I just print it off?

The fourth one, even though we met online in 2010 and physically we met only three times in 2011. We spent about seven weeks together in total. We are seeing each other in a month's time in Thailand, but I will already submit my online application for visa. After my return I am going to pass a biometrics and submit all documents. Is it too small time spent together? :( We are really tired of this long distance relationship and want to reunion asap.

Many thanks to all for help!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can answer your third and fourth questions.

Third question, we never called each other from the beginning of our relationship, we use Skype and emails. We also text each other via Whatsapp, which is a free texting tool used in smartphones like iPhone and Android. Would this be enough as a proof? Also, this Whatsapp can be saved in txt format and is it ok if I just print it off?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is absolutely fine. Print off the skype call logs and email screenshots together with a print out of the whatsapp messages as proof of communication. Just make sure they go back to last year at least. You don't have to print everything, just selected messages over this period.

The fourth one, even though we met online in 2010 and physically we met only three times in 2011. We spent about seven weeks together in total. We are seeing each other in a month's time in Thailand, but I will already submit my online application for visa. After my return I am going to pass a biometrics and submit all documents. Is it too small time spent together?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That should not be a problem. I met my wife in 2009 for 2 weeks then spent 3 weeks with her in 2010/2011 and got married in 2012, that was fine for UKBA. Just include plenty of pics/receipts/bookings of things you did together from your meetings and it should be enough. What is key is that you have been in constant communication since you have been together.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
First question. My application will be submitted online in the begininng of June and I will book an appointment for the 2nd of July. I was advised that the latest date of my trip to the UK should be beginning of September. So, assuming that I will indicate 1st of September as a date of my travel to England, and having the appointment to give a notice in a Register office on the 19th of November, would not it look a bit suspicios and too far away from the date of my arrival? The thing is we plan to have the actual date of my arrival to the UK in mid of October...
If it was me applying, I would try to time my application to be within three months of my intended arrival in the UK (ie mid October) rather than state 1 September when you know you won't be here. It might not make a difference, but it's better not to create unnecessary problems for yourself. If you apply mid to end July, you could name a travel date that is within three months of your visa application and BE here within three months too. Someone more knowledgeable than me will correct me if I'm speaking nonsense though.

Leaving a gap between arrival and ceremony is fine though (you'll have 6 months) and is sensible - you need to allow 7 days to be in the country before you can have your documents checked by a Registrar, and then a further 15 days before you are legally free to marry or become civil partners. We booked ours so that it was 4 months after my partner's arrival in the UK.

Second, should I get a certificate of my marital status, i.e. stating that I am not married? Among Supporting Documents guideline, UKBA states that some evidence of marital status should be presented.
This is absolutely essential if you've been married or in a civil union before. You need to provide proof that you are free to marry or become civil partners, or will soon be free. My partner's final divorce paper wasn't through when she applied, but she did have a court paper showing when the case was filed for hearing, and that it was undergoing a 20-day waiting period. If you've never been married, you don't need to provide anything.

We just took 12 screenprints of Skype - a selection to show how long we'd been in a relationship, and that we were indeed in a genuine relationship. No need to send every last thing. Screenshots should be fine - whichever chat application you used. A couple of photos or other evidence proving you've actually met in person is important.

The fourth one, even though we met online in 2010 and physically we met only three times in 2011. We spent about seven weeks together in total. We are seeing each other in a month's time in Thailand, but I will already submit my online application for visa. After my return I am going to pass a biometrics and submit all documents. Is it too small time spent together? :( We are really tired of this long distance relationship and want to reunion asap.
That's more than we did, and we were fine. We only met twice and spent 4 weeks together in total or thereabouts. Our online chat evidence showed we were on Skype video at just about every free minute though (we included a couple of screenshots showing times and lengths of calls).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2farapart, thank you for your valuable advices!
As for the date of submission the docs to the visa centre, the thing is I live in another city and at the time I a back from Thailand I am flying via the city where the visa centre is. So it would be convinient to stop by then and submit docs, instead of going there in a separate trip. That's why we are thinking of 2nd of July as a date of going to the visa centre. Therefore, the date of intention to travel mathematically should be mid of September (since I will apply online and pay in mid of June)
But in fact, the date of travel to the UK would be mid of October and we are going to book an appointment to give a notice at register office on the 19th of November.

Sorry for such detailed questioning. Although I don't want to give not correct information about my travel, October is the earliest time we cane make it to the UK. And also, we want to sort our visa application ASAP and save the flight costs to the visa centre.

Thank you again.

·
Super Moderator
5,181 Posts
2farapart, thank you for your valuable advices!
As for the date of submission the docs to the visa centre, the thing is I live in another city and at the time I a back from Thailand I am flying via the city where the visa centre is. So it would be convinient to stop by then and submit docs, instead of going there in a separate trip. That's why we are thinking of 2nd of July as a date of going to the visa centre. Therefore, the date of intention to travel mathematically should be mid of September (since I will apply online and pay in mid of June)
But in fact, the date of travel to the UK would be mid of October and we are going to book an appointment to give a notice at register office on the 19th of November.

Sorry for such detailed questioning. Although I don't want to give not correct information about my travel, October is the earliest time we cane make it to the UK. And also, we want to sort our visa application ASAP and save the flight costs to the visa centre.

Thank you again.
Good Morning, Zama!

Was just thinking... is there any way that you'd be able to apply online closer to the the date that you leave for Thailand? For example, apply on the 9th June or 14th June (I don't know when you are going to Thailand)?

I think that that would still give you a large enough window of time to be able to pick 2nd July for your Biometrics appointment and it would allow you to put your date of arrival in the UK 7th September or 12th September, which would be closer to your intended 1st October arrival date, and that 2-3 week gap would look better (as 2far has kindly suggested) than the month delay that your current thinking would give you... 2-3 weeks would be easier to explain (i.e. problems with leaving date at work; family emergency etc... all plausible reasons why you'd be delayed getting to the UK for a couple of weeks).

In any case, good luck to you and have a safe and fun trip to Thailand! :)

Reactions: Zama

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good Morning, Zama!

Was just thinking... is there any way that you'd be able to apply online closer to the the date that you leave for Thailand? For example, apply on the 9th June or 14th June (I don't know when you are going to Thailand)?

I think that that would still give you a large enough window of time to be able to pick 2nd July for your Biometrics appointment and it would allow you to put your date of arrival in the UK 7th September or 12th September, which would be closer to your intended 1st October arrival date, and that 2-3 week gap would look better (as 2far has kindly suggested) than the month delay that your current thinking would give you... 2-3 weeks would be easier to explain (i.e. problems with leaving date at work; family emergency etc... all plausible reasons why you'd be delayed getting to the UK for a couple of weeks).

In any case, good luck to you and have a safe and fun trip to Thailand! :)
We have already emailed the Register office to book a day to give a notice for the 19th of November. And we actually are travelling to the UK on the 28th of October. He is coming to Kazakhstan and then we live together.
Is it too critical to give a notice not long after you have arrived to the UK, i.e. after allowing 9 day in the country?
Because, if we do it in the following day - apply on 14th June and put the date of of intention to travel as 14th Sept, we still have two months to give notice. Would UKBA question if we do it this way?
What would be the best in this case - to write a note in the cover letter, saying that we allow ourselves some time to have flexibility in case familiy emergency, leaving date at work, etc.? Or we better simply apply later on in July-August which will be closer to 19th Nov?
Another dilemma....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have already emailed the Register office to book a day to give a notice for the 19th of November. And we actually are travelling to the UK on the 28th of October. He is coming to Kazakhstan and then we live together.
Is it too critical to give a notice not long after you have arrived to the UK, i.e. after allowing 9 day in the country?
Because, if we do it in the following day - apply on 14th June and put the date of of intention to travel as 14th Sept, we still have two months to give notice. Would UKBA question if we do it this way?
What would be the best in this case - to write a note in the cover letter, saying that we allow ourselves some time to have flexibility in case familiy emergency, leaving date at work, etc.? Or we better simply apply later on in July-August which will be closer to 19th Nov?
Another dilemma....
Dear all, I still have one question, which relates to timing between entering a country and giving a notice to a register office. We have booked the day to give a notice on 19th November. In my visa application I want to put the date of intention to travel as 30th Sept. Will not it look a bit odd that we have such a big gap between entering a country and giving a notice to marry (almost 2 months)?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I think the reason they give you a six month fiancee visa is because they understand getting everything organised for the wedding can take a bit of time.

If I'm mistaken, someone will be along to correct me so that you have good information, but I think the two month delay from arrival to walking down the aisle is perfectly acceptable:)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the reason they give you a six month fiancee visa is because they understand getting everything organised for the wedding can take a bit of time.

If I'm mistaken, someone will be along to correct me so that you have good information, but I think the two month delay from arrival to walking down the aisle is perfectly acceptable:)
Thank you :)
That's what I thought, but my fiance is worried and wants me to note in the application that I will travel to the UK in October, however, it is longer than three months, since I am applying in middle/end of June. That's why I want to put end of September as the date of intention to travel.
walking down the aisle is going to be three months after my arrival, on my fiance's birthday :)
we are giving a notice to get our wedding booked two months after my arrival.

Sorry I am being so precise, although I just want to make sure nothing could cause a rejection to our visa application!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
That's what I thought, but my fiance is worried and wants me to note in the application that I will travel to the UK in October, however, it is longer than three months, since I am applying in middle/end of June. That's why I want to put end of September as the date of intention to travel.
walking down the aisle is going to be three months after my arrival, on my fiance's birthday :)
we are giving a notice to get our wedding booked two months after my arrival.

Sorry I am being so precise, although I just want to make sure nothing could cause a rejection to our visa application!
Yes, the gap between the two is absolutely fine. As AnAmericanInScotland said, you're given six months because, depending on the size of the ceremony you intend, it can take a lot of organising and arranging. Especially with foreign nationals, you might want to fly family over and that too takes some pre-planning, and the UK can add their own delay to proceedings by not having bookings available early on, etc. You also have mandatory delays (you have to be in the UK 7 days and 7 nights before you can have that first appointment with the Registrar, and you must allow a further minimum 15 days between that appointment and your ceremony date).

Even though our ceremony was small (just a few family and friends, followed by small reception and a couple of day outings after), we still booked it later in the visa period. Firstly, we allowed over a month for the first 'intention to marry' appointment in case there was any delay either with my partner's visa or her flight date into the UK, and then we booked our ceremony for 6 weeks after the first registrar appointment (just in case there was any documentation hold-up there - ie if we took the wrong proof and had to rearrange). That latter delay we added because the Designated Registry Office warned that they only offered intention-to-marry appointments on Tuesday and Thurday mornings, and were already booking up pretty fast. We were also flying in three people from overseas and they needed to make their arrangements with work etc.

All in all, we became civil partners just over 4 months after my partner first arrived in the UK, and we applied for her FLR immediately after.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, the gap between the two is absolutely fine. As AnAmericanInScotland said, you're given six months because, depending on the size of the ceremony you intend, it can take a lot of organising and arranging. Especially with foreign nationals, you might want to fly family over and that too takes some pre-planning, and the UK can add their own delay to proceedings by not having bookings available early on, etc.

Even though our ceremony was small (just a few family and friends, followed by small reception and a couple of day outings after), we still booked it later in the visa period. Firstly, we allowed over a month for the first 'intention to marry' appointment in case there was any delay either with my partner's visa or her flight date into the UK, and then we booked our ceremony for 6 weeks after the first registrar appointment (just in case there was any documentation hold-up there - ie if we took the wrong proof and had to rearrange). That latter delay we added because the Designated Registry Office warned that they only offered intention-to-marry appointments on Tuesday and Thurday mornings, and were already booking up pretty fast. We were also flying in three people from overseas and they needed to make their arrangements with work etc.

All in all, we became civil partners just over 4 months after my partner first arrived in the UK, and we applied for her FLR immediately after.
That's great and such a relief! Thanks to all for your advices !

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just received the results from my last IELTS exam, have got 6.5 on every element apart from reading which was 9. Gutted :-(
With the new immigration rules are going to be implemented soon for family migrants, this most obviously will not be enough in case the English language requirements are increased upto band 7.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Just received the results from my last IELTS exam, have got 6.5 on every element apart from reading which was 9. Gutted :-(
With the new immigration rules are going to be implemented soon for family migrants, this most obviously will not be enough in case the English language requirements are increased upto band 7.
Try to remember that the proposed changes have not been announced as being implemented, and even when the changes are announced, there may be a period of time between the announcement of the changes, and the actual implementation.

So try not to worry just yet on that, not until an announcement has been made, and a date set for the new rules to be the new rules.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you, American in Scotland. I will try not to worry much about it...
If the changes are going to happen soon and there is going to be that high level of English required, I will simply apply before the rules are effective.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Try to remember that the proposed changes have not been announced as being implemented, and even when the changes are announced, there may be a period of time between the announcement of the changes, and the actual implementation.

So try not to worry just yet on that, not until an announcement has been made, and a date set for the new rules to be the new rules.
I have one more, probably silly question. What do you think, are they really going to increase English language level that much?
The current requirement is 4 - which is an equivalent of B1 and 7 is C1.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I have one more, probably silly question. What do you think, are they really going to increase English language level that much?
The current requirement is 4 - which is an equivalent of B1 and 7 is C1.
I have no clue beyond thinking the feeling is that standards should be very, very high.

I was going to congratulate you for doing so well on the test but wasn't sure if I was recalling correctly that 4 is the current pass. So now I can congratulate you-that's a very good score:)

Zama, your English is already very good-I'd even say it's excellent, and with time you will have complete command of the language-you already read and write at a very high level-you will have NO trouble communicating when you arrive, and I think that's what is important to the UKBA:)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have no clue beyond thinking the feeling is that standards should be very, very high.

I was going to congratulate you for doing so well on the test but wasn't sure if I was recalling correctly that 4 is the current pass. So now I can congratulate you-that's a very good score:)

Zama, your English is already very good-I'd even say it's excellent, and with time you will have complete command of the language-you already read and write at a very high level-you will have NO trouble communicating when you arrive, and I think that's what is important to the UKBA:)
Thank you so much, American in Scotland! You made me feel so much better now! :)
I will stop moaning and will try to complete my application before they have changed the rules.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello Everyone!

I have a couple of questions related to the documents for my fiance visa application. Would very much appreciate if anyone can advise what is the best thing to do.
1. My mother keeps her maiden name now and all her official documents state this name. However, at the time I was born my mum changed her last name to her husband's one (my dad) and my birth certificate states this as my mum's last name. So, when I am filling information about my parents, I put my mum's current name, but I also enclose my birth certificate where my mum has different name! Is it a problem? Should I explain it in additional information section?
2. Our letters of introduction addressed to Consular section of British Embassy in Almaty, however, my fiance's employment letter is addressed to UKBA visa section in almaty and it states the address of Visa Centre. Hope this is not a big deal?
3. We have asked Birmingham Register Office (where we plan to get married) to change the date of appointment to give a notice to the October, since I am planning to arrive in September, which they did, however, they didn't want to send us a written confirmation and all we have is our previous confirmation to give a notice in November. Should I enclose this document?
4. We are not technically engaged with my fiance and there was no engagement celebration, etc. Thus, our letters don't state anything about engagament, proposals. We only state that we intend to marry and do any further arrangements upon my arrival, in September. We plan to do a small ceremony for close family and that's why all the venue bookings will be made closer to date, which is December. Do you think it will affect the decision on my visa?

Thanks a lot to all!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Hello Everyone!

I have a couple of questions related to the documents for my fiance visa application. Would very much appreciate if anyone can advise what is the best thing to do.
1. My mother keeps her maiden name now and all her official documents state this name. However, at the time I was born my mum changed her last name to her husband's one (my dad) and my birth certificate states this as my mum's last name. So, when I am filling information about my parents, I put my mum's current name, but I also enclose my birth certificate where my mum has different name! Is it a problem? Should I explain it in additional information section?
2. Our letters of introduction addressed to Consular section of British Embassy in Almaty, however, my fiance's employment letter is addressed to UKBA visa section in almaty and it states the address of Visa Centre. Hope this is not a big deal?
3. We have asked Birmingham Register Office (where we plan to get married) to change the date of appointment to give a notice to the October, since I am planning to arrive in September, which they did, however, they didn't want to send us a written confirmation and all we have is our previous confirmation to give a notice in November. Should I enclose this document?
4. We are not technically engaged with my fiance and there was no engagement celebration, etc. Thus, our letters don't state anything about engagament, proposals. We only state that we intend to marry and do any further arrangements upon my arrival, in September. We plan to do a small ceremony for close family and that's why all the venue bookings will be made closer to date, which is December. Do you think it will affect the decision on my visa?

Thanks a lot to all!
Q1-yes, do explain it and don't worry about it:) You may find that you will not have enough room on the additional information section for explanations, so writing out an attachment sheet is a way a lot of us have coped. Remember to identify the specific section you are explaining so the ECO can quickly refer to the appropriate section.

Q2-I think that will be OK, ours were similarly addressed. I know some are also adding the salutation "Dear Entry Clearance Officer" or "Dear ECO" as well. I noted a couple of Joppa's recent posts saying that was right, too.

Q3-I would enclose that because it shows you are actively planning your wedding. I don't think evidence of engagement parties is as important as that solid evidence that you are officially organising a ceremony.

Q4-see number three:D

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.