Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I’m a New Zealander applying for a UK fiance visa. I posted off my application to Manila on the 14th April. I regularly email them for updates and the replies usually always say the same thing “I have tracked the status (GWF*******) and found it is yet to be assessed by an Entry Clearance Officer (ECO)”. But this time, I received an email back saying “I have tracked the status (GWF********) and found that a decision on your application has been delayed whilst further enquiries are being conducted”. Eeeeeeek. Now I'm really worried, so I joined this forum to figure out where I could have gone wrongg.

I suddenly have this horrible sinking feeling... as my fiance and I are a heterosexual couple, but I have applied for the settlement "proposed civil partnership" visa because when I first applied online I found it so confusing that there was no option for a proposed marriage visa. I figured that the visa had to have the word 'proposed' in it and that was the closest thing.

Have I applied for the wrong visa?! God I hope not, it's cost nearly $2,000. Any advice gratefully accepted!

·
Registered
171 Posts
That could be a problem. You're not entering into a civil partnership, you're marrying. The correct category/subcategory should have been Settlement > Settlement > Marriage. You should probably acknowledge this mistake, though you're right that the wording is not clear and you would not be nearly the first person to have this misunderstanding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh my goodness.... I'm absolutely freaking out right now. This is a nightmare :-(

I've never been so worried. Ok, I can't speak to an entry clearance office directly, as when you phone or email, you always go through to a Manila call centre. I assume they simply take messages and escalate them where necessary.

I guess my only option is to call them immediately, tell them what has happened and ask for somebody to get in touch with me regarding my options?

Any and all suggestions welcomed!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Choosing the wrong visa category is usually an automatic refusal, but you didn't choose an entirely wrong category (e.g. non-settlement vs. settlement). If your decision has been "delayed" then it's possible they've figured out the error and are investigating it, but this is just speculation. I would have to defer to someone else's expertise on that but my instinct is to tell you to call.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took your advice and I called Manila first thing this morning to explain my terrible mistake to the call centre operator. She assured me that she'd escalate my case to the Entry Clearance Officer and ask he/she to contact me.

This afternoon I get an email...

"We have commenced the processing of your visa application. Having assessed the application, the Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) requires additional supporting documents, so he/she may fully consider your application. All visa applicants must meet the requirements of the UK Immigration Rules. The onus is on you, the applicant, to provide all relevant documentation when making an application. We are, therefore, giving you a limited opportunity to provide the following documentation:

- payslips covering the six month period prior to the date of application (09/04/2015) along with the March 2015 bank statement showing this salary payment going into his account
- a letter from Morgan Stanley that sets out salary and contract details

Please note that you should send these documents within ten (10) working days from the date of this notification through any of the following methods
"

No mention of the infamous sub-category failing... dare I hope that they're willing to proceed regardless?! It seems too good to be true and I don't want to get my hopes up. I went through the 'marriage' application today, so I'll be all ready if a second application is necessary, and discovered that it is exactly identical to the 'proposed civil partnership' application.

Nail biting stuff. Thanks for your advice @secretlobster.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the update!

Hi guys,

I thought I'd update the thread, juuuust in case anybody else ever makes the same mistake as I did. In the end, it all turned out okay. The whole process has taken 7 weeks (38 working days) from start to finish. Here's a timeline with all the info...

13th April 2015 - Biometric information taken in Wellington, NZ

14th April - Application posted from Auckland to Manila Processing Centre

25th April - I realise I've applied under the wrong visa category, panic, and ring the Manila call centre to advise them of my mistake. From NZ the number is (04) 488 0091

26th May - I receive an email from MANILVisaInfo
"We have commenced the processing of your visa application. Having assessed the application, the Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) requires additional supporting documents, so he/she may fully consider your application"

26th May - I email the requested information back to the entry clearance officer at Manila.Deferrals

26th May - I receive an automatic reply to my email, from Manila.Deferrals
"Thank you for contacting the Deferrrals Team of the UK Visas & Immigration in Manila. Please be advised that the receipt of this automated message is a confirmation that we have received your e-mail. We wish to advise you that this mailbox is ONLY for applicants whom we have contacted to submit additional documents/ further information. Unrelated e-mails will not be forwarded and will be deleted".

2nd June - I receive a generic email from MANILVisaInfo
"A decision has been made on your application and your documents are being returned to the Visa Application Centre (VAC). You will be contacted again by the VAC once these documents have been received and they are ready for you to collect. If you have chosen to have your documents couriered to you, these will be despatched by the VAC once they have been received".

5th June - My passport arrives in the mail, complete with new visa!

:plane:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Kiwi_charis
Congratulations for you! also I had the same problem. I would like to know how can I do "mail" to UKVI? How did you do the mail? Help me. :confused2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.