Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is it ok (legal) for me to book an appointment to give notice for next year and/or book dates for a ceremony with the registrars before applying for a Fiance visa?
Currently my fiance is on a student visa here (ends January) and is going back to America to apply for her fiance visa in December.
We have already booked a venue (no deposit paid yet) so we want to ensure we get a registrar that day.

Thanks

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Your fiancé, if Tier 4 student visa was for longer than 6 months, can get married on her existing visa and then switch to leave to remain as spouse without having to return to US. She can do what you propose, but then she will have to pay again after the ceremony to switch to spouse leave to remain.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are going to America on holiday in December (we booked this before I proposed) so we have no choice but to go for a fiance visa :)

But just to confirm it is not illegal to book all the appoinments and ceremonies with the registrars right now?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Some registrars won't book anything without being shown a fiancée visa or marriage visitor visa, especially as her existing Tier 4 expires before the proposed date of marriage.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted to double check with you, I spoke to the registrar on the phone and he was willing to let me pay and book everything in advance even though I explained the above.
Guess I'll call him back and book it, I just didn't want to 'get in to trouble' with UKBA by doing this.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hi,

Is it ok (legal) for me to book an appointment to give notice for next year and/or book dates for a ceremony with the registrars before applying for a Fiance visa?
Currently my fiance is on a student visa here (ends January) and is going back to America to apply for her fiance visa in December.
We have already booked a venue (no deposit paid yet) so we want to ensure we get a registrar that day.

Thanks
Before you throw out Joppa's idea of getting married on the student visa, have you looked at the expense of getting both the fiancee and spouse visas? They are roughly $1400 each. Also, you have to qualify by making at least 18,600 pounds per year to get either one. Your fiancee's income won't matter.

Just some things to consider.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before you throw out Joppa's idea of getting married on the student visa, have you looked at the expense of getting both the fiancee and spouse visas? They are roughly $1400 each. Also, you have to qualify by making at least 18,600 pounds per year to get either one. Your fiancee's income won't matter.

Just some things to consider.
Yea in some ways I wish I had found this forum months ago. Maybe there is another visa route?
We are flying to America for New Years and both have a return ticket. My fiancé has 7 days left on her visa in January when we are due to come back. When we booked the flight she was sure of a sponsored job - which fell through.
So we are looking to change her return flight to February when hopefully her visa would have come through (paying priority service).
She really wants a lot of her family over for the wedding hence we are going for date next year in May/June so all the guests can book their holidays etc.
Is there any other visa that would mean we don't spend 6/7 weeks apart (and less importantly the extra $$$)?
And yes she is a Tier 4 student recently graduated. Luckily I do meet the new financial requirement.
Any more help very welcome, thanks!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.