Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I’m getting ready to submit my application for the fiancé visa in about a week and a half, and I wanted to post my proposed application and make sure I’m going in the right direction. Here's my checklist:

Applicant Documents:

• Printed Application VAF4A (w/ healthcare surcharge ref # written on the front)
  • Printed Appendix 2
  • Letter of Introduction
  • Current Passport (In Ziploc Bag)
  • Passport Photo(s) – UK Size (In Ziploc Bag)
  • Biometrics Confirmation and Receipt
  • Priority Service Receipt
  • Fully Addressed Prepaid Shipping Label and Envelope

Sponsor Documents:

• Letter of Sponsorship
  • Copies of Sponsor’s UK and Irish Passports
  • Financial Paperwork:
  1. Building Society ISA – 6 months records
  2. Index-Linked Savings Certificates – 6 month records
  3. Fixed-Interest Savings Certificates – 6 month records
  4. Premium Bonds – 6 month records
  5. Bank Account Records indicating liquidation of bonds and savings certificates (how far back should I go, since the liquidation will be very recent in the account?)
  6. Signed letters from each institution indicating that these documents are official
  7. Signed letter from parents stating that the money was a gift/inheritance (some things he has had in his name for years)
  • Accommodation Proof:
  1. Signed Letter from Parents
  2. Council Tax Bill on the House (how recent does this have to be?)
  3. Property Inspection
  4. Land Registry (they did the 3quid online version, is this alright?)

Wedding Arrangements:

• Engagement Ring Receipt
  • Wedding Dress Receipt (I bought mine at a low price so it might seem a bit odd...will this help or hinder the application?)
  • Signed letter from either the vicar, parish office, or register office indicating that they have agreed to marry us
  • Printouts of e-mails with Vicar discussing arrangements at the church
  • Printouts from the Wedding Planning workshop my fiancé attended for us
  • Wedding Ring workshop planning e-mails (we want to make our wedding rings)

Proof of Relationship:

• 15 Photos on paper with descriptions (could I alternatively put these in plastic photo holders with descriptions on the back?)
  • 1-2 pages of Skype Chats every 6 months from when we became a long-distance couple
  • Copies of Japanese visas to prove that we met in Japan
  • Copies of overnight bus reservations for trips we took in Japan (is this needed?)
  • Itineraries from every visit to the US and UK over the years (I also have tickets but I think itineraries are enough in this case?)
  • 3 Cards from each of us over the years (do I put these on paper with descriptions, like the photos?)

And one last general question - do all of my documents for submission need to be on A4 sized paper?

In particular I'm nervous about the financial requirements, since we have them spread across so many accounts, but if there is anything I'm lacking that could make my application better or anything you think might not be needed, please let me know. I greatly appreciate any help given!

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
Looks ok to me.
Give full details of cashing your investment as far as it relates to your application (amount you are submitting).
A4 is preferred, though if you are sending documents to Sheffield, they can be US quarto size.
Financial requirement looks fine to me. You may like to attach a simple spreadsheet showing how they all add up.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks ok to me.
Give full details of cashing your investment as far as it relates to your application (amount you are submitting).
A4 is preferred, though if you are sending documents to Sheffield, they can be US quarto size.
Financial requirement looks fine to me. You may like to attach a simple spreadsheet showing how they all add up.
Thanks for taking a look, Joppa! I'll definitely add a spreadsheet in both the physical application, and the last part of the appendix as well.

When you say give the full details of cashing investment, what would the best way to go about that be? My original thought was to get letters from the institution that holds the investments stating they've been held for 6 months and that they were liquidated on a certain date, and then get records from his bank account for the past 6 months, and a letter from them stating the amount that was liquidated/added into the account and where it came from. Is there anything I can do to improve this?

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
Just the statement from bank etc over 6 months should show all that, so you don't need a letter. Just make sure you show how much from each investment goes towards the total.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just the statement from bank etc over 6 months should show all that, so you don't need a letter. Just make sure you show how much from each investment goes towards the total.
Would that work for all the institutions then, and would it be better to have records going back 8 months where applicable? I'm thinking something like this for financial:

-Spreadsheet showing add-up of money from different accounts
-8 month records for:
-Fixed-Interest Savings Certificates
-Index-Linked Savings Certificates
-Building Society ISA
-6 month records for:
-Premium Bonds
-HSBC Account
-Letter from parents explaining origin of money

Also, we are able to get the savings booklet from the building society - will we have to send in the original booklet or is there usually another official print that we can get to send in?

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding or anything, I just want to make sure I make it as clear as I can when I send this in. ^^;;

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi again! I have an update on this, and since this is such a peculiar situation I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

So, the institution that holds the certificates and bonds, NS&I, has told my fiance that they don't print out any sort of long-term records or give signed letters of verification - just letters with updated bond/certificate information on them, and only when there are changes to the account, from what I'm being told. I have letters from November and December proving when the money was put in/the it's been in holding for at least 6 months, and these are printouts directly from NS&I, but is this going to be good enough for immigration in combination with the other proofs we have lined up? I just want to make sure before he gathers up the documents or liquidates the bond or anything.

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
So you only have prof that the money was deposited 6 months ago but no proof that it's still there?

If that's the case then it's not sufficient. You need a statement issued no more than 28 days before your application showing that the money has been held for at least 6 months.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So you only have prof that the money was deposited 6 months ago but no proof that it's still there?

If that's the case then it's not sufficient. You need a statement issued no more than 28 days before your application showing that the money has been held for at least 6 months.
My apologies, re-reading what I wrote it wasn't clear what I meant.

I have the following:

-official readouts from November and December for bonds (Dec) and savings certificates (Nov)
-official readouts from June 10 and June 12 for both the bonds and certificates

My cause of worry is that NS&I doesn't issue statements covering longer periods of time, like you would find with a bank or ISA. I was just wondering if having both of the above statements would be proof enough he held the money there for 6(+) months.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, just while it's on my mind, I keep getting mixed responses, but does anyone know for sure whether or not index-linked savings certificates and fixed-interest savings certificates MUST be liquidated before the application date? I was told before that "Unless the savings certificate have immediate withdrawal facilities (penalty or not) liquidate them." - but how do I tell if they have immediate withdraw facilities? My fiance can take out the money any time he wants, though there's a penalty (not a problem from what I've read) and it'll be in his bank account within 3-8 days...but he can do the same with bonds but they need to be liquidated...

I don't know, I'm absolutely off my rocker sick so I'm probably making this a bigger deal than it actually is.

Is there a list of acceptable forms of savings, forms of savings that must be liquidated, and unacceptable forms of savings, while I'm at it?

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
Immediately available means if you liquidate today, you get the money today. If it takes 3-8 days to liquidate, that's not immediately available and you will need to be liquidate before you can apply.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Immediately available means if you liquidate today, you get the money today. If it takes 3-8 days to liquidate, that's not immediately available and you will need to be liquidate before you can apply.
Alright, we've set to liquidate the bonds and certificates, they should be in his bank by next week, then he can get the bank records and we'll be alright. I was just nervous because this seems like a rather strange way of meeting the requirement and I've not seen other ask about the certificates, and I don't want to make mistakes with declaring everything.

Thank you very much for the help and advice! I'll definitely let people know how it goes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just another quick question - is this spreadsheet clear about the financial situation, or is it too confusing? I was planning on inserting it in the additional information bit and as a standalone copy in the financial documents I physically send in (obviously blocked off important info but formatted it how I would fill it in).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.