Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping you could me some advice pertaining to my application. I am a UK citizen who is going to propose to my Russian girlfriend currently living in Finland, and my aim is for us to get married in the UK through the Fiance visa route. First of all our background;

We met in January this year, when she was on a tourist visa to London. We hit it off immediately and she even came back solely to see me a few weeks after this initial visit. Since then we have traveled to see each other every other week (to a great cost as you can imagine!), with us visiting Bucharest, Budapest, Vienna, Me going to Finland a lot, and her visiting here again before her tourist visa expired. We Skype almost every night for 1-2 hours at least when we are apart, and text each other almost all day every day (little love birds!).

We both really want to be together so I have been investigating this route, and after I propose I want to have everything straight for us to apply almost immediately. I have the following idea in mind for our application;

Photos/Plane Tickets and Hotel Bookings from every trip (again we have seen each other, and will see each other every weekend from now until almost October, including some longer holidays of over a week).

Skype logs

Some selected WhatsApp/Email/Facebook Messenger chats (No way can I print all these!)
Personal Statements, from me, her, her family (I have visited them), my family (she hasn't visted but has skyped)

Some proof that I have started learning Russian (I did this so I can speak to her family - I can now a bit!)

Intention to Marry: I have already booked an appointment for us with the registrars in London for approx. 2 months after when I imagine we will apply for the visa, and have confirmation of this. I also have provisionally booked a reception venue, spoken to and met a vicar and arranged a provisional wedding date too. Incidently I want this to be in a church which is not in my parish so I have been attending worship here to allow me to do this (again will mention in application). Also the receipt from the wedding ring

I currently rent an apartment that explicitly states I can have up to 1 other person move in without needing to notify the landlord so will copy this and reference that part of the lease in the application

We more than satisfy the income requirements too, neither of us have ever been married before. I have kept all my payslips/P60's/Bank Statements and will also include a letter from my work

Here's where my questions come in for those that have read this far. I used to live in the States, and was together with an American girl for 5 years who I sponsored to move to the UK. This relationship ended two years ago, which was after she already received her IDLTR, but I am completely paranoid that this will have a negative effect on our application. The UKBA says that it will not lead to a rejection, but will lead to further investigation. As far as I am concerned, our case is totally airtight, as we are a genuine couple and can easily prove this, and have satisfied all the other requirements. I cannot find anyone online with experience being in my situation so I thought I would turn to here for advice?

Also how am I supposed to prove that any previous relationship has broken down in my application? Neither of us have been married before, so is a sentence in each of our personal statements enough? Should I directly mention my past sponsorsing/relationship or just leave it out?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also forgot to mention I am not planning on proposing until the end of August (with visa application in September when I am in Russia with her for two weeks).

She has always wanted a proper church wedding, that is why I am doing so much behind the scenes now!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You'll need to wait for one of the moderators to answer, but I can say you can't just leave out that information. There is a specific question in the application asking if the sponsor has sponsored anyone else to come to the UK.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll need to wait for one of the moderators to answer, but I can say you can't just leave out that information. There is a specific question in the application asking if the sponsor has sponsored anyone else to come to the UK.
Ok thanks - I don't want to hide it, but I am wondering to what extent I should talk about it myself in the other paperwork we will submit. Is it best not to mention? Or should I explicitly write that we are not together anymore, the relationship broke down naturally etc. (she actually just got engaged this week to someone else as well - should I include that information?!).

I might be worrying too much for no reason, I imagine they just don't want people to use this method for getting people visa's into the country for no reason. Both my relationships are genuine, and under vastly different circumstances, with different nationalities.

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping you could me some advice pertaining to my application. I am a UK citizen who is going to propose to my Russian girlfriend currently living in Finland, and my aim is for us to get married in the UK through the Fiance visa route. First of all our background;

We met in January this year, when she was on a tourist visa to London. We hit it off immediately and she even came back solely to see me a few weeks after this initial visit. Since then we have traveled to see each other every other week (to a great cost as you can imagine!), with us visiting Bucharest, Budapest, Vienna, Me going to Finland a lot, and her visiting here again before her tourist visa expired. We Skype almost every night for 1-2 hours at least when we are apart, and text each other almost all day every day (little love birds!).

We both really want to be together so I have been investigating this route, and after I propose I want to have everything straight for us to apply almost immediately. I have the following idea in mind for our application;

Photos/Plane Tickets and Hotel Bookings from every trip (again we have seen each other, and will see each other every weekend from now until almost October, including some longer holidays of over a week).
Plane ticket receipts are adequate. You don't also need hotel booking receipts. Limit yourself to 10-15 photos.

Skype logs

Some selected WhatsApp/Email/Facebook Messenger chats (No way can I print all these!)
Personal Statements, from me, her, her family (I have visited them), my family (she hasn't visted but has skyped)
Since you have only been together a short time 1-2 log pages maybe every 2 months. Personal statements from family are subjective and carry no weight so they are not necessary. You should write a letter of sponsorship and she should write a letter of introduction. They should broadly cover your relationship in non-emotional terms and point out common interests and plans for the future each in your own words.

Some proof that I have started learning Russian (I did this so I can speak to her family - I can now a bit!)
Not necessary.

Intention to Marry: I have already booked an appointment for us with the registrars in London for approx. 2 months after when I imagine we will apply for the visa, and have confirmation of this. I also have provisionally booked a reception venue, spoken to and met a vicar and arranged a provisional wedding date too. Incidently I want this to be in a church which is not in my parish so I have been attending worship here to allow me to do this (again will mention in application). Also the receipt from the wedding ring
This sounds fine. Do keep in mind that the notice period is now 28 days and if referred to UKVI it could be as long as 70 days.

I currently rent an apartment that explicitly states I can have up to 1 other person move in without needing to notify the landlord so will copy this and reference that part of the lease in the application
You need a letter from the landlord which specifically gives her permission to live there.

We more than satisfy the income requirements too, neither of us have ever been married before. I have kept all my payslips/P60's/Bank Statements and will also include a letter from my work
Read through FM 1.7 to decide what category you want to apply under. Sounds like A or B. Remember all financial documents must be original or authenticated.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...pendix_FM_Annex_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

Here's where my questions come in for those that have read this far. I used to live in the States, and was together with an American girl for 5 years who I sponsored to move to the UK. This relationship ended two years ago, which was after she already received her IDLTR, but I am completely paranoid that this will have a negative effect on our application. The UKBA says that it will not lead to a rejection, but will lead to further investigation. As far as I am concerned, our case is totally airtight, as we are a genuine couple and can easily prove this, and have satisfied all the other requirements. I cannot find anyone online with experience being in my situation so I thought I would turn to here for advice?

Also how am I supposed to prove that any previous relationship has broken down in my application? Neither of us have been married before, so is a sentence in each of our personal statements enough? Should I directly mention my past sponsorsing/relationship or just leave it out?
The application asks marital status so you tick single if neither of you have been married.

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
The letters of sponsorship and introduction should cover your relationship and nothing else. There is a section for additional information. You could put a few brief sentences there. Straight and to the point.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Plane ticket receipts are adequate. You don't also need hotel booking receipts. Limit yourself to 10-15 photos.

Since you have only been together a short time 1-2 log pages maybe every 2 months. Personal statements from family are subjective and carry no weight so they are not necessary. You should write a letter of sponsorship and she should write a letter of introduction. They should broadly cover your relationship in non-emotional terms and point out common interests and plans for the future each in your own words.

Not necessary.

This sounds fine. Do keep in mind that the notice period is now 28 days and if referred to UKVI it could be as long as 70 days.

You need a letter from the landlord which specifically gives her permission to live there.

Read through FM 1.7 to decide what category you want to apply under. Sounds like A or B. Remember all financial documents must be original or authenticated.

The application asks marital status so you tick single if neither of you have been married.
Thanks for the extensive advice. Some further questions;

1) You said we will have been together a short time, by the point of application, it will be about 9 months, is this classed as short time by the UKBA? Between January and September we will not have spent more than 1 week and 4 days without seeing each other, both of us spending thousands of pounds to do this, will this help show the genuineness of our relationship though?

2) For the notice period being 28 days. That is what the registrars said - meaning we have to have the appointment at least 28 days before the planned wedding? At the moment I think we will apply for the visa around the 15th September, the appointment is booked in mid-November, and the wedding dates I have discussed with the vicar/reception venue is 12th December. Do you think this will be ok? It might get to a point soon where I will have to pay a large deposit to retain the reception venue (approx £2k). Would it be foolish of me to do this? Its a lovely place, and I want the wedding to be special, but do not want to be out of pocket should things go pear shaped!

3) So for the previous marital status, do you think my existing circumstances will affect the application badly?

Again, I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The time period doesn't matter as long as you have met in person, you stay in contact when not together and the relationship is genuine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just wanted to bump this with some further questions now we are closer to application date. Basically a sanity check for my timeline....

We will be submitting all the documents in St Petersburg, Russia (UKBA says 91% done within 30 days - I am assuming Fiance falls under the Settlement category) on 1 September 2015.

Currently our wedding date is booked with the church for 16th January 2016 and we have also provisionally booked a reception venue that wants a £2,500 deposit in the next few weeks....We have an appointment booked to get the Superintendents license in November (that I can move later if necessary) but I was wondering do you think we will be ok to get everything done in time? I don't want to lose the reception venue; it is perfect, but I am wary about paying this much money up front and risk being burned later. For proof of intention to marry we already have the signed church booking agreement from the vicar (they allowed me to take this with us), and also the confirmation of appointment with the registrars, so I am not too concerned about having the reception booked for this purpose. I just don't want to have someone else take the date.

Also there really isn't a whole lot of information about the new rules surrounding the Superintendents license online, and our church is uncertain about this too as they haven't been through this process before, but 28 days prior to our wedding is 19th December. This is 79 working days from the date of our application so feels like enough, but I am not sure. How often do these get referred to be longer than 28 days, and if so, who makes that decision and why? Surely if she has already been approved the visa there is no concerns about validity of the wedding?

Also should I go ahead and book the deposit on the venue? I am still really concerned about my past sponsorship of an unmarried partner (US national and a relationship that ended over two years ago, we were never married) having an effect on this? In your experience will this mean it takes a lot longer for our application? The St Pete processing still says all are done within 60 working days.

To give a little background further to my original email, we have not gone more than a week and a half without seeing each other since May despite living in different countries. Including spending over a week in Asia, me spending almost two weeks in Russia, I have met her family (she cant meet mine yet as isnt allowed another UK tourist visa for a few months), our relationship is genuine as it comes and I truly cannot imagine spending my life without this woman. We have each spent thousands of pounds seeing each other, using up all our free time and money, she is going to quit her job at a global company in Finland to move with me (and thus will loose her Finnish right to abode in the process), so along with the deposit and plans we have a hell of a lot riding on this! Both our families are really supportive and all of our potential wedding guests are aware of the date (which we will also submit proof of this in our pack).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also I just saw that this month they launched a priority service for Russian Settlement applications. I will definitely be using this then! Does anyone have any experience with how long realistically these take (says ideally 15 working days).

Thanks! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.