Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
So I am currently living in the UK on my Fiance visa which expires towards the end of January.

My Fiance and I are going in to give our notice at the registrar on Monday.

We are a genuine couple, we live together (for the last 3 months), and have been dating for almost 18 months, so I am pretty confident that I do know a lot about her. However, I wanted to check and see if anyone could tell us what kind of questions they might ask at the interview to make sure we are extra prepared. For example, I had read that they often ask your parents occupations, which my partner didn't know (or at least she couldn't remember off the top of her head). She has never met my parents and I am not super close with my family so I don't talk about them all that much.

Are there any other slightly odd questions we should prepare for? I have heard some horror stories so I just want to make sure we are extra ready.

Also, I suffer from MAJOR nerves under any situation like this. Every time I go through customs at the airport, or go for a job interview, or even get asked a bunch of questions in a doctor's office I get major anxiety and am shaky and sweaty and its just awful.. I think it goes back to my huge fear of public speaking...

Anyway yeah, knowing we are extra prepared will hopefully make me a bit less nervous :p

Thanks

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Perhaps it depends on the registrar, but my now husband and I didn't get asked any questions when we gave notice to marry other than the basics (our professions, ages, length of relationship, what our parents did). We didn't get asked any personal questions, so perhaps you'll have a more relaxing time than you expect!

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
In some doubtful cases, couples have been separated and asked questions about each other and their families, so beware.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In some doubtful cases, couples have been separated and asked questions about each other and their families, so beware.
Haha, oh man, i just KNOW this is going to happen with us...
I will look so dodgy because I get so nervous!

The last time I was pulled over for a Random Breath Test while driving I was so nervous I couldnt even speak! (Even though I was completely sober).. The cop was shocked when I blew 0.0 on the machine. So he thought I must be on drugs and made me do a random drug test too. He was so confused when that all came up clear too.. So he searched my car!! Nothing there of course... He begrudgingly let me go, but I could tell he thought I was up to no good.

:p

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
It's not so much your appearance or demeanour as personal circumstances. Large age difference, unable to communicate well in any language etc are tell-tale sign of a dubious relationship and may lead to close interrogation. Designated register office staff are minded to look out for sham marriages and report the couples to Home Office.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm glad I knew that my now-husband and I might be separated during our interview when giving notice because when it did happen, I didn't freak out too much. We were asked pretty innocuous questions, like where we were born and our birth dates. It ended up being a relatively pleasant experience!

The night before we quizzed each other on things we thought we might be asked. I get nervous in situations like that too so I wanted to make sure I could remember the name and birth date of his deceased father. I wasn't asked about him though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, turns out I had nothing to worry about.
They just asked us a few very simple questions about eachother. It was a breeze.

I didn't know her exact job title for her new job ("Content Distribution Executive"? Really??), and she even got my middle name mixed up! :-/ but it was fine. The lady was really lovely and it was actually quite a pleasant experience :)

We are off to visit the registry office this weekend to see our notice posted on the board!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.