Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe someone can give me some clarity on this.

For fiance visa purposes one needs to give proof of intent to get a civil partnership?

How exactly can we prove this if we can't give notice to the registrar until I have the visa and am in the UK?

Regards

Jan

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
You have to show that you've made some arrangements towards getting a civil partnership and have receipts or a paper trail to prove it. Have you bought rings? Will you have some sort of celebration? Is there a venue? Invitations? Flowers? Have you contacted the register and reserve a provisional date?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the reply!
I have a receipt and valuation certificate of the ring so far.

We don't have any plans yet for the ceremony. So you can book a registered venue without having to give notice?

On a different note, they will obviously take into account that civil partnerships are not always as "elaborate" as a normal wedding? Ie if its just something small at registrar's office, no formal invites etc etc. As long as there is a booking to show intent? (And a ring of course ;) )

We are only planning on submitting the visa in January, but because processing times are so long in SA we want it perfect the first time.

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
You can't actually book but you can make a provisional booking. Show that you've made enquires through email about potential dates. Plenty of people don't have big weddings and a register ceremony is fine but even that requires some planning. Maybe you're going to have some friends join you at a pub for a drink. Show that you've contacted them about reserving a large table or the back room. You get the drift.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far we have the following:

Receipt for deposit for ceremony at Ealing town hall
Correspondence with registrar
Receipt for wedding band
Correspondence with photographer.

The applications in SA take 8 to 12 weeks to process. We are applying end of January, but my partner is coming down to visit me the whole of December. Can we state in the application that we are still looking into venues and that the CP only takes place end of July 2014? Will the above information be sufficient?

This is the only requirement I am quite worried about for application. Surely we will be serious about getting the CP to take place after paying £154 deposit?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.