Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah! Ok so I've posted a few threads on here with regards to moving to Vancouver only to have my fiance say he wants to move to the US, Los Angeles to be exact.

I have visited the US on numerous occaisions but not LA, I have loved it. I do love the US but I just keep hearing all these horror stories like "it's not what it's made out on the tv" "drugs/gangs/violence" "america is on its knees with the recessions"

I have never visited LA. I'm scared I'd visit, see all the nice parts, move over and be like wtf have I just done?? Can anyone you know give me a bit of light on whether the horror stories are true. Don't get me wrong I'm not going to think/expect it's all squeeky clean I stay in Scotland and beleive me it's no rose. I understand everywhere will have bad and good parts I'm just wanting to know if it's worth giving up Vancouver or should I just try and persuade him Canada is where it's at...

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
It is like all big cities - good and bad neighborhoods. Use common sense and you should be fine.
Part of the decision should be the questions - what visa do we qualify for and how will we make a living.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is like all big cities - good and bad neighborhoods. Use common sense and you should be fine.
Part of the decision should be the questions - what visa do we qualify for and how will we make a living.
My fiance is a qualified electrician with a lot of experience. I have done all my research into moving to Canada and according to the website cic.gc.ca we could apply for an employment based visa(we are getting married in scotland before leaving) My fiance's aunty has lived in Canada for 20 years also, so on paper Canada seems more realistic for us. I am struggling to find online any websites that can help and tell me if we are eligible to apply for a visa for US or if we are wasting our times.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
My fiance is a qualified electrician with a lot of experience. .
Unfortunately his UK skills and certifications are not recognized in the US.

I have done all my research into moving to Canada and according to the website cic.gc.ca we could apply for an employment based visa(we are getting married in scotland before leaving).
This looks like one the score of commercial sites. This is the site fo the Candian High Commission Visa and Immigration Information From the UK to Canada

My fiance's aunty has lived in Canada for 20 years also, so on paper Canada seems more realistic for us..
Paper is patient. Have you been to Canada or the US? What do you know about daily life at either place?

I am struggling to find online any websites that can help and tell me if we are eligible to apply for a visa for US or if we are wasting our times.
Stickies at the beginning of the forum here, search function will bring a number of questions about electricians, uscis.gov and travel.state.gov are the official sites. To be honest - it is highlyl unlikely for you to move to the US on an employer sponsored visa. Read through the requirements.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately his UK skills and certifications are not recognized in the US.

This looks like one the score of commercial sites. This is the site fo the Candian High Commission Visa and Immigration Information From the UK to Canada

Paper is patient. Have you been to Canada or the US? What do you know about daily life at either place?

Stickies at the beginning of the forum here, search function will bring a number of questions about electricians, uscis.gov and travel.state.gov are the official sites. To be honest - it is highlyl unlikely for you to move to the US on an employer sponsored visa. Read through the requirements.
So basically our chances of immigrating to the US are zero to non?

Thank you for that website!! I really have trouble figuring out wether or not some sites are legit!!

I have been to Vancouver when I was a very small child, my fiance visited when he was in his early 20's and loved it, his father goes every year to see his sister & he wants to move over when he retires. But somehow my fiances is now set his mind on the US. I was looking to visit this summer on a purely research basis not a holiday before I apply and get a feel of the place, where to stay etc.

thanks for your repsonse btw! This is so helpful.

·
Administrator
51,628 Posts
Actually, the Welcome Page | Page d'accueil website is the official Canadian immigration site - or at least the portal into the government site. The site twostep gave you is also a legit Canadian government site.

As an electrician, your fiancé's chances for scoring a work visa are going to be much better in Canada. And Vancouver is a super city, with a milder climate than much of Canada.

The US and particularly LA is going to be tough right now. Besides the visa issue, the US is starting to recover from the recession, but it's slow going and LA is an expensive town in any event. There is no "general" work visa for the US - he'd have to find a job with an employer able and willing to sponsor him for a visa. And on a dependent visa, you'd be a "trailing spouse" unable to work.

Canada probably has better opportunities, and it's right next door to the US should you decide to give it a shot later on when the economy has recovered a bit more.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.