Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here.

I am a UK citizen and live in the UK and I wish to marry a lady from Russia who lives over there. I have seen a posting in another forum about the merit of asking for a fiance visa for the lady to come here first and then marry.

Do people have experience into what leads to a less painful visa application process? to go and marry the lady in her country ((Russia) and then apply for the visa to bring my spouse or to ask for a fiance visa and and marry in the UK?

Thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts
It's really up to y'all and where you want to marry. Both visas have the same requirements including same financial.

Only difference is if you get fiancé visa, you'll have to apply for flr and marry within 6 months. And she cannot work until a flr.

So basically you'll be paying for an additional visa with fiancé visa.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you went down the fiance visa route and married within 6 months, you would then apply for FLR(M) == Further Leave to Remain (Marriage). The form is here http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/flr/formflrm1020091.pdf. It is used to apply for your then-wife to stay in the UK. After she has her FLR(M) application approved, she can then seek employment etc just as a spouse.

As ddanng said, it's up to you. We faced the same predicament but we had a preference to marry in my church in the UK so we are going with fiance visa route. To marry her in Russia first would be cheaper and less paperwork from a visa point of view (as you wouldnt have to apply for Fiance Visa AND FLR(M) after the marriage and before her fiance visa expires. You would just apply for spouse visa and give your marriage certificate in with your application for partner visa)

·
Super Moderator
18,089 Posts
Excuse my igonrance, what is flr?
Further leave to remain. If you get married in the UK on a fiance visa, the next step is to apply for FLR (M) which is further leave to remain as a spouse. Basically, it's a spouse visa which is good 2.5 years after which it needs to be renewed for another 2.5 years. After 5 years of living in the UK on a spouse visa you apply for ILR which is indefinite leave to remain. After you have ILR you can apply for citizenship if you wish.

Getting married in Russia would mean you would not have to apply for a fiance visa. After you are married she would apply for a spouse visa. As ddang said, you'd be saving yourself the cost of 1 visa.

But, you'll have to consider what the requirements are for you to get married in Russia.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Menolly is right, it would be less paper work and one less visa if you marry outside the UK and apply for spouse visa.

Do you need a visa to enter Russia to marry? That would be another thing to consider.

Also which country would you like to marry in or be easier for relatives and families to attend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. Yes what would be the requirements for me to marry in Russia. I need to find out, I would also need an interpreter for the wedding vows!

Another saving would be in terms of her relatives attending the wedding. If we marry here, i do not know how much I would have to pay in accommodation and other things for some of her relatives to come here. If I took relatives to go there, they would pay themselves. Added to this they do not spend in Russia the ridiculous amounts of money they pay here to get married in a castle.

In general, I consider it is better, more romantic and considerate to get married in her territory, if she so wishes.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Menolly is right, it would be less paper work and one less visa if you marry outside the UK and apply for spouse visa.

Do you need a visa to enter Russia to marry? That would be another thing to consider.

Also which country would you like to marry in or be easier for relatives and families to attend.
Hi,

Sorry to just jump in, but I am slightly in the similar situation. I applied for the fiance visa last month and got refused, but now after reading this thread, I was thinking if it would be a good idea for my fiance to come to the US and we just get married and then apply for a spouse visa, do u think it is a good idea?? (I get rejected based on financial requirement :(

Any advice will be highly appreciated...

·
Registered
533 Posts
waiting.stars said:
Hi, Sorry to just jump in, but I am slightly in the similar situation. I applied for the fiance visa last month and got refused, but now after reading this thread, I was thinking if it would be a good idea for my fiance to come to the US and we just get married and then apply for a spouse visa, do u think it is a good idea?? (I get rejected based on financial requirement :( Any advice will be highly appreciated...
The financial requirement is the same for both visas. The sponsor needs £18600 whether it's fiancé or spouse visa. If you got refused on fiancé visa because of finances then you will definitely be refused on spouse visa unless the circumstances have changed. And with a new application you will have to be truthfully on your new application saying you have been refused a visa and then explain why.

It's definitely cheaper to get married in the US and specially cheaper for those in UK as the dollars much cheaper. But just because your married doesn't mean a thing to UKBA, You have to meet all the requirements and unfortunately this includes the financial bit.

Did you not appeal?

·
Registered
834 Posts
The financial requirement is the same for both visas. The sponsor needs £18600 whether it's fiancé or spouse visa. If you got refused on fiancé visa because of finances then you will definitely be refused on spouse visa unless the circumstances have changed. And with a new application you will have to be truthfully on your new application saying you have been refused a visa and then explain why.

It's definitely cheaper to get married in the US and specially cheaper for those in UK as the dollars much cheaper. But just because your married doesn't mean a thing to UKBA, You have to meet all the requirements and unfortunately this includes the financial bit.

Did you not appeal?
Thank you for your kind reply. I can understand that unless we do not full the financial requirement, fiance or married application will be rejected. I did not appeal yet, because I am in the process of completing the financial requirement.. So I was thinking that after i have the full 62.500 amount into our savings (my sponsor does not have a job) then we might be able to re-apply either for Fiance or married.. but was not sure if it was a god idea..

·
Registered
834 Posts
You can apply again after the full amount has been untouched in your account for six months.
Thank you AmyD. So if my fiance comes to the US, can we do a simple like just register our marriage and then apply for a spouse visa instead of fiance visa again?

(cannot have a wedding party case both of our families lives in south Asian countries and they will not be able to get US visas to come to that, plus, its v expansive to travel all over here)

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Yes. Just check with local courthouse what their requirements are for marrying a foreigner. Usually just their passport.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Yes. Just check with local courthouse what their requirements are for marrying a foreigner. Usually just their passport.
Thank you Joppa. So they will not have any objection to why we did not throw a regular wedding party ? Just a few pictures of us, his plane ticket and a few more proves, am I right ?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hi Joppa,

Sorry to bother you again,, but I wanted to you that now that I have been rejected once for my fiance visa based on the financial requirement, if I reapply for spouse visa, will they not be suspicious why I after being rejected on fiance visa now she is applying for spouse visa.. I am just concern that they should not consider me as a sham applicant ???

·
Super Moderator
18,089 Posts
Hi Joppa,

Sorry to bother you again,, but I wanted to you that now that I have been rejected once for my fiance visa based on the financial requirement, if I reapply for spouse visa, will they not be suspicious why I after being rejected on fiance visa now she is applying for spouse visa.. I am just concern that they should not consider me as a sham applicant ???
It's not going to be an issue. Plans change. You've decided to get married somewhere else. It's not a big deal. Since you've been rejected for 1 visa it's going to take longer to process further visas. Your biggest issue is making sure you meet all the requirements this time.

·
Registered
834 Posts
It's not going to be an issue. Plans change. You've decided to get married somewhere else. It's not a big deal. Since you've been rejected for 1 visa it's going to take longer to process further visas. Your biggest issue is making sure you meet all the requirements this time.
Thank you for your kind advice Nyclon :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello,

In an attempt to recover my thread I wanted to ask people who have experience proving your income if you are self-employed which I am. How to prove the £18,600?

- I have a minimal income as an employee of my company in the pay roll, this would not reach the £18,600 limit
- I get also money from the profits of the company
If this is still not enough (especially if my own children are taken into account), I have money from property development which is not in my company. It is my own property. So how do I show it and how much?

Then do I show the accounts for the previous financial year 2013 (they can be more than 6 months old) or how for the year when I apply (2014). Or do they want to see a Tax Return?

Also, please can I have other input on the number of children that the UK person has got as their support surely depends on the financial arrangements with the former spouse. The visa requirements for income from the UKBA site were very confusing to me, especially where the children are concerned. I thought it was only the fiance's child(ren) that were taken into account for the minimum income requirement.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.