Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am just putting together documents for a fiancée visa application and have a quick question.

My fiancée (non-EU citizen) lives in Dublin (on a student visa). I live in Belfast. Upon a recent visit to Belfast we registered our intention to marry in the UK at Belfast City Council registry office.

Now, according to the General Registrars Office for Northern Ireland (sorry, I can't post a direct link as this is my first post)

Since 9 May 2011, any person subject to immigration control wishing to give notice to marry or register a civil partnership no longer needs:

• a Certificate of Approval
  • an entry clearance for the purpose of marriage or registering a civil partnership or
    [*]settled status in the UK
Since we were both in the UK at the time is it OK to use this notice marry in the application, or is the situation complicated by the fact that in travelling to the UK to give notice my fiancée did not pass through any border controls (land border, common travel area) and therefore has no official record of entering the UK for purposes of giving notice.

Also, with regard the wedding I'd be grateful for some advice on providing evidence of our intention to marry. We will be having a bit of a DIY wedding, and whilst we will be booking a venue for the day, we aren't really into things like engagement rings and wedding rings (not that we aren't romantic but believe such things to be unnecessary). Would the lack of these be a hindrance?

Many thanks,
Aidan

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
Including the venue hire contract is good... that's what I submitted with my fiancée application in July 2012. Do you have any extra wedding invitations that you could submit as well? That would be helpful in establishing your intent to make good on the visa and get married.

In regards to your first question, I would defer to Joppa to give his opinion on that issue. I would tend to think that you're o.k., given that your fiancée has a visa for RoI (thus establishing a tie outside of the UK), but I am not a migration expert and would suggest waiting for Joppa's interpretation.

Good luck and congratulations on your upcoming wedding! :D

Reactions: astennett

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
This is a bit complicated situation. Marriage law and immigration law are quite separate, and the fact someone is able to give notice under the marriage law doesn't necessarily mean it's permitted under the immigration rules. To give notice in UK under the immigration rules, your non-EEA fiancée needs either marriage visitor visa or fiancée visa, or is otherwise on a visa issued longer than 6 months. The fact she could cross the border without any checks and was able to give notice of marriage doesn't mean it was allowed under the immigration rules, which it wasn't.
I suggest therefore you give some other evidence of intention to marry - appointment with registrar, venue booking etc instead, just to avoid difficulties with Home Office.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys, thank you so much for replies. They are very helpful.

Joppa should we avoid including photos of my Fiancée and my family taken in N. Ireland for the same reasons?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
You can include them as she was legally visiting Northern Ireland. Just don't mention about having given notice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.