Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My non-EU fiancé is the applicant. He works but does not have an employment contract and payslips are not issued as traditional payslips. He is paid into his bank account. There is a question about the applicant's employment and the only evidence that can be supplied is a bank statement - will this cause any problems?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He can probably get that - what bearing does this information have on the application?

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's official verification that he is employed, and provides context to any deposits made into his bank account. A letter of employment should be from his manager or HR representative, dated recently, and should include his hire date, salary/pay frequency, and terms of employment (contract, temp or permanent). If all you have is a bank statement, that doesn't say anything about his work circumstances.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's official verification that he is employed, and provides context to any deposits made into his bank account. A letter of employment should be from his manager or HR representative, dated recently, and should include his hire date, salary/pay frequency, and terms of employment (contract, temp or permanent). If all you have is a bank statement, that doesn't say anything about his work circumstances.
Hi, Secretlobster, thanks for explaining - that is why I am asking the question what the bearing on the application is - is it an absolute requirement to show his employment details eg. is it grounds for refusal if we can only provide a letter and bank statement? He will get a letter from his employer and one bank statement showing deposits.

It will be dated within 28 days as we are applying in three weeks. We will provide everything that we need to - being able to ask the questions has helped so much and the advice and opinion of everyone is appreciated.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That depends on how you are meeting the financial requirement. If he's using income from employment as a means of meeting the requirement, then yes, it is an absolute necessity to show his employment details, but this can be done in the letter from his employer. If all you have is a bank statement, your application almost certainly will be refused. The letter of employment, along with evidence of payment (payslips or bank account deposits) should suffice, but it's still possible they will ask for more information.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That depends on how you are meeting the financial requirement. If he's using income from employment as a means of meeting the requirement, then yes, it is an absolute necessity to show his employment details, but this can be done in the letter from his employer. If all you have is a bank statement, your application almost certainly will be refused. The letter of employment, along with evidence of payment (payslips or bank account deposits) should suffice, but it's still possible they will ask for more information.
Ah, it seems that I have confused people, my apologies. I am British and the sponsor and female. My fiancé is non-EU and male.

The financial requirement is being met by my salary, Cat A.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oh, my apologies, you did say this in your initial post but I missed that!

If he has listed himself as "employed" in the visa application, then he should submit evidence of employment, and the letter should suffice for that. Bank account info is unnecessary. It will not have a bearing on his application.

Sorry again for the confusion.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, my apologies, you did say this in your initial post but I missed that!

If he has listed himself as "employed" in the visa application, then he should submit evidence of employment, and the letter should suffice for that. Bank account info is unnecessary. It will not have a bearing on his application.

Sorry again for the confusion.
No apology required - visas can be a minefield it seems! Thank you very much for the clarification about impact of the applicant's employment status on the application.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, I stand corrected on this. My fiance will NOT be able to evidence his employment. He is paid cash in hand and then deposits into his bank account and his employer will not write a letter confirming his employment. We have absolutely no intention of lieing on the application form, so when asked if he works, can the answer simply be "yes"? We will not be able to provide any additional evidence.

Will this be cause for refusal even though his employment shouldn't impact the application? He is the applicant and I meet the financial and other requirements as sponsor. Any opinions or experience would be appreciated.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
We are still not sure why this requirement to evidence applicant's employment was introduced. It has no impact on financial requirement, and the only reason we can think of is giving a full picture of applicant's background.
So from that point of view, not being able to evidence your fiancé's employment shouldn't be fatal to his application. Perhaps a note attached explaining why no evidence can be produced may help.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't know... From an outside perspective with limited detail, his work sounds dodgy, to be quite honest. I think just putting "yes" to the employment question and simply not submitting any documentation of employment (which is not required anyway) would be better than a note saying "I'm paid directly into my bank account and my employer doesn't want to verify that I have a job".

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
You are required to attach evidence of applicant's job. Just state employment document unavailable.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My mistake! You are right of course:

Evidence of your current employmentor studies
This could include:
- a letter from your employer on company headed paper – detailing your salary and the length of your employment, confirming that you have been given time off work, and stating whether this time off is paid or unpaid
- a letter from your education provider on headed paper – confirming your enrolment and leave of absence
- business registration documents confirming

·
Registered
108 Posts
So, I stand corrected on this. My fiance will NOT be able to evidence his employment. He is paid cash in hand and then deposits into his bank account and his employer will not write a letter confirming his employment. We have absolutely no intention of lieing on the application form, so when asked if he works, can the answer simply be "yes"? We will not be able to provide any additional evidence.

Will this be cause for refusal even though his employment shouldn't impact the application? He is the applicant and I meet the financial and other requirements as sponsor. Any opinions or experience would be appreciated.
In my humble opinion:
There is no requirement for applicant to be employed.
However, if applicant is employed it might positively affect the application, as it shows that he is working person and can contribute to UK economy (but I don't think it's a matter at all).

In your case, if your fiance (applicant) is getting his salary "under the table", then you better explain everything honestly in your/his covering letter or in additional info section of the application - as withholding of information might be subject to ban for entry.
I personally think to put that he works and explain why you can't provide evidence, clearly and honestly.

Again above is just my subjective opinion and nothing more.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know... From an outside perspective with limited detail, his work sounds dodgy, to be quite honest. I think just putting "yes" to the employment question and simply not submitting any documentation of employment (which is not required anyway) would be better than a note saying "I'm paid directly into my bank account and my employer doesn't want to verify that I have a job".
Hi Secretlobster. My fiancé worked for the same company for seven years working six days per week the majority of the time, then transferred to another company two months ago that offered a more flexible schedule so that he could tie up loose ends in preparation to move to a new country and to spend some time with friends and family.

His work is not "dodgy", he is a fully insured professional in his industry, as is his company and his employment situation is standard for the country he lives in and breaks no laws. There is no legal requirement in his country for his employer to provide anything to him for visa purposes or otherwise and as such, they have elected not to. I believe there is something similar for police workers in the UK, I read a thread from someone who couldn't get confirmation for visa purposes - obviously different circumstances and application, but still.

Thank you for your opinion - as the only option that we have is to state he is employed and no documentation is available, that is what we will have to do. And as it should not impact the decision, that should hopefully suffice. Thank you everyone that responded, I really do appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
As I understand it is the Sponsor's Income which counts, the applicant will cease to be employed once moved to UK, and will not be allowed to work until Spouse Visa is granted.
Any savings the Applicant has can be included in the Financial assesment

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
I think the OP is along the right lines. Just be truthful but don't elaborate. Unlikely to be queried by UKVI.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.