Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a Canadian, who's recently gotten engaged to my longtime British partner, and I have a few more questions about the visa process for fiancé(e)s.

Do I have to include any formal proof of our relationship with my visa application? We were planning on sending confirmation of a wedding venue as proof of our intention to get married, but will the UKBA be looking for more than that?

Also, is it possible to postdate a Fiancé(e) Visa? When I return to Canada, I want to apply relatively quickly after arriving, but for personal reasons, wish to remain home for a few more months afterwards. How would I go about doing this?

Finally, after we are married, what documents will I have to show the UKBA in order to get my status changed to Married Partner?

Again, any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
Hi all,

I'm a Canadian, who's recently gotten engaged to my longtime British partner, and I have a few more questions about the visa process for fiancé(e)s.

Do I have to include any formal proof of our relationship with my visa application? We were planning on sending confirmation of a wedding venue as proof of our intention to get married, but will the UKBA be looking for more than that?
Yes, you need to convince the UKBA that your relationship is genuine. One way of doing this is to attach a letter of introduction written by the applicant and a similar letter of support by the UK sponsor, describing the relationship from the start from their own perspective. Also useful are proofs of travel taken together, photos of significant event such as engagement and evidence of how you've kept in touch while apart.

Also, is it possible to postdate a Fiancé(e) Visa? When I return to Canada, I want to apply relatively quickly after arriving, but for personal reasons, wish to remain home for a few more months afterwards. How would I go about doing this?
You can postdate by up to 3 months. Just put your prospective travel date to UK on the form.

Finally, after we are married, what documents will I have to show the UKBA in order to get my status changed to Married Partner?
You apply for further leave to remain (FLR) as spouse while the fiancée(e) visa is still valid.
UK Border Agency | Applying from inside the UK
UK Border Agency | Documents required

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, you need to convince the UKBA that your relationship is genuine. One way of doing this is to attach a letter of introduction written by the applicant and a similar letter of support by the UK sponsor, describing the relationship from the start from their own perspective. Also useful are proofs of travel taken together, photos of significant event such as engagement and evidence of how you've kept in touch while apart.

You can postdate by up to 3 months. Just put your prospective travel date to UK on the form.

You apply for further leave to remain (FLR) as spouse while the fiancée(e) visa is still valid.
UK Border Agency | Applying from inside the UK
UK Border Agency | Documents required
Thanks for the quick reply. That answered all of my questions!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I do have one more question. Regarding maintenance fees, since my partner is the sole breadwinner, how many months of bank statements and pay slips should he provide the UKBA with?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.