Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a Canadian, who's recently gotten engaged to my longtime British partner, and I have a few questions about the visa process for fiancé(e)s.

Firstly, he works for a British company, but is based in France. Once I move to the UK, he will commute home on his days off. Currently, he works about four days on, four days off. Will this be an issue?

My next question is about maintenance requirements. He is a high-earner, and can prove this through payslips and bank statements, but I am unemployed. I'm planning on returning to school, once married, but as of now, have no formal qualifications. Do we have to show a certain amount of savings? Or, is it sufficient to make a certain salary (£85,000/year)? Will it count against us that I don't have any formal qualifications? Or, should his earnings alone satisfy our maintenance requirements?

And, finally, when a Fiancé(e) Visa is issued, do the six-months begin from the date issued? Or, the date of entry?

I'd appreciate anyone's help!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I think the address and sponsoring you should be enough. He sounds as though he makes enough for you to meet the current £106 (rounded) figure, so you should be ok.

Someone will be right behind me to advise if I'm wrong, but I do think the maintained UK address should be fine!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the address and sponsoring you should be enough. He sounds as though he makes enough for you to meet the current £106 (rounded) figure, so you should be ok.

Someone will be right behind me to advise if I'm wrong, but I do think the maintained UK address should be fine!
I really appreciate the advice, thanks! But, what do you mean by the "current £106 figure"?

·
Super Moderator
18,093 Posts
I really appreciate the advice, thanks! But, what do you mean by the "current £106 figure"?
Your sponsor has to prove that he has £105.95/week (although I think this figure has been increased to about £111/week, some kind of cost of living thing) after paying mortgage/rent and council tax in order to support you.

If your husband is working in France and exercising his treaty rights as an EU citizen, why are you not going to join him France? It is much easier to get a a EEA family permit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your sponsor has to prove that he has £105.95/week (although I think this figure has been increased to about £111/week, some kind of cost of living thing) after paying mortgage/rent and council tax in order to support you.

If your husband is working in France and exercising his treaty rights as an EU citizen, why are you not going to join him France? It is much easier to get a a EEA family permit.
Thanks for the clarification, Nyclon. As for living in France, we tried, but I didn't like it there. We're much happier in the UK. Unfortunately, time away is part and parcel of his career, no matter where we live.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

Nyclon, I've spent all day on the UKBA site trying to find the maintenance funds chart (yes. I know. there is a correct name, I just can't think of it right now). Where are you finding the increase amount of £111?

Thank-you in advance, my burning eyeballs thank-you as well! What a day over there on that site, they are having in-country tech issues and things are shifting all over the place:)

Updates, used to cause my former employer 'issues' whenever IT did 'updates'.

·
Registered
39,153 Posts
Nyclon, I've spent all day on the UKBA site trying to find the maintenance funds chart (yes. I know. there is a correct name, I just can't think of it right now). Where are you finding the increase amount of £111?
Well, UKBA site doesn't quote the exact amount a couple (both aged 18+) ought to have to show they aren't resorting to public funds. An earlier immigration appeal case from 2006 has established that a migrant couple shouldn't have an income below that of the income support rate, which was £105.95 for tax year 2011-12. For 2012-13 tax year, which we are in, that amount is increased to £111.45.
See New pension and benefit rates for 2012-2013 : Directgov - Newsroom, Income Support, Couple - both 18 or over.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Well, UKBA site doesn't quote the exact amount a couple (both aged 18+) ought to have to show they aren't resorting to public funds. An earlier immigration appeal case from 2006 has established that a migrant couple shouldn't have an income below that of the income support rate, which was £105.95 for tax year 2011-12. For 2012-13 tax year, which we are in, that amount is increased to £111.45.
See New pension and benefit rates for 2012-2013 : Directgov - Newsroom, Income Support, Couple - both 18 or over.
Thank-you, and my burning eyeballs thank-you too!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Question regarding the maintenance funds... if I have a job offer including a signing bonus and my partner proves she has a full-time job but however doesn't currently have a savings will this be okay or be a red flag for the UKBA? Getting very nervous, simply due to us starting over but we have a very bright future...

·
Super Moderator
18,093 Posts
Question regarding the maintenance funds... if I have a job offer including a signing bonus and my partner proves she has a full-time job but however doesn't currently have a savings will this be okay or be a red flag for the UKBA? Getting very nervous, simply due to us starting over but we have a very bright future...
The UK citizen has to be able to show that he/she has £111.45/week leftover after paying rent or mortgage and council tax That can be from a combination of income or savings and can include the non-UK citizen's savings. The non-UK citizen having a job offer is good, but it's the UK citizen's ability to support the non-UK citizen that's important. It would be even better, though if you could confirm that you have the job and not just an offer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The UK citizen has to be able to show that he/she has £111.45/week leftover after paying rent or mortgage and council tax That can be from a combination of income or savings and can include the non-UK citizen's savings. The non-UK citizen having a job offer is good, but it's the UK citizen's ability to support the non-UK citizen that's important. It would be even better, though if you could confirm that you have the job and not just an offer.
Thank you so much for the response. If I have the CEO write a letter confirming I have the job upon marriage will that be enough? How else can I prove that I have the job and not just the offer?

·
Super Moderator
18,093 Posts
Thank you so much for the response. If I have the CEO write a letter confirming I have the job upon marriage will that be enough? How else can I prove that I have the job and not just the offer?
A letter should be fine. Just to be clear, it's great that you have a job offer and that will be looked at positively when reviewing your application, but the UK citizen's ability to support you is far more important and carries far more weight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.