Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hubby's visa expires August 2016... 30 months in the UK so he can apply for FLR from June 2016?

If we are unable to do the same day service how can he prove his right to be/work in the UK whilst the passport is away?

His passport expires May 2018, we're not sure how long renewal in Jamaica will take - once he is ready for ILR does the passport need to be valid for a specified amount of time for this to be granted?

I understand the financial aspect of the FLR application, but for proof the relationship still exists is it just letters to the same address over the duration of his visa that we need to submit?

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
Hubby's visa expires August 2016... 30 months in the UK so he can apply for FLR from June 2016?
He can apply after he has spent 30 months in the UK on a spouse visa. When did he arrive?

If we are unable to do the same day service how can he prove his right to be/work in the UK whilst the passport is away?
While your application for renewal is being processed you are still covered by the rules of your previous visa.

His passport expires May 2018, we're not sure how long renewal in Jamaica will take - once he is ready for ILR does the passport need to be valid for a specified amount of time for this to be granted?
No, although probably at least 6 months. It's probably easiest to renew the passport before applying for ILR

I understand the financial aspect of the FLR application, but for proof the relationship still exists is it just letters to the same address over the duration of his visa that we need to submit?
You'll need a little less relationship proof as you're now married. Definitely get his name on things like council tax and utility bills as soon as possible.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He can apply after he has spent 30 months in the UK on a spouse visa. When did he arrive?

While your application for renewal is being processed you are still covered by the rules of your previous visa.

No, although probably at least 6 months. It's probably easiest to renew the passport before applying for ILR

You'll need a little less relationship proof as you're now married. Definitely get his name on things like council tax and utility bills as soon as possible.
He arrived November 14th, visa issued November 11th.

Will we receive a letter confirming renewal or something? lm just thinking any organisation/employer needing proof of ID might want more than my husband's word that he's on a valid visa.

So bills and marriage certificate is all we would require for that aspect of the application?

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
He arrived November 14th, visa issued November 11th.

So, then he can apply 28 days before April 14th which is when he'll be in the UK for 30 months. Although, he can apply anytime between then and when his visa expires.

Will we receive a letter confirming renewal or something?
No. It's up to you to make sure you apply when it's time.

lm just thinking any organisation/employer needing proof of ID might want more than my husband's word that he's on a valid visa.
But, don't you think he'll have a job by then?

So bills and marriage certificate is all we would require for that aspect of the application?
Pretty much.

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
If you go for same-day premium appointment, they will almost certainly just ask for marriage certificate and are unlikely to ask for any other evidence like Skype, joint bills, joint accounts, photos etc. Though you should take some in the unlikely event they ask to see them.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks as usual guys.

My query re sending the passport off wasn't clear. In the event that my husband doesn't have a driver's licence, his passport/visa will be his only form of ID. He will be employed hopefully but as an example if he needed to prove his identity and right to reside in the UK whilst the passport was away, how could he do that? Although he will still be under the same conditions hypothetically I'm assuming he would still need proof.

Of course we hope to use the premium service but helps to know how things would work for postal applications.

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
Many thanks as usual guys.

My query re sending the passport off wasn't clear. In the event that my husband doesn't have a driver's licence, his passport/visa will be his only form of ID. He will be employed hopefully but as an example if he needed to prove his identity and right to reside in the UK whilst the passport was away, how could he do that? Although he will still be under the same conditions hypothetically I'm assuming he would still need proof.

Of course we hope to use the premium service but helps to know how things would work for postal applications.
So have him apply for a provisional licence after he's been here for 6 months. Take a copy of the relevant page/pages of his passport to have on hand. If he is searching for a job at the time, yes he might find it difficult without having physical proof of his right to work. Other than that, the only time I ever had to prove my identity was to open a bank account, visa related things and my citizenship ceremony. So, maybe 5 or 6 times in 10 years. There are very few situations which require proof of identity or proof that you reside in the UK. I think you are worrying unnecessarily.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Quick question...

A number of my originals submitted were not returned despite supplying copies. Would we need to resubmit any of this for FLR? I've emailed but not heard anything and I don't like the idea of my bank statements, etc floating around somewhere unnecessarily. I've accepted I may not have these documents returned (grudgingly) but wondering if I would actually need any of this again?

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
It depends on when you apply for FLR(M). If it's more than 6 months since you applied for your previous visa and you are applying under Cat A, you need new pay slips and bank statements in any case. If you are applying under Cat B, then you may need some of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.