Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have recently started to consider moving back to SA mainly because my 13yr old son is not getting the good solid education and positive attitude to school/"work" that I hoped he would in this "land of opportunity". It wouldn't be a permanent move - just a few years until he has finished high school. Being close to family again would also be great!

A lot of the conversations on this forum are very negative, but I haven't come across any comments from someone who has recently returned to SA.

I am very interested to hear from anyone who has moved back to SA from the UK in the last couple of years. Do you regret the move? What do you think of a SA matric vs a UK A level school qualification? What is your opinion of a short term repatriation?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Hi,

I am very interested to hear from anyone who has moved back to SA from the UK in the last couple of years. Do you regret the move? What do you think of a SA matric vs a UK A level school qualification? What is your opinion of a short term repatriation?
A level education is of a higher standard than Matric. I think you are better off moving schools in England as the level of education in the UK is by far superior than South Africa (or even Australia for that matter).

·
Registered
141 Posts
A level education is of a higher standard than Matric. I think you are better off moving schools in England as the level of education in the UK is by far superior than South Africa (or even Australia for that matter).
Lol ... So not true. Private South African schools are of a much higher level education but especially disipline. Even the very good public high schools are better. A friend of mine's child moved to the Uk and he jumped 2 grades when entering school there!

Back to your main question, i left the Uk to come back to S.A , didnt regret it one bit. Im not in S.A now but thats got nothing to do with the country itself, i just had a better opportunity elsewhere. I suppose it all boils down to how much you enjoy life in the Uk ...

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Lol ... So not true. Private South African schools are of a much higher level education but especially disipline. Even the very good public high schools are better. A friend of mine's child moved to the Uk and he jumped 2 grades when entering school there!

Back to your main question, i left the Uk to come back to S.A , didnt regret it one bit. Im not in S.A now but thats got nothing to do with the country itself, i just had a better opportunity elsewhere. I suppose it all boils down to how much you enjoy life in the Uk ...
Cough Cough.... Did you just say PRIVATE? - Its seems your evidence is anecdotal and not actually based on fact. Sure, some inner-city schools don't do so well but pound for pound the average English School is leagues ahead of SA schools. They all have hi-tech facilities etc.

Cough Cough again... and if you want to talk private - bring it on.

I would like to see the pass rates etc....
Here is one from the UK.... Perhaps it will help the poster make the right move.
2009 Secondary School (GCSE and equivalent)

Please send me the SA equivalent..... Thanks

PS The poster was also comparing A-Levels to Matric

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure the A level vs Matric is an issue any more - I discovered that there is a private school in Pmburg (where I would be moving back to) that offers an International GCSE and A level qualification. Presumably these exams are the same as the UK exams... School fees would be approx £5000 per year compared with 3 times this amount in the UK which I just couldn't afford.

I'm having nightmares about this already and I haven't even made a decision yet... maybe my subconscious is telling me it's the wrong choice to make :(

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Ok so here are some sources:

This is a PUBLIC school : Westville Boys' High School

This is a PRIVATE school : Academics :: Kearsney College ::

Note some lines written in articles : "South African private schools represent some of the finest in the world"

"Many Homecomers find the quality of education in South Africa exceeds that offered by schools in the UK"
Thanks for the two links (cough cough) and a blurb.... Please send something that will give the readers the picture of average school results. The person asking the question may not be able to get his or her kids in those schools...

Q: How long have you lived in the UK for and have you had children in UK schools?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I'm not sure the A level vs Matric is an issue any more - I discovered that there is a private school in Pmburg (where I would be moving back to) that offers an International GCSE and A level qualification. Presumably these exams are the same as the UK exams... School fees would be approx £5000 per year compared with 3 times this amount in the UK which I just couldn't afford.

I'm having nightmares about this already and I haven't even made a decision yet... maybe my subconscious is telling me it's the wrong choice to make :(
Q1: Have you thought about a grammar school?
Q2: Where do you stay in the UK

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for the two links (cough cough) and a blurb.... Please send something that will give the readers the picture of average school results.
How can i do that, the average would include township schools? The poster isnt going for any of those.

School fees would be approx £5000 per year compared with 3 times this amount in the UK which I just couldn't afford.
... If he can pay that amount then he can get into schools like those or very similar!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
How can i do that, the average would include township schools? The poster isnt going for any of those.

... If he can pay that amount then he can get into schools like those or very similar!
Perhaps but you are ignoring the original question........... Is the standard of education higher in SA - No it is not. In certain area's SA schools are great but the same can be said for the UK/France/Germany etc etc

If you reply was - If he goes to a good model C school in a good area in SA he will get a good education comparable to that of the UK....FINE But there are so many variables that one cannot make such claims. There is more to life than just the school. (parenting, peers, travel, opportunity etc) and that little matter of security to worry about.

If the poster is in a crap area of the UK - Move.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Q1: Have you thought about a grammar school?
Q2: Where do you stay in the UK
A1: Yes, but my son would struggle to get in - exacerbated by the fact that his current school is in special measures because of inadequate teaching.

A2: North West Kent. I can't afford to "just move" to a better area of the UK and commute to London for the higher salary that I need. I'm a single parent so any move, UK or SA, has huge financial and personal implications.

Getting back to my original question about the lack of positive feedback from people who have returned.... are there any other than mman??

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
melb, I have a young friend who recently returned to SA for the same type of Family/grandparents/support groups etc.
His wife was teaching in the UK and his comments were very disparaging regarding English discipline,teaching values etc etc..
his kids are not at school going age yet, and initially it was all rah rah, wonderful to be back.
That was 15 months ago.
He is now in process of applying to Australia as he no longer sees SA as a viable long term option.
not racism, he has a very well paid position, qualifies for any Country in the World.
He says he has made an expensive mistake.

the question you should be asking as a single parent, if you go back, and it does NOT work out for you
Can you afford to leave again?
if not, or with difficulty, think again.
I have purposely kept the saftey aspect out of this as you did not raise it,
I have also not raised University entrance difficulties unless he is seen as previously disadvantaged.
I personally think the next 4 years are going to be pivotal in SA and will decide wether SA has a future or not for parents of children.
and depending on age, it gets impossible to move kids around.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A1: Yes, but my son would struggle to get in - exacerbated by the fact that his current school is in special measures because of inadequate teaching.

A2: North West Kent. I can't afford to "just move" to a better area of the UK and commute to London for the higher salary that I need. I'm a single parent so any move, UK or SA, has huge financial and personal implications.

Getting back to my original question about the lack of positive feedback from people who have returned.... are there any other than mman??
Generally, those satisfied with the move won't comment on expat forum.

For information, 20,000 brits settle each year in South Africa, few go back to UK.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Generally, those satisfied with the move won't comment on expat forum.

For information, 20,000 brits settle each year in South Africa, few go back to UK.
Sure.... All 50+ to retire in the sun where their pound stretches.

·
Registered
64 Posts
melb, I have a young friend who recently returned to SA for the same type of Family/grandparents/support groups etc.
His wife was teaching in the UK and his comments were very disparaging regarding English discipline,teaching values etc etc..
his kids are not at school going age yet, and initially it was all rah rah, wonderful to be back.
That was 15 months ago.
He is now in process of applying to Australia as he no longer sees SA as a viable long term option.
not racism, he has a very well paid position, qualifies for any Country in the World.
He says he has made an expensive mistake.

the question you should be asking as a single parent, if you go back, and it does NOT work out for you
Can you afford to leave again?
if not, or with difficulty, think again.
I have purposely kept the saftey aspect out of this as you did not raise it,
I have also not raised University entrance difficulties unless he is seen as previously disadvantaged.
I personally think the next 4 years are going to be pivotal in SA and will decide wether SA has a future or not for parents of children.
and depending on age, it gets impossible to move kids around.
You cannot take a personal story for the South African situation as a whole.

A friend moved to SA in 2000. After 5 years in JoBurg, he moved to NZ as the situation (crime) was unsustainable. After few years in New Zealand, he moved to Australia. Drugs, lack of job, crime (his flat was broken into 3 times in a year) convinced him to move to the "country of hope".

His situation is much better now but far from perfect, as Australian people are not friendly (according to him).

I know few people who moved back to SA and are OK.

Don't go back if you are not prepared. I remember a young woman, in a good position in SA, who emigrated to UK and is now begging on the street.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
:ranger:

You should have mentioned this before..... information is everything. If you have a support structure back in SA that you don't have in the UK moving back makes sense. We had friends who moved back (kid similar age) and they seem to be doing OK. Just make sure you both have UK passports so you are able to move back if/when required.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Arnaud, give a reference where you get 20,000 Brits a year settling in SA from?

Yes, a number of British (Construction especially) and other professionals have gone out to SA on contract, they all have an air ticket and relocation expenses paid for before they leave.

kindly give a link to the 20,000 or was that just a thumbsuck?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
As I have said - much of the jibber-jabber is anecdotal..... I think people need to start looking at the facts/stats.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts