Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An anyone tell me if it's possible to apply for the fee waiver if you are on low income ?

My husbands visa is due for renewal he got 3 years discretionary leave to remain . We applied for his spouse visa from UK instead of him returning to his home country and he was granted 3 years dlr and the letter states to return to his home country or apply to extend his stay before the visa expires.

We have saved the money for his visa but we weren't aware of the NHS surcharge so we are now short :( when I went to pay for the surcharge today it said he would have to pay £600 so £200 per year as he was granted dlr . I am in such a mess because we have struggled to save the money and now a couple weeks fm before we have found this out and now I have no idea how we will find the extra 600

I work self employed but business is quiet at the moment also in receipt of tax credits

If we applied for the fee waiver on the grounds that we would be left in a mess if we paid the fee are we likely to be turned down ?

Please help

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also we applied for visa using FLR(m) and unsure if to reapply on FLR(o) or do we apply another way ?

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
I work self employed but business is quiet at the moment also in receipt of tax credits

Please help

Doesn't your husband work?

How do you show you can sponsor him if you can't afford the visa fee?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I work to support us ! As I explained in the post I can afford the visa charge I just didn't know about the NHS surcharge and I have less than 2 weeks to pay it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Joppa are you able to message me I tried to message you and I can't you've helped me in past and I am at my wits end

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is your problem? Last time I was on here you were rude to me. I spoke to Joppa before via private message so I politely asked him as that's the only way I could.

·
Super Moderator
18,048 Posts
It's impolite to hijack other people's threads which have nothing to do with your subject especially when you already have an open thread.

Read Joppa's signature, it says he does not accept private messages. Like all of us, he volunteers his time here. All you can do is be patient. I can find no instance where I have been rude to you.

I think you will have a very difficult time proving that you are destitute as per:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/420914/Fee_Waiver
_Policy_-_April_2015.pdf

Applicants may qualify for a fee waiver on the basis that, although they are not currently destitute, they would be rendered destitute by payment of the fee. In order to qualify for a fee waiver on this basis:

1. The applicant must have no or very limited disposable income such that they could neither pay the fee now, nor realistically afford to save sufficient money to pay the fee within a reasonable period (12 months) and, in the latter case, that it would be reasonable in all the circumstances to expect the applicant to delay their application for this length of time; and

2. The applicant must have no ability to borrow the required amount from family or friends; and

3. There must be no basis for concluding that the applicant’s financial circumstances are likely to change within a reasonable period (12 months), and it would be reasonable in all the circumstances to expect the applicant to delay the application for this length of time.
Can you not borrow the money?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't want to borrow the money but if I end up having to I will. I don't want to apply for the fee waiver but I'm really worried as his application has to be in in less than 2 weeks and I only have £800 not 1250 . What happens if we submit the FLR(o) for before we do the NHS surcharge ?

And I'm sorry if it was impolite of me I didn't think of it that way

·
Super Moderator
18,048 Posts
If you have the ability to borrow the money then it seems unlikely you would qualify for a fee waiver. I believe if you apply and don't provide an IHS number which proves that you've paid the fee that they will contact you and ask you to pay within a certain period of time which is something like 7 or 10 days.

·
Registered
39,061 Posts
I'm afraid the logic Home Office will use is if you can't afford the fees including health surcharge, you can't afford to sponsor so no visa or leave will be issued. Only in the most desperate and compassionate circumstances will fees or charge be waived.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But they gave him recourse to public funds anyway so obviously they weren't expecting me to support him as such

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And what would be the point of even having the fee waiver if applying for it would mean they turned down your visa application? It doesn't seem very fair. There is also a mention of disability on the fee waiver forms and he does have a disability too and we have supporting documents

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I remember being told he would never be granted dlr etc but he was so surely there's a chance they will see that we will struggle if we pay that £600 for surcharge as well now when we have only just found out about it as it wasn't around when he applied the first time

·
Registered
39,061 Posts
OK, if you think you know better, try applying without paying IHS and see what happens. This thread is now closed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.