Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on my application for French citizenship and I need to get an FBI background check.

1. Does the background check have to get an apostille?

2. Have any of you used an FBI channeller?
They seem extremely sketchy, but might be worth it to get in a few days versus 3-4 months. The only one near my home in Massachusetts only does livescan results and then gives you a pdf. Will the French government accept a pdf I print out?

3. Can you mail your application for an FBI background check from France?
I would imagine that this wouldn't be a problem as long as it actually got to them. What would the safest way be to send it from overseas?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
50,425 Posts
Unless the list of documents from the prefecture/tribunal says so explicitly I wouldn't bother. (Let's just say I certainly didn't when I went for my French citizenship.)

They seem extremely sketchy, but might be worth it to get in a few days versus 3-4 months. The only one near my home in Massachusetts only does livescan results and then gives you a pdf. Will the French government accept a pdf I print out?
Ooh, that does sound sketchy. No idea what the purpose is of a "channeller" - but the whole idea of getting an FBI rap sheet is normally pretty straight-forward. The key thing is to get the official fingerprint card (which you have to get from the FBI office - though there is one in Boston) and to make sure the fingerprints are good (i.e. clear). Not sure how it works now, but a few years back when I was getting my citizenship, the local police station could/would do the fingerprints as long as you had the official FBI card.
I would imagine that this wouldn't be a problem as long as it actually got to them. What would the safest way be to send it from overseas?
Sure. When I did it I just mailed it. (Had the fingerprints done at the Paris consulate, which is no longer an option.) But if you're in the US, mail it from there, but with your address in France. It really shouldn't be a problem.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your French Citizenship checklist requires an FBI background check?

If you don't mind my asking, what is your basis for Citizenship?

Mine was through marriage, and I didn't need FBI clearance or fingerprints, I just needed a "Police Clearance Letter", which I was able to get from my local County Sheriff's office.

The requirements list changes from time-to-time. I'd make sure you're looking at the most recent list...

I say this because for years I kept referring to a list I'd received from my local French Consulate, but at some point the requirements changed and I didn't know it.

I'd kept putting it off because one difficult thing was the Dept of Justice "clearance" (FBI thing) with Apostilles...

But, I went on to the appropriate French website one day, and the requirements were less difficult to meet! The law had changed and I didn't have to jump through quite so many hoops.

I finally got mine.

Bonne chance!

·
Administrator
50,425 Posts
Your French Citizenship checklist requires an FBI background check?
I had to get an FBI "rap sheet" - which meant getting fingerprinted - and I got my citizenship "by marriage" too. But since you are supposed to submit your application to the appropriate agency in your departement (when I got mine, it was the Tribunal de Grande Instance) the specifics can vary by departement. Last I knew, in my departement, the application now goes to the prefecture, though that could also change. It can also make a difference where you were living prior to moving to France - in my case, it was not anywhere in the US. In fact, it was kind of "strange" to have to provide "police clearance" from a country I had not lived in for at least 10 years prior.

But the French administration has its ways and customs, and I strongly suspect that rolling with the punches is part of the thing about proving how well assimilated you are. <g>
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
From the US...lived in Canada, UK, & France
1,307 Posts
I'm working on my application for French citizenship and I need to get an FBI background check.

Thanks!
When we applied for our Visa de Longue Sejour, we were required to submit an FBI Criminal Report (which essentially meant that after a search, the FBI said that we’d committed no crimes), which we submitted to the French Consulate in Boston along with the rest of our documents.

We were fingerprinted at our local police station on Cape Cod and then we mailed the fingerprints per the directions on the website to the FBI. I think it took several weeks to a month to get it back.

I’m not sure if what we requested is what you’re requesting. Ours wasn’t a “background check”, it was a check on our criminal records (or lack thereof).

Documents that are published by a federal agency can be apostilled by another federal agency, such as the US Consulate / Embassy in Paris. Documents that are published by local governments, such as birth certificates, must be apostilled by the Secretary of State of the state in which the document was published.

There were agencies that advertised that they could get one’s FBI criminal records check quickly when we applied. We decided to apply directly to the FBI. I’m glad that we did as we received a signed letter / report in reply.

Unless the FBI no longer takes such requests by mail, I don’t see why you couldn’t mail it to them from France. If your “background check” requires fingerprints, it might be a bit trickier.

Best of luck.

Ray

·
Registered
344 Posts
I remember that when I first went for my citizenship (through marriage) I had been here for 8 years (and still had 3 years left on my card). The woman I talked to told me to wait for two years and that way I could avoid the fbi papers all together. So I did since I had the time and when I went for my citizenship the second time there was nothing at all relating to fbi papers. I do believe I needed the judiciaire casier, but that is the french police report that you can get online free (I had already did it once before for my job anyway so was familiar with the process).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts