Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

In an effort to discover new music...

Living in Dubai at the moment and I wanted to post my current favorites. Please share whatever music youd like to from the country you are staying in, id prefer electronic / dance / club music but I am open to anything I guess. Are we allowed to link to Youtube videos? The forum rules state not to post copyrighted stuff but I am linking to the videos posted by their copyright holders on Youtube, hope its ok, if not, please PM me! I dont make a habit of breaking forum rules.

Cheeers!

Angham - Layali
(Saints Club Remix)

Stromae - Alors on Danse

Both videos are courtesy of their copyright holders / record label. Post some new music and if you cant link the video, its ok! At least post the song names / artists! The language the music is in doesnt matter to me, so long as its danceable! :)

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
HAAHHHHAAAAAAAAAAA Now that is funny.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Not exactly into the nightlife or clubbing so the electronic music I am exposed to is the one that is played on the radio often. The majority isn't my cup of tea but I have to admit (I guess this is a guilty pleasure?) that I find some of the stuff by Lady Gaga enjoyable. Not saying it's good or in-depth or so, but it's catchy and the tunes do repeat themselves in the brain (especially the Alejandro song). Robyn has some good tunes as well.

But what about Infected Mushroom or the Scissor Sisters? If you consider it electronic music (up for debate I guess?) I must say I quite like those. Their synths-swamped cover of Comfortably Numb is one of the best covers done in the last decade (even if Pink Floyd purists always call it blasphemy to say so)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not exactly into the nightlife or clubbing so the electronic music I am exposed to is the one that is played on the radio often. The majority isn't my cup of tea but I have to admit (I guess this is a guilty pleasure?) that I find some of the stuff by Lady Gaga enjoyable. Not saying it's good or in-depth or so, but it's catchy and the tunes do repeat themselves in the brain (especially the Alejandro song). Robyn has some good tunes as well.

But what about Infected Mushroom or the Scissor Sisters? If you consider it electronic music (up for debate I guess?) I must say I quite like those. Their synths-swamped cover of Comfortably Numb is one of the best covers done in the last decade (even if Pink Floyd purists always call it blasphemy to say so)
I absolutely love Infected Mushroom, although as of late theyve really started changing their style... Ive seen them live at least 10 times now. Astral Projection is another similar group that used to be good back in the day and now they kinda suck.

Lady Gaga, I have to admit, all of her songs are catchy. If I hear one on the radio, forget it, its over. Ill end up humming the tune the rest of the day... haha.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I absolutely love Infected Mushroom, although as of late theyve really started changing their style... Ive seen them live at least 10 times now. Astral Projection is another similar group that used to be good back in the day and now they kinda suck.

Lady Gaga, I have to admit, all of her songs are catchy. If I hear one on the radio, forget it, its over. Ill end up humming the tune the rest of the day... haha.
My native Belgium has a reputation with electronic music, but I've been gone too long to know the new names in the scene. Back when I was in Belgium there were Sylver, Milk Inc, Lasgo and Hooverphonic, and in the nineties we had Fiocco, Poco Loco Gang, The MacKenzie ft Jessie and several others that I've probably forgotten.

I know Infected Mushroom mainly because they are from the country I would love to move to, Israel. Thanks to reading interviews with them I found out Israel has a huge techno/electro scene so probably there must be more bands in that style, Infected Mushroom are the ones who managed to get success far beyond Israel but the clubbing scene is big there, especially in Tel Aviv.

I love darkwave, as it is similar to gothic. A lot of it is synth-based but I guess you look more for clubbing music than other forms of electronic music?

If you like Lady Gaga, check out Swedish electropop artist Robyn, she's very catchy as well. She has her own YouTube channel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts