Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
Hi,
So out of 8.7 million Americans living overseas - just 3415 renounced their citizenship.
This represents 0.039% - hardly conclusive evidence of extreme hardship!
Cheers
Steve

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
Anybody can file a lawsuit, especially presidential candidates in a crowded primary field who are polling in the single digits in a post-Citizens United world of unlimited PAC contributions from wealthy people.

I doubt this lawsuit will go anywhere. The courts have been extremely reluctant, understandably, to intervene in a thoroughly political dispute between the two other branches -- or, more precisely, between 1% of the Senate and the executive branch. If Senator Paul wishes to abolish or modify FATCA he has a perfectly wonderful option available: convince his fellow Congressmen to pass legislation with a veto-proof margin.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Hi,
So out of 8.7 million Americans living overseas - just 3415 renounced their citizenship.
This represents 0.039% - hardly conclusive evidence of extreme hardship!
Cheers
Steve
The renunciation process is so obnoxious and the Form 8854 rigamarole so disgusting that many simply throw their US passport in the garbage and walk away from the whole fiasco. Many others have never had one in the first place. Such people will never appear on the list. Besides, the US government is cooking the list numbers anyway. No one knows the total number who are shedding US personhood both officially and unofficially.

Personally I know quite a few who have just ignored the US for years and continue to do so. Not scientific but in my circle there are more ignorers than official renouncers and there is no reason to believe this is atypical.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts