Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola! Here in San Miguel de Allende we have a way of using a USA plated car with expired TIP, or title transferred and even used by Permanente people here.

The system is by UCD.. I joined the union of farm workers here for 600 pesos and I am free to travel in the states of GTO, SLP and QRO...which is GREAT!!

Now I am thinking of moving to the beach.. Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta. Does anyone know if those Cities/States have a similar program to UCD?

Thanks for any help offered.

John

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Hola! Here in San Miguel de Allende we have a way of using a USA plated car with expired TIP, or title transferred and even used by Permanente people here.

The system is by UCD.. I joined the union of farm workers here for 600 pesos and I am free to travel in the states of GTO, SLP and QRO...which is GREAT!!

Now I am thinking of moving to the beach.. Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta. Does anyone know if those Cities/States have a similar program to UCD?

Thanks for any help offered.

John
I am glad it is working out like that, but...
It is an illegal way to fix illegal problems
Please, do not recommend that to people, at least not in Mexico

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I beg to differ Gary. Here in SMA we have a LEGAL way (via UCD) to put plates on an illegal car (expired TIP for example). The state FULLY supports this method and the transito and customs here are also on board.

I was not recommending anything. I have a question :)

Now back to my question please...

·
Super Moderator
8,962 Posts
I beg to differ Gary. Here in SMA we have a LEGAL way (via UCD) to put plates on an illegal car (expired TIP for example). The state FULLY supports this method and the transito and customs here are also on board.

I was not recommending anything. I have a question :)

Now back to my question please...
Sounds like a way for the UCD to make money from expats who are looking for an easy way out of dealing with an illegal car.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
UCD plates are not legal, the vehicles are not registered, and it is an easy way to get around things, as you stated before.
Guanajuato has a lot of illegal, chocolate, vehicles and they have never been able to solve it in a good way. That is why they have to look the other way.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Sounds like a way for the UCD to make money from expats who are looking for an easy way out of dealing with an illegal car.
I guess some expats take advantage of that, those UCD plates are used mostly by Mexicans, paisanos, who bring vehicles illegally and want to make them pass as farming use vehicles.
Which, by the way, if those plates are used by expats, is also a joke

·
Super Moderator
8,962 Posts
UCD plates are not legal, the vehicles are not registered, and it is an easy way to get around things, as you stated before.
Guanajuato has a lot of illegal, chocolate, vehicles and they have never been able to solve it in a good way. That is why they have to look the other way.
Maybe the UCD has paid off the appropriate officials in Guanajuato, so they won't arrest the scofflaws riding around in UCD-plated cars.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I re read the original post, you JOINED the UNION OF FARMERS GROUP?
in any light, that is cheating!

You are not a farmer, not in an union, don't have a farming vehicle, just wanted to use your illegal vehicle and paid $600 pesos

Answering the question: there might be a way of going around the law in Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta, perhaps one that the locals consider as everyone does it, why not me?
In fact, you can also buy pirate cds and dvd's, it goes along with that line of actions

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Let me tell you why I feel bad about UCD plates;
I pay my taxes, take my darn vehicles to pollution check and pay, pay the yearly fee for them, have them registered...
And then, many people with chocolate vehicles, get around all that for a few pesos and a mickey mouse plate.
Besides, whenever a bad accident happens, the driver in the chocolate car flees and...nothing happens, they may be used to commit any type of crimes, you just dump them. This is not my imagination working, It happens, those are facts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Let me tell you why I feel bad about UCD plates;
I pay my taxes, take my darn vehicles to pollution check and pay, pay the yearly fee for them, have them registered...
And then, many people with chocolate vehicles, get around all that for a few pesos and a mickey mouse plate.
Besides, whenever a bad accident happens, the driver in the chocolate car flees and...nothing happens, they may be used to commit any type of crimes, you just dump them. This is not my imagination working, It happens, those are facts
There are any number of things people can do which are marginally legal and yet, unethical or just plain sleazy.
All the way from avoiding paying for legal CD's to avoiding paying your fair share of road costs by driving around for years on South Dakota plates, to, in this case, using what was intended as a break for farmers to avoid dealing with a foreign plated car.

If you don't mind living in that kind of mind-set......by all means, go for it.:wof:

·
Super Moderator
8,962 Posts
There are any number of things people can do which are marginally legal and yet, unethical or just plain sleazy.
All the way from avoiding paying for legal CD's to avoiding paying your fair share of road costs by driving around for years on South Dakota plates, to, in this case, using what was intended as a break for farmers to avoid dealing with a foreign plated car.

If you don't mind living in that kind of mind-set......by all means, go for it.:wof:
I assume your remarks are not directed at Gary.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I assume your remarks are not directed at Gary.
My remarks are not aimed at anyone in particular; just a general opinion about certain attitudes and behaviors I've seen among some expats; that attitude being that it's okay to do whatever it takes that will save them some money.

Granted, I'm not very tolerant about that attitude since I pay my taxes, pay my yearly Mexican license fees and don't buy pirated versions of copyrighted material which deprives the creators of the royalties to which they are entitled. I don't expect everyone else to agree, nor would I turn anyone in whose ethics are "situational". That's up to each person.
Whether or not I respect people with those attitudes is another matter.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Moral issues aside, the practice as described in earlier posts, "marginalizes/skirts" emission controls, safety requirements, and overall FED import regs that can potentially lead to a quick total lose of collateral via confiscation by an uncooperative government official.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Moral issues aside, the practice as described in earlier posts, "marginalizes/skirts" emission controls, safety requirements, and overall FED import regs that can potentially lead to a quick total lose of collateral via confiscation by an uncooperative government official.
They have to impound the vehicle first and confiscation come later. You can pay a fine and get it back if you know how. It would be more than 1 uncooperative offical involved.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Asking a question on the group can be sooo problematic.

I am NOT interested in your opinions, especially Gay J, Mexican Citizen, I am not interested in what any poster thinks of pirated CD's or other such behavior and then campraring me to such activities. I get it, you are all perfect goody two shoes. Lets move on.

I had a VERY simple question about organizations similar to UCD here in Gto. Not ONE of you has offered a yes or no in this regard. Just brash opinions, accusations about my methods and your interpretations of the law. This forum is FULL of such replies... which have NOTHING to do with the QUESTION.

I think my very first question here 18 months ago was regarding how to move to Mexico and some basic questions. Member LONGFORD gave me his opinion also..which of course had nothing to do with my question. His opinion was that I could not qualify to live as a Resident of Mexico and that I didn't seem adventurous enough. Ha. This is my second year as Temporal. Such poor information from him and hurtful to my dream or anyone's dream.

Hurtful and inaccurate replies add ZERO value to a discussion. Replies that do not answer my question are also a waste of my time.

John

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
So: people who answered and essentially, agreed with Gary, are "goody two shoes" eh?
quoting Gary:
"I am glad it is working out like that, but...
It is an illegal way to fix illegal problems
Please, do not recommend that to people, at least not in Mexico "

I think Gary said it all.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
To add to my previous post: Not long ago, a poster asked a question about how he could go on living in Mexico, legally, although his income was not sufficient to qualify for permanent residence. What followed was a very lively debate on the subject between well meaning members of this forum. The end result was helpful to him. Some people felt strongly that he shouldn't try the crossing the border every six months on a visitor visa; some looked up the laws and questioned authorities about the legality of it. In the end, he was given information that was useful to him, and according to his later posts, he is working on it.
That is part of the purpose of this forum: it's not about providing information about how to get around the laws. Since this is a public forum, it would be unwise for anyone to do so, for reasons that are obvious.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Dear John
On one side, I am sorry that you don’t get the answer you want as you want it.
Regarding this subject, you are basically asking abut an illegal fix, but first you said that you are happy of doing it.

I gave my opinion because ...because I wanted to and this forum is to do that.

Besides, yes, Mexican citizen and I can have an opinion about what people do in my Country, especially foreigners.

Goody two shoes? This takes me to the second part of my post: I don't care what you or anyone calls me, at least I have my car's papers in order.
Tell you what: open your own forum and make your own rules
and, if you want to keep paying a few pesos to get mickey mouse's plates, in a very respectfull way I ask you to leave my Country, we have enough people like that already (Ya eramos muchos y parió la abuela)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.