Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

FAQs & lots of useful info.

184218 Views 43 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  xabiaxica
MODERATOR NOTE: if anyone has a useful link they think could be included in this thread, please contact xabiachica by PM


Simply - a NIE number is available to anyone with financial interests in Spain, whether they are resident or not - it is required, for example, to purchase or inherit property. You can have a NIE number without ever having been to Spain because they are available through Spanish consulates (if you have a good reason to have one). NIE certificates issued since early 2012 have a 3 month expiry date. The NIE number is for life, but if you need the certificate beyond that date you have to renew it. NB. As of 2016 'temporary' NIE certs are no longer issued. Use form EX15

A RESIDENT REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE is what EU citizens need if they intend to live here or have lived here for 90 days or longer. It's a record that you have registered as resident, as required by the Spanish authorities. Use form EX18

Link for all the forms you'll need to register / apply for residency

OFFICIAL Spanish Govt. GUIDE FOR BRITISH CITIZENS regarding registering leading up to & after BREXIT https://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/brexit...O4mYT5awDYeU-ZiAjdRd-r4euVj5IY-3Dy4Xj6BOLExRU

The above in ENGLISH https://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/lang/en/brexit/Documents/Inst conjunta Brexit _documento residencia_EN.pdf

info about how long a resident card/certificate is valid Expedición y vigencia del certificado de registro y de la tarjeta de residencia - Ministerio del Interior

find out where to take the forms here Extranjería en las Delegaciones del Gobierno :: Secretaría de Estado de Administraciones Públicas ::

more extranjerías Pgina oficial de la DGP-Comisara General de Extranjera y Fronteras

Residency Certificates, NIE numbers & Padrón

a thread from March 2012 discussing a 3 month time limit on NIEs Nie

discussion thread May 2012 regarding new requirements for EU citizens & residency
how the healthcare reforms affect EU citizens in Spain...

and the relevant law BOE.es - Documento BOE-A-2012-5403

thanks to PeskyWesky for the following
Residency requirements spain 2013 Some info which is needed by all EU citizens


Residency requirements

From 28 March 2007, Royal Decree 240/07 requires that all EU citizens planning to reside in Spain for more than 3 months should register in person at the Oficina de Extranjeros in their province of residence or at designated Police stations. You will be issued an A4 printed Residence Certificate stating your name, address, nationality, NIE number (Número de Identificación Extranjeros) and date of registration.

On 10 July 2012 the Spanish government introduced details of the new residency requirements for all EU citizens.
Under the new rules, EU citizens applying for residency in Spain may be required to produce evidence of sufficient financial means to support themselves (and dependants). Applicants may also be asked for proof of private or public healthcare insurance.

Nationals of:

  • a member state of the European Union
    other States party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area
have a right to reside in Spain for a period of longer than three months if they meet the conditions laid down in Article 7 of Royal Decree 240/2007, of 16 February 2007, on entrance, free movement and residence in Spain of Nationals of European Union member states and of other states party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area.

Spain: register your residency
discussion thread here Residency requirements spain 2013

PDFs about the Padrón & voting rights for foreigners - I produced these for our local authority (xabiachica)
Also Moving to Spain - registering as resident etc


See less See more
  • Like
Reactions: 5
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

Spanish Taxes and Boat Registration

Information about paying tax in Spain:
Spanish Income Tax 2010

Form for private individuals to sign up for the Spanish tax system:


Your NIE is not enough! Further information here:
Spanish Insight: Modelo 30 and other Spanish tax forms

non-resident tax info in English from the Spanish tax agency

the Spanish tax agency website - info for residents
See less See more
  • Like
Reactions: 1
Education in Spain

the definitive thread :D

Education in Spain

You can see Inspection reports of British Schools in Spain here https://www.britishcouncil.es/en/programmes/education/schools

and NABSS National Association of British Schools in Spain - Nabss

also COBIS Home - Council of British International Schools

I've found this, which seems to operate along the same lines as NABBS & COBIS - but for 'International rather than British
MAIS - Mediterranean Association of International Schools

the US Embassy also has a list of American schools in Spain


education in the Basque region http://www.guiaeuskadi.org/guia/?slnk=The-Basque-education-system

Special Educational Needs in Spain (website in Spanish) http://sid.usal.es/faq.aspx?ID=200

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...-living-spain/98058-bachillerato-3-years.html discussion about changes to the education system after the 2011 elections


Possibly the most often asked question is about what age children start school here, & will they be held back?

some schools will hold your child back for the first year to help them pick up the language, some will see how it goes & maybe hold back later

the biggest difference in Spanish schools is that the year they are in depends upon the year they were born, regardless of the month

the following is what year your child would be age-appropriate for when the school year starts in September 2023 - going by year of birth


2012 - 6th/last YEAR PRIMARY
2013 - 5th YEAR PRIMARY
2014 - 4th YEAR PRIMARY
2015 - 3rdYEAR PRIMARY
2016 - 2nd YEAR PRIMARY
2017 - 1st YEAR PRIMARY

2018 - 3rd/last YEAR INFANTS
2019 - 2nd YEAR INFANTS
2020 - 1st YEAR INFANTS

interesting website with calendario escolar by region, amongst other things


the current situation regarding Homeschooling in Spain

See less See more
  • Like
Reactions: 3
Speed limits correct as of 8/1/2019

Article January 2015

UKinSpain info Driving licences and vehicles

here's a link to the DGT - Dirección General de Tráfico - the govt agency which deals with driving, licences etc.

Dirección General de Tráfico : La DGT : Bienvenida

and the DVLA Driving in other countries on a GB licence : Directgov - Motoring

Discussion December 2014 including link to the law https://www.expatforum.com/expats/s...we-all-now-need-spanish-driving-licences.html

New driving rules May 2014 Blog | Legal4Spain

http://www.dgt.es/Galerias/seguridad-vial/educacion-vial/recursos-didacticos/infancia/2015/Sistemas-de-Retencion-Infantil-DGT.pdfAll about childrens' car seats

here are a few threads









See information from DGT regarding the sale of a vehicle :
Dirección General de Tráfico

To get a vehicle report from the DGT regarding fines etc:
if you have a digital certificate : https://sede.dgt.gob.es/es/tramites-y-multas/tu-coche/informe-de-vehiculo/
if you don't : https://sede.dgt.gob.es/es/tramites-y-multas/tu-coche/informe-de-vehiculo/obtener.shtml

And the form for notification of sale:

Dirección General de Tráfico

When your Spanish driving licence expires, you can now do the medical/aptitude test at a local medical centre with the new licence sent to you by post within a month. You no longer have to go to Trafico.

Read more at Suite101: Renewing a Spanish Driving Licence Avoiding Tráfico Headquarters Renewing a Spanish Driving Licence Avoiding Tráfico Headquarters

price of petrol Gasolineras repsol. Precio gasolina. http://www.geoportalgasolineras.es/


thanks to Pesky Wesky for the following

If you are disabled or have reduced mobility you may need a badge to go in your car to show that you can/ need to park in the parking spaces for the disabled. You will need to solicitar una tarjeta de estacionamiento para personas con mobilidad reducida (apply for a parking card for people with reduced mobility). Exactly what you have to do varies from place to place...

In Madrid: You have to have a paper certifying your disability. The disability is marked on a scale and you have to have 7 points or more before the parking card can be awarded.

Valencia: You have to be certified as having a degree of disability of 33% or more. This assessment is given in El centro de valoración y orientación.

I believe the process starts by going to your doctor who will then refer you to the place that you go to for the assessment.

DRIVING IN SPAIN AS A TOURIST this is a link to turespaña which is a Spainsh govt. agency for tourists
Driving in Spain: practical information and advice. |spain.info in English


Disabled/blue card holders parking rules

Tarjetas de aparcamiento para discapacitados - OCU


See less See more
  • Like
Reactions: 2
Renting in Spain

these links are for companies which cover the whole country

Pisos en alquiler en España, Madrid y Barcelona - Enalquiler.com


Viviendas en España. Fotocasa.es

idealista.com — casas y pisos, alquiler y venta. anuncios gratis

Spanish Property to let, Spanish Property long term let

New rules on rental law June 2013
discussion thread

standard residential rental contract taking the new June 2013 changes into account

nuevo modelo de contrato de alquiler tras la nueva ley — idealista.com/news/

And here's a standard contract used by a forum member.

Basic rental template

& the law regarding long term rentals

Ley 29/1994, de 24 de noviembre, de Arrendamientos Urbanos

Tips for renting through an agent
I'd love to be able to personally recommend a great agent, but after 10 years of renting I can't

how to tell if they are 'for real'?

you are generally safer if they have an office - insist on meeting at an office

never ever pay a cent until you have physically seen the property & have a contract & are ready to sign it (sounds obvious, but people have been known to do hand over money without seeing a property or having a contract)

the contract MUST be in Spanish - get it independently translated if you don't speak great Spanish - don't rely upon the agent's own translation

on a long let you only ( legally ) have to pay one month rent (or 2 if furnished as of June 2013) as a deposit & a month upfront - it's up to you if agree to more, but there are more properties to rent than tenants, so why would you?

some agents will want a one-off 'finders fee' - it's up to you if you choose one of these agents - but as I said - there are more properties to rent than tenants, so why would you?

try to negotiate the monthly rent down - as I said (again) - there are more properties to rent than tenants, so why wouldn't you?

finally - none of this guarantees that the agents are actually any good OR that they won't fight tooth & nail to not return your deposit at the end of the lease - but at least you will have done all that you can to cover yourself



See less See more
  • Like
Reactions: 5
validating qualifications

Your first point of contact should be NARIC, which is basically an organisation that helps those moving to another country validate and cross-reference any qualifications they may have obtained in their own country, to the system of their new country.
As far as Spain is concerned the contact is as below :

M. Isabel Barrios, NARIC España / Spanish NARIC.
Ministerio de Educación, SG de Titulos y Reconocimiento de Cualificaciones, Paseo del Prado, 28-28014 Madrid, Spain.
Phone: +34 91 506 5593
Fax: +34 91 506 5706
[email protected]
Portada > Universidades > Educación superior universitaria > Títulos > Homologación de títulos - Ministerio de Educación

Defra approved companies for transporting your pets http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/routes/


Dangerous animals in Spain

Perros potencialmente peligrosos - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre - info re: 'Dangerous dogs list'

travelling with pets/dogs (thanks jimenato)

I have stayed here twice - it takes dogs in the rooms and there's somewhere to walk them. It's cheap and cheerful but the rooms are nice - the bar good and the food typical "Venta" style.

Coming south, go through Burgos and drive for another 40ish minutes. At the next big junction there is a very large truck stop. It's on the other side of the carretera but you can't miss it and it's a cloverleaf junction so easy to negotiate.

Google Maps

Google Maps

Our little dog Fraggle travels very well. He just sleeps the whole way - waking up only to growl threateningly at the toll collectors and the Osborne bulls.


Welcome | Home


importation of pets from the USA or Canada http://www.mapausa.org/espana/vi_an.htm

leishmaniosis map


See less See more
to complain about telecoms companies

Back in the land of the living - temporarily at least!!
On the 13th of July a digger cut through our, and several neighbours telephone lines. Yesterday, 3 weeks to the day, we managed to get a provisional line after hours of futile telephone conversations, 5 visits from technicians, 2 letters of complaint and a burofax (a kind of notarized letter). Of course this could all end at any time because it's provisional and Telefónica are still supposed to dig everything up and re-lay the line...
Anyway, yesterday I was talking to a friend who is having hige problems with Vodaphone and she told me about this
Oficina de Atención al Usuario de Telecomunicaciones - Oficina de Atención al Usuario de Telecomunicaciones
Hard as it may be to believe, this is a page set up by the Ministerio de Industria, Turismo y Comercio to guide consumers through the complaint procedure to a telephone company, such is the number of complaints.


Why don't they just pass a few laws and then see that they are adhered to???
See less See more
  • Like
Reactions: 2

OK, here's a list of what you need to "cobrar el Paro"get unemployment benefit
La documentación básica que hay que presentar incluye:
  • Impreso de solicitud de la prestación por desempleo cumplimentado. Hay que indicar los datos personales.
  • Original del DNI o NIE (Número de Identificación de Extranjeros) y una fotocopia.
  • Impreso de domiciliación bancaria, en el que debemos indicar la entidad y el número de cuenta donde queremos que nos ingresen la prestación. Una vez cumplimentado hay que llevarlo al banco para que lo vise, es decir, para que confirme que los datos de la domiciliación son correctos. Luego hay que entregarlo a la oficina de empleo.
  • Comunicación de datos al pagador. Es un impreso del Ministerio de Hacienda que hay que rellenar con datos personales como el número de hijos para que se nos aplique la retención correspondiente del IRPF de acuerdo con nuestra situación particular.
  • Compromiso de actividad. El beneficiario de la prestación por desempleo ha de firmar este documento por el que se compromete a buscar trabajo activamente, presentarse a cubrir las ofertas de trabajo que le facilite la oficina de empleo, aceptar ofertas adecuadas y participar en acciones de información y orientación, etc.
  • Autorización para recoger información de la Agencia Tributaria. El beneficiario ha de autorizar a la oficina de empleo para que pueda consultar informáticamente ciertos datos fiscales. Si no la autoriza, deberá aportar él mismo esa información.
  • Certificado de empresa (rellenado, sellado y firmado) de los últimos 180 días cotizados. Este documento hay que pedirlo en la empresa. Deben entregarse en la oficina de empleo tantos certificados como empresas donde se haya trabajado en los últimos seis meses.
  • TC-2 de los últimos 180 días cotizados sellados por la entidad financiera (fotocopias). Este documento también hay que pedirlo a la empresa, excepto si está acogida al sistema RED. En ese caso la oficina de empleo puede acceder a la información que necesita informáticamente.
  • Última nómina y fotocopia de cada relación laboral finalizada en los últimos 180 días cotizados.
  • Documentación que acredita la situación legal de desempleo. La más habitual es la carta de despido, el contrato y la comunicación de cese, el acta del CMAC o la sentencia judicial.
La oficina de empleo facilita los impresos correspondientes a los puntos 1, 3, 4, 5 y 6. El interesado ha de pedir a la empresa los documentos de los puntos 8, 9 y 10.

The things in red are the things you're supposed to get from the company

More info on Paro: cobrar el paro - Requisitos que has de cumplir

(5/11/11) it seems also that INEM is no longer INEM as stated here
Servicio Público de Empleo Estatal
It is SEPE, Servicio Público de Empleo Estatal
Link here
Servicio Público de Empleo Estatal
See less See more
british consulate

The British Embassy in Spain

and to register with them as living abroad

teaching English in Spain

the definitive thread :D


working as an English Language assistant in state schools
http://www.britishcouncil.org/language-assistants/become/spain or http://www.mecd.gob.es/eeuu/convoca...torias-eeuu/auxiliares-conversacion-eeuu.html


Job sites for TEFL/ English teachers - thanks Pesky Wesky for the links
Here are a few of the best sites to look for teaching jobs in Spain
Vacancies in the database - TEFL.com[age]=&searchOpts[cou_id]=196&searchOpts[titleKeywords]=madrid&searchOpts[jo_category]=0&searchOpts[ec_id]=0&x=0&y=0

Job Opportunities | www.spainwise.net


TEFL Jobs in Spain | TEFL Org UK

TES for British and International schools as well as the occasional "other"
Europe, Spain Jobs
Same for the Guardian
jobs in Spain | Spain Jobs | Guardian Jobs

Madrid and Barcelona

Employment - Madrid


And you can always try Linked In
See less See more
  • Like
Reactions: 1
Spain Visas, Permits and Immigration for non-EU citizens

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...g-spain/109755-spanish-consulate-chicago.html discussion thread

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...on-eu-nationals-becoming-residents-spain.html discussion thread

Link to a post with info. re: retirement visa for non-EU nationals http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...0-retirement-thinking-ahead-3.html#post660713

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...12390-retirement-visa-us-citizens-we-got.html discussion thread

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/spain-expat-forum-expats-living-spain/121846-u-s-spain.html discussion thread

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...-american-brit-wife-england-moving-spain.html discussion thread

the following application forms are from the Spanish consulate San Francisco - other Consulates may have different requirements, but they are are good guideline, at least (added 29/9/2014)
non-lucrative visa

entrepreneur visa

retirement visa

residence for real estate visa (so-called Golden Visa)

other application forms for other visa can be found here : http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados/SANFRANCISCO/en/ConsularServices/Pages/Visas.aspx

without a residence visa, non-EU citizens can stay only 90 days in every 180 in the Schengen zone
See less See more
  • Like
Reactions: 1
Spanish Forms & Useful Links

This is the full sp on spanish legal aid law.

European Commission - European Judicial Network - Legal aid - Spain

You can also click on country flags on the right & see other eu country legal aid law.

This is spanish social security rights , including ,employment , healthcare,maternity/paternity,sickness, o.a.p's. etc;
Did you know you can receive a spanish non-contributory pension if you have no income ?

http://ec.europa.eu/employment_soci...U/Your social security rights in Spain_en.pdf
See less See more
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Not open for further replies.