Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to travel to Scotland for 6 months (from the end of August until the end of February). I will be travelling there to be with my wife while we wait for her marriage visa to the US to be approved.
1) Should I apply for this visa ahead of time or just hope to get it at the border?

2) How much money do I need to show in our bank accounts to be given this visa?

3) I will be employed by a non-profit organization that is supported by donors so would the UK deny me on the grounds of not having guaranteed income?

4) Is there some better visa to apply for?

·
Registered
39,081 Posts
I am hoping to travel to Scotland for 6 months (from the end of August until the end of February). I will be travelling there to be with my wife while we wait for her marriage visa to the US to be approved.
1) Should I apply for this visa ahead of time or just hope to get it at the border?

2) How much money do I need to show in our bank accounts to be given this visa?

3) I will be employed by a non-profit organization that is supported by donors so would the UK deny me on the grounds of not having guaranteed income?

4) Is there some better visa to apply for?
No you don't need visitor or any other visa. While granting leave to enter for 6 months is at the discretion of the immigration officer, 99% of visitors actually get it so you have a very good chance.
Things you should do to maximise your chances:
Get a return ticket.
Have bank statement showing sufficient balance and regular income (your non-profit employer doesn't matter).
If you are staying with your wife, get a letter from her hosting you.
Evidence that she has applied for US marriage visa and awaiting outcome, such as a copy of application or receipt.
You may not be asked to show any of these, but it's good to have them available just in case.
Make sure she is available to be contacted at the end of a mobile phone.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it possible to go into the UK on a family visitor visa for six months but during that time to go on a holiday out of the country to Europe?

·
Registered
39,081 Posts
Is it possible to go into the UK on a family visitor visa for six months but during that time to go on a holiday out of the country to Europe?
Yes, but you need to obtain a fresh leave as visitor on returnuing to UK from your trip. So have in your carryon luggage the same evidence as when you arrived first time. You aren't supposed to stay longer than 6 months in 12 months in UK, so work out your dates carefully.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.