Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me if someone has already asked this question and I overlooked it.

I am an American and my wife is British. We currently live in America and are expecting our first child who we will get both passports for. We were unable to apply for a spouse visa to live in the UK because my wife doesn't earn the required amount. But, my wife's half sister is fully German and lives in the UK, her ex-husband is Turkish and he gets to remain in the UK because his kids are there. I say all that so you can follow my train of thought that has led me to think that maybe once our first child arrives we could possibly have an easier time of getting a visa for me to live in the UK. Any help that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. I'm fully prepared to hear that having a kid would only make things more difficult.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Please forgive me if someone has already asked this question and I overlooked it.

I am an American and my wife is British. We currently live in America and are expecting our first child who we will get both passports for. We were unable to apply for a spouse visa to live in the UK because my wife doesn't earn the required amount. But, my wife's half sister is fully German and lives in the UK, her ex-husband is Turkish and he gets to remain in the UK because his kids are there. I say all that so you can follow my train of thought that has led me to think that maybe once our first child arrives we could possibly have an easier time of getting a visa for me to live in the UK. Any help that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. I'm fully prepared to hear that having a kid would only make things more difficult.
You having a child makes no difference to your situation.

Your wife is British and therefore in order to move to the UK she needs to sponsor you for a spouse visa.

Your wife's ex-husband is in the US based, presumably, on EU laws as he was once married to a European and even if divorced, as long as he was married for three years, he retains his right to live in the UK - bizarre I know.

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
Crawford, I'm sure these are just typos but I think you mean his wife's "sister's ex-husband is in the UK"....

I agree with Crawford. Having a child does not change anything. Your wife still needs to meet the financial requirement in order to sponsor you.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Crawford, I'm sure these are just typos but I think you mean his wife's "sister's ex-husband is in the UK"....

I agree with Crawford. Having a child does not change anything. Your wife still needs to meet the financial requirement in order to sponsor you.
Yikes..... fingers moving faster than brain

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
This thread has been going for some time so presumably the poster has thought about the SS route, where one moves the family to another EU state, lives and works there and THEN applies for the family permit.

However a new baby adds an enormous complication to the situation.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This thread has been going for some time so presumably the poster has thought about the SS route, where one moves the family to another EU state, lives and works there and THEN applies for the family permit.

However a new baby adds an enormous complication to the situation.
Thanks so much for all the help to you both. I had heard of that route but it hasn't been possible for us thus far. We'll just keep praying that we'll be where we should be regardless of where we want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.