Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.
After googling endlessly, sending various emails and trying to use the GOV website which has been less than helpful, I was wondering if you kind & knowledgeable folks could help me.

I am a British citizen. I moved to the USA 2 years ago to marry my husband. We now have a baby and due to family reasons we would like to relocate to the UK-however we would like to do it (as I'm sure everyone does) by spending the least amount of time apart as we can.

Our plan was to come over together and my husband stay as a Visitor and leave before the 6 months is up to look after our daughter whilst I get a job. Once he flies back we were going to apply for the visa and hope that it doesn't take months and months.

My question is; will he get denied due to coming over as a visitor first? will they not let him come as a visitor despite leaving before the 6 month visitor time frame?
We are at our wits end trying to make sense of Everything and desperately trying to stay together.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give us.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,

As long as he returns within his visa validity period (i.e. Before the 6 months are up) and you proceed to correctly apply for a spouse visa, there shouldn't be a problem.
After working for at least 6 months and earning the equivalent £18,600 per year, you would meet the financial requirement for the spouse visa. There are also other requirements, such as accommodation etc.

·
Super Moderator
18,072 Posts
In general, U.S. citizens can visit the UK for 6 months out of 12. However, he'll need to be prepared to show strong ties to the U.S. UKVI really aren't keen on people trying to live in the UK on a tourist visa.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
There is no way that one can forecast whether he would or would not be allowed in for 6 months. He would obviously have no strong ties to the US at that stage and a family intending to remain in the UK.

On the other hand, him intending to apply for a spouse visa would be an incentive to return to the US.

Other posters seem to have done this, although their spouses have stayed for shorter periods.

You seem to be assuming that once he flies back you would then apply for the visa. YOU have to have been employed for a minimum of 6 months, and then apply for the visa. There is no guarantee that you would obtain a job upon immediately returning.

I think you should be revising your timescales.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.