Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

First time poster - so please be gentle.

I've been offered a job in Oz, hoping to start in May. We're in the process of being offered a 457 visa - of which my wife and 2 kids (big kids 21+23) are on also.

Just been to a seminar in London - and pretty much the visa guy told me not to bother ! (with my age 50 etc) - there was a massive risk :eek:, that if it didn't work out (loss of job/ illness) we'd all be told to leave, unless I get another job in 28 days.

This has really made me think about the prospects now - this has really put a dampner on the whole thing.

I knew I was tied to the company for 4 years - but now worry that we may never get PR (if that's what we want) -and don't want to mess with my kids lives - or mine for that matter.

Does anyone have any words of comfort :(

·
Registered
42 Posts
Don't know the ins and outs of the system but I am hoping to go on a 457 (i am 47) and if it does'nt work out, so what, i'll come back home, tough my kids are 11 and 3 so will not have such an impact on them.

On a 457 I am not selling up but looking at it as a 2-3 year "chance"in Australia, if it works out I will apply for PR and sell the house, if not, it's back to the UK.

At our age you've gotta go with what YOU think is right.

Think about it like this, if you have got a job offer with a 457 in a sector where you have the skills that are needed, what can go wrong? We can all get "hit by a bus"

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do you kids work or are they still studying to be honest they would prob end up in Australia for a year on a WHV at some stage, if your worried about PR because of age maybe your children could go for it themselves so at least you know they would be ok just a taught I'm only 28 myself with two children 7 and 2 and we are hoping for a sponsor to jet off soon. I didn't ever get the opportunity to go on a WHV but it's one of my biggest regrets

Sent from my iPhone using ExpatForum

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Just found this post which seems to confirm what you were told http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...ralia/72166-switching-employers-457-visa.html

It's a risk anyone takes on a 457
This is quite a common rule in a lot of countries. As a UK passport holder, you may not know this but this rule also exist in the UK. I've previously held a work permit in the UK and the employer always dangles that over your head - if you resign, I will call the Home Office! Not sure what the grace period is in the UK but your employer is obligated to inform the Home Office if you cease your employment & you have to leave if you cannot find a new job/ new sponsor!

I'm in the UAE and if I resign I have only 30 days to find a new job and that's only if my employer is in a good mood and does not decide to impose a work ban on me!

My view is that it's better to chance it sometimes. Yes, it may not work out but that's a lot easier to deal with than spending the rest of your life wondering about what might have been! :)

P.S If you two do not want that opportunity, pass it along this way! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Snick

It's not cheap for a company to sponsor you through 457 so they must want your skills. And, if they do then other employers will to. I suspect the 'visa' guy had another agenda such as selling you a service. Don't worry about it. I would say keep your house in the UK.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree, and would say if you're comfortable with the risk then go for it! However, you should have a clear path to PR in your mind. As I'm sure you know there is no direct route from a 457 to PR. After 2 yrs (if you are not on the SOL) you may apply for a ENS PR, but this is only if your boss is willing to sponsor you (this is significantly more involved than a 457). Is this something you have discussed with them already?
(NB if you ARE on the SOL then you can apply for ENS PR immediately).

·
Banned
12 Posts
Best to get clear understanding with the employer as to the plan.

Hi there,

I've been offered a job in Oz, hoping to start in May. We're in the process of being offered a 457 visa - of which my wife and 2 kids (big kids 21+23) are on also.

Just been to a seminar in London - and pretty much the visa guy told me not to bother ! (with my age 50 etc) - there was a massive risk :eek:, that if it didn't work out (loss of job/ illness) we'd all be told to leave, unless I get another job in 28 days.

This has really made me think about the prospects now - this has really put a dampner on the whole thing.

I knew I was tied to the company for 4 years - but now worry that we may never get PR (if that's what we want) -and don't want to mess with my kids lives - or mine for that matter.

Best to get very clear understanding with the employer as to what your intentions are and keep a very open mind to other employment options as insurance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Snick

It's not cheap for a company to sponsor you through 457 so they must want your skills. UK.

FranD is right, your employer is going through the process of getting you to Australia so it means they need you for the long term. The 457 visa can be renewed as many time as needed.

The issue of age depends on what you are doing. If you are an engineer or medical practitioner age is not a disadvantage to the employer. However if you are in trades then you might find it hard to get your employer to sponsor you for permanent residence down the track.

Once in Australia many migrants find other program that suite them more then the 457, especially if they have a PR goal. But being 50 is a barrier to most visa classes, including the largest program - General Skilled Migration.

Cheers,
Sam Hammadieh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there,

Don't listen to that fool in London, I'm sure he'd be here himself if he could.

50 is the new 40.. etc

I moved to Melbourne from Dublin in 2004 with my family on a business skills visa and got the permanent residency in due course.

You would be insane to pass up this opportunity! Your kids will thank you forever although I'm surprised they got in on your visa as they're hardly dependants.

In summary we have no regrets.. so go for it!

P.S.
May is coming into winter so don't throw away your winter clothes whatever you do.

All the best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

I am 53 and have obtained a 457 visa from my new employer in Melbourne. We fly out on Friday and I feel I will be adding great value and skill set to my new employer for the next 4 years. I am not worried about losing the visa due to being made unemployed and have no intentions to resign. We will be starting the process for the Parent Visa though as soon as we get to Melbourne as our son and his family are residents in Oz. I am excited and have no fears, but should things not work out for what ever reason we can always come back to the UK.

Keep positive, I did and at 53 it's worked for me.....

Chris x

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there,

Hi
I have lived in Aus before and are now trying to go back on a 457 visa same age
Me pesonnelly I would not worry about work I dont think you would have any problems getting work,but it would pay to start applying for PR as soon as you can

·
Registered
8 Posts
go for it !!!!

I would say go for it . I came with my wife and Child (3 years ) on a 457 visa sponsored by my wife's hospital as she is a nurse. With in a period of 6 months the hospital nominated her for ENS PR , We put the application through (application forms are more or less the same as the ones we filled in for 457 visa) and now have been granted PR , Thats 13 months of arriving here ,,

My advice is do not listen to that fool and good luck

Hi there,

·
Registered
101 Posts
457 Visa

Hi there,

we too are about to move to Melbourne, just had AHPRA clearance for my wife's job (midwife) so just waiting for the visa to be finalised after the medical. I am 47, wife 45 and kids 11 and 13 so it is a massive move for us, especially as we are taking the kids out of fantastic Grammar schools. However, you have to think of the greater picture..what is left in this country (UK), especially work and education wise, for your kids? Oz seems to offer the perfect opportunity for those who want to work, and therefore I dont think you would have any trouble finding a job in the future if your skills are in demand.
We have decided to rent out our property initially for the duration of the 457, "just in case", but we have no intention of coming back to this hole!!

Go for it, I am sure you will not be disappointed.

John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts