Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

We are a young married couple moving to Essonne, more specifically close to Saclay, in France (91) in September. We are from Manchester and are due to have a new baby on the scene before we arrive in France, so it's all go!

As we have so much to organise, I am trying to find out some more about the area of Saclay and wondered if anyone had any info. My husband will be working in Saclay and we are trying to find out where the best place to live would be. We are looking for a well connected, family friendly community, with a station, and potential for making French and international friends in the area. We have been reccomended Gif-sur-Yvette and also Orsay and wondered if anyone had any opinions on these areas.

We are also hoping to rent an apartment or small house (min 2 beds), but have a small well behaved dog so will need some form of yard / garden even if small. Our dog is an adult dog, fully housetrained, very clean, super friendly and we are very responsible owners to her. Does anyone know the general consensus when it comes to renting a flat which accepts dogs? We are home owners in the UK, but I know that most rental places say no to animals, so I'm a bit worried that our little friend will limit our options on accomodation.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated as the more info we have the better prepared we can be!

Fran

·
Registered
127 Posts
We are also hoping to rent an apartment or small house (min 2 beds), but have a small well behaved dog so will need some form of yard / garden even if small. Our dog is an adult dog, fully housetrained, very clean, super friendly and we are very responsible owners to her. Does anyone know the general consensus when it comes to renting a flat which accepts dogs? We are home owners in the UK, but I know that most rental places say no to animals, so I'm a bit worried that our little friend will limit our options on accomodation.
You are in luck with the dog...as I understand it, it is illegal to refuse rental on the basis of having pets. So you should be able to rent anywhere. We're moving just a bit North of there in late July with 2 dogs and a cat. We are looking for a house rather than an apartment so that we have a garden for the dogs.

Good luck!

Caroline

·
Administrator
51,607 Posts
Gif and Orsay are very popular with the Saclay set. You may also want to take a look at Bures sur Yvette, which is between Gif and Orsay. The dog shouldn't be a problem.

I just happen to belong to the AVF for Bures-Gif-Orsay and can put you in touch with the Service Nouveaux Arrivants, if you like. The AVF has a "jeunes mamans" group for new mothers (and mothers to be). The AVF attracts lots of local French people as well as the international community from the nearby university, research centers and the Saclay industries.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
308 Posts
It is illegal but clearly frequent as landlords have issues with potentially damaging guests, and as law here protects more the person who rents that the one who owns and finally as offer is way below demand. So officially you will only know that you have not been selected among the numerous people having asked for the flat, but never truly know the reason why.
I would advise not to speak about the dog when having a contact with a landlord or an agency.
Marianne

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gif and Orsay are very popular with the Saclay set. You may also want to take a look at Bures sur Yvette, which is between Gif and Orsay. The dog shouldn't be a problem.

I just happen to belong to the AVF for Bures-Gif-Orsay and can put you in touch with the Service Nouveaux Arrivants, if you like. The AVF has a "jeunes mamans" group for new mothers (and mothers to be). The AVF attracts lots of local French people as well as the international community from the nearby university, research centers and the Saclay industries.
Cheers,
Bev
Hi Bev,

It would be amazing if you can put me in touch with the Service Nouveaux Arrivants, and the Jeunes Mamans groups looks perfect as well. Thanks so much for your help. Fran

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good advice, thanks. Is it common for a landlord to ask this question before renting to you?

Caroline
Hi all,

Re the dog / renting issue: I presume the contract will talk about animals, most UK contracts do so I'm not sure we'd get away with not mentioning it? I'd be happy to pay a dog 'caution' or deposit if needed as she's non-hairy, fully housetrained and not a chewer so I'm confident there would be no damage. Having said that, if there is more demand than supply, it's a bit worrying!

Caroline, will you let me know how you guys get on? I'd be really interested to hear! Are you travelling out with the dogs and then looking when you get there? Or are you planning an advance trip to hunt for accom?

Good luck with it all anyway!

Fran

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi all,

Caroline, will you let me know how you guys get on? I'd be really interested to hear! Are you travelling out with the dogs and then looking when you get there? Or are you planning an advance trip to hunt for accom?

Good luck with it all anyway!

Fran
I'll definitely post my experiences with the whole move. Unfortunately, we won't be able to do an advance trip (the costs are rapidly piling up! :eek:) I've been looking at pap.fr and seloger to get an idea of what's available. In May there should begin to be postings for houses available in August (if people give 3 months notice). So we're hoping to find something in early summer and have a contact over there do a walk through and check it out for us. I think we've decided to go with an unfurnished rental (3 year lease) and buy furniture when we get there. We are taking the dogs and cat with us - we're all flying Swiss Air. It should be an interesting trip!

Caroline

·
Registered
308 Posts
As it is illegal to refuse to rent to an animal owner, it is supposedly unlawful to ask. But the tenant has to sign the contract where he says he will respect the quietness of the building. So if the dog barks, the other inhabitants might succeed in throwing him out (but it would need a court decision). They will definitely make the tenant and his dog miserable, and I am aware of poisonning cases.
Some insurance companies ask if you have an animal to put it in the contract (it's the same insurance as your home insurance) and might write it on it bu usually the wording is "the insuree is covered to 3 dogs, 5 cats and 1 horse", not specifying if you do have those animals. You have to send / show the landlord the receipt of the insurance contract.
I never had any trouble (I own 2 cats) renting a flat but the owners or the agency always emphasized that I would be responsible for any damage. So I was very very careful with the état des lieux before and after renting (pictures pictures and... pictures).
Marianne

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As it is illegal to refuse to rent to an animal owner, it is supposedly unlawful to ask. But the tenant has to sign the contract where he says he will respect the quietness of the building. So if the dog barks, the other inhabitants might succeed in throwing him out (but it would need a court decision). They will definitely make the tenant and his dog miserable, and I am aware of poisonning cases.
Some insurance companies ask if you have an animal to put it in the contract (it's the same insurance as your home insurance) and might write it on it bu usually the wording is "the insuree is covered to 3 dogs, 5 cats and 1 horse", not specifying if you do have those animals. You have to send / show the landlord the receipt of the insurance contract.
I never had any trouble (I own 2 cats) renting a flat but the owners or the agency always emphasized that I would be responsible for any damage. So I was very very careful with the état des lieux before and after renting (pictures pictures and... pictures).
Marianne
Thanks for the info. Our dog never ever barks, so I'm not worried about the neighbours. We've only heard her bark maybe 4 or 5 times in the whole time we've had her, she's just not a barker. Good advice re the etat des lieux, thanks!

Fran

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll definitely post my experiences with the whole move. Unfortunately, we won't be able to do an advance trip (the costs are rapidly piling up! :eek:) I've been looking at pap.fr and seloger to get an idea of what's available. In May there should begin to be postings for houses available in August (if people give 3 months notice). So we're hoping to find something in early summer and have a contact over there do a walk through and check it out for us. I think we've decided to go with an unfurnished rental (3 year lease) and buy furniture when we get there. We are taking the dogs and cat with us - we're all flying Swiss Air. It should be an interesting trip!

Caroline
Great! Well good luck! We're going to do an advance trip in May and hopefully find and sign for something from 1st august or 1st sept. We're then driving over with the dog and all our gear in August or September!

Fran

·
Administrator
51,607 Posts
Hi Bev,

It would be amazing if you can put me in touch with the Service Nouveaux Arrivants, and the Jeunes Mamans groups looks perfect as well. Thanks so much for your help. Fran
Well, a-hem,I just happen to be part of the SNA team in our AVF so you're kind of already in touch with us. Let me know when you're going to be in the area and until then, just post any questions here as they come up. If you're in town when we hold one of our "rencontres" I'll make sure you get an invite, and otherwise I'll get you some of the documents they hand out about the town. (Mostly available from the various mairies if we can't hook up for some reason.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, a-hem,I just happen to be part of the SNA team in our AVF so you're kind of already in touch with us. Let me know when you're going to be in the area and until then, just post any questions here as they come up. If you're in town when we hold one of our "rencontres" I'll make sure you get an invite, and otherwise I'll get you some of the documents they hand out about the town. (Mostly available from the various mairies if we can't hook up for some reason.)
Cheers,
Bev
Brilliant! My email address is <snip> if anything comes up and it's easier than on here. Look forwards to it and I'll keep you posted!

Fran

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers,
Bev
Hi Bev,

We've got a plan together finally for our move to Essonne!

We're visiting the area this weeks (me and my Mum) and staying in Orsay just from Friday to Sunday. Our plans are to visit the areas and decide where is best to live, plus I am visiting Orsay Hospital and attending a 'presentation; by the hospital on saturday morning in Gif marie. Our second visit is the first week of July (4th July for a few days) when we are hoping to visit again and find a flat in order that we move in early to mid August.

I just wondered if you could keep me posted if there are any 'rencontres' which I could come along to in either of my visits or anytime from mid August.

Thanks again for your help. :)

Fran

·
Administrator
51,607 Posts
On your current timetable, I don't see much chance of a rencontre. Normally they're held once a month - usually either on a Monday or a Friday. The last two for the year are going to be April 29 and then a picnic on June 6. If you'll be in town either of those two days, do let me know.

After June, most associations pretty much shut down for the summer. Come September, though, you'll see signs up for the "Forums des Associations" - usually one of the first couple weekends in September depending on which town you wind up in. You can find the AVF and loads of other associations there and the first rencontre for the new season should be during the latter half of September.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On your current timetable, I don't see much chance of a rencontre. Normally they're held once a month - usually either on a Monday or a Friday. The last two for the year are going to be April 29 and then a picnic on June 6. If you'll be in town either of those two days, do let me know.

After June, most associations pretty much shut down for the summer. Come September, though, you'll see signs up for the "Forums des Associations" - usually one of the first couple weekends in September depending on which town you wind up in. You can find the AVF and loads of other associations there and the first rencontre for the new season should be during the latter half of September.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks Bev, well it sounds as if I'll just join in from late September. If you wouldn't mind popping details of the first 'rencontre' whenever you know about it, that would be fantastic. We'll know pretty soon (I hope!) where we'll be living.

Can I just ask, as you live in the region, are there many expats living in the area? I'm concerned I'm going to be isolated as I won't be working and am happy living further into Paris if there is more chance of making International friends. I speak french, so hopefully will have some french friends as well but I am rusty, so want to move somewhere with at least a small international community to help me on my way.

Thanks so much,

Fran

·
Administrator
51,607 Posts
Thanks Bev, well it sounds as if I'll just join in from late September. If you wouldn't mind popping details of the first 'rencontre' whenever you know about it, that would be fantastic. We'll know pretty soon (I hope!) where we'll be living.

Can I just ask, as you live in the region, are there many expats living in the area? I'm concerned I'm going to be isolated as I won't be working and am happy living further into Paris if there is more chance of making International friends. I speak french, so hopefully will have some french friends as well but I am rusty, so want to move somewhere with at least a small international community to help me on my way.

Thanks so much,

Fran
There are actually quite a few expats in the Bures-Gif-Orsay area, thanks to the research institutes, university and tech companies (on the Saclay plateau). Used to be lots of anglophones (Brits mostly, but a few Americans). These days there seem to be more visiting researchers and students from China, South America and Russia.

Anglophones are always VERY popular in our local AVF because so many of the folks want to practice their English. Believe me, you won't be isolated.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There are actually quite a few expats in the Bures-Gif-Orsay area, thanks to the research institutes, university and tech companies (on the Saclay plateau). Used to be lots of anglophones (Brits mostly, but a few Americans). These days there seem to be more visiting researchers and students from China, South America and Russia.

Anglophones are always VERY popular in our local AVF because so many of the folks want to practice their English. Believe me, you won't be isolated.
Cheers,
Bev
Wonderful. Makes me feel much better!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, we are also new to Essonne and are living in Gif sur Yvette. Only been here a month but it is a lovely area with lots of green open space. I have a two year old daughter and have not met many people yet so please get in touch when things are settled!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi, we are also new to Essonne and are living in Gif sur Yvette. Only been here a month but it is a lovely area with lots of green open space. I have a two year old daughter and have not met many people yet so please get in touch when things are settled!
Hello!

Wonderful. How are you finding things then? Are you settling in? Are you renting in Gif?

Its nice that you arrive in time for the summer. I'll def keep in touch with where we end up living as soon as we know. I can't wait to get going on house hunting and find out where we'll be.

I don't seem to be able to send you a private message with my email address, I'm not sure if it's because we're both 'newbie's' but why don't you try and send me yours and we'll make contact via email?

Fran

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.