Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my husband is an eea national and would one day like his brother to come live in England because his quality of life in Russia is very poor (works 12 hours a day 6 days a week).

apparently the only way to get a family permit is to show his brother is basically completely dependent financially on my husband.
can anyone go into more detail about this?

from what I understand, he would have to send so much money to completely cover his brothers essential life needs?

what if his brother instead gets a visitors visa and would apply for a residence card by being the extended family member of an eea national?
he would have to provide in the application these wire transfers for months?

he cannot show in the res card application how he's financially dependent on the eea national while in England, it HAS to be in the previous country they have lived together in?

while his brother is not in poverty, his life is miserable. in his country Russia he is stuck living paycheck to paycheck even after working 12 hours a day 6 days a week.
he wants to leave Russia desperately but...
my husband cannot help his brother then?

are there an sponsor visas where you sponsor someone to live with you for 6 months or something?

we're so disappointed!

·
Registered
39,079 Posts
While one can sympathise with your brother-in-law, there is little chance of success. Home Office scrutinises every application for residence card (about half the applications are refused), and for an extended family member, they have the support of the EU to conduct in-depth analysis. I can't see any of your suggested avenues succeeding.
Remember UK is trying to reduce immigration, and will do everything to stop people migrating if it's in their power to do so.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your quick reply!

would you happen to know the details on the amount of money you would have to send and for how long though -- just out of curiosity ?
because in Russia some things are very cheap so I wonder how they weigh if it's enough money etc
?

you don't really have to answer, but yeah, thank you!

·
Registered
39,079 Posts
There is no set figure, but it really must be a matter of life and death, i.e. without the financial support your brother-in-law would in fact be destitute:
5.1.2 Dependency
In determining if a family member or extended family member is dependent (i.e. financially dependent) on the relevant EEA national for the purposes of the EEA Regulations:
Financial dependency should be interpreted as meaning that the person needs financial support from the EEA national or his/ her spouse/civil partner in order to meet his/her essential needs – not in order to have a certain level of income.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/ecis/chapter5.pdf?view=Binary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.