Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Family Moving to Cascais And Would Appreciate Advise

7K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Ann-M 
cascais

Hi Lisa
1- House rental 4/5 bed in Cascais, you probably will be spending at least 1.000 Euros month
2- Private school to start it is the best idea, for the 2 girls something between 1.500 to 2.000 Euros month
3- Normal Portuguese tax is around 11% for social security and anything from 5% for IRS up to….
This is monthly
4- Not sure about outside of EU driving licenses. For EU citizens it is as it fallows.
Driving licenses issued by countries inside EU, are valid in Portugal, changing your EU license for a Portuguese one, it is optional. However drivers who relocate in Portugal have the duty to inform the regional IMTT office of their residence area. They should do it during the first 30 days of residence or they will be able to be fined
Basically you can call your nearest IMTT office or “Loja do cidadão”, (not all citizen shop agencies have this facility), and request the form “model 13”. With this form, you’re driving license and your Portuguese residence order; they will issue a document which will allow you to drive with your EU license a Portuguese REG. vehicle in Portugal, during the validation of your license. You can also download this MOD: 13 document on the IMTT website
Remember that it is illegal to drive a Portuguese reg. vehicle just in your normal EU license, except if it is a hired vehicle
5- If you will be leasing cars, you can do it with insurance cover included. For a Volvo SUV, you will be talking around, (probably), 1.000. In Portugal the registration plates come with the vehicle
6- Yes you will be able to see SCI, American Idol, Simpsons etch… but trough the Portuguese satellite system does show are a few seasons behind. American Idol, American best dance team, etch… several months
7- Cheapest way to stay in touch with your friends and family are web cams and Skype
8- All depends, I should say somewhere between 300 and 500 Euros
9- They work 7 days a week. In general Lisbon airport is busier at weekends so it will be faster and less stressful if you come during the week
10- Yes you will be able to work with your American clients. I suggest, for Tax reasons that you get payee in to your American account.

cascais

Hi Lisa
Just updating, regarding American driving license. I suggest you get in touched with the Portuguese IMTT about it. imtt@imtt.pt or 808502020 and the reason I am saying this, is because especial rules apply regarding American licenses. I gave them a call and they said that, because American driving licenses are temporary, ours last until you are 65. So it is possible that you might have to take a Portuguese driving test, all depends on the evaluation made by the IMTT office, regarding your process
The documents you need are:
2 Forms nº1
2 Photos
Portuguese residence order
Medical exam
Declaration from your Embassy/consulate confirming your Driving license
And if you need a driving test, will cost you an extra 55 Euros

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.