Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

If I want to include my spouse in my PR Visa, does English language test is compulsory for her. [At least should have functional English i.e. IELTS - 4.5, PTE -30 ]

Or it is not compulsory to have English exam for my partner.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi All,

If I want to include my spouse in my PR Visa, does English language test is compulsory for her. [At least should have functional English i.e. IELTS - 4.5, PTE -30 ]

It is mandatory, otherwise, you should pay VAC2 if she is not able to achieve such score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,846 Posts
It is mandatory, otherwise, you should pay VAC2 if she is not able to achieve such score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The VAC2 is AUD 4,890

Cheers

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi All,

You will need to establish that your spouse meets the requirement for functional English. English exam is one of the standard ways to meet the requirement. Alternatively, your spouse could avoid the tests if your spouse meets one of the following conditions

• Completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.
  • Completed at least five years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.
  • Successfully completed at least one year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma in an institution in Australia and all instructions were in English.
  • Completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate that required at least two years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Hi All,

It's not compulsory to have an English exam. There is a second fee of approximately $4900 for dependents over 18 who do not have Functional English.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not compulsory to have an English exam. There is a second fee of approximately $4900 for dependents over 18 who do not have Functional English.
Hi,

My partner is Electronics Engineer [4yr fulltime outside AUS] having 10+ years of exp in reputed MNC.

SO as per you its not mandatory for her to appear exam.

·
Registered
23,846 Posts
Hi,

My partner is Electronics Engineer [4yr fulltime outside AUS] having 10+ years of exp in reputed MNC.

SO as per you its not mandatory for her to appear exam.
You have to get a certificate from the college that the course teaching medium was English

That satisfies the requirements of functional English

If you are claiming partner points then she needs to give an exam and get atleast 6 in all modules

Cheers

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hi guys,
According to the DIBP an English test (functional English for spouse) must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.
Will the test result be valid if my wife will pass the exam before I´ve been invited for subclass 189? I have lodged my EOI and still waiting for the invite and wondering if she can pass the exam already now?
Thanks

·
Registered
23,846 Posts
Hi guys,
According to the DIBP an English test (functional English for spouse) must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.
Will the test result be valid if my wife will pass the exam before I´ve been invited for subclass 189? I have lodged my EOI and still waiting for the invite and wondering if she can pass the exam already now?
Thanks
better to wait for the 1st Round results and see the cut off and then decide

how confident are you that she will pass in th 1st attempt?
Do you fear that she may have to appear multiple times or take some classes or tuitions to pass

Keep this also in mind when taking a decision

Cheers

·
Registered
495 Posts
She can pass the exam anytime now.

In fact if you don't, you grant may be delayed, incase everything is ready but your wife scores are missing

Cheers
Thanks mate. She is currently studying and she received the letter from the University that the study is completely taught in English. I will try with this letter first and if DIBP doesn´t accept it, she will pass PTE then..

·
Registered
23,846 Posts
Thanks mate. She is currently studying and she received the letter from the University that the study is completely taught in English. I will try with this letter first and if DIBP doesn´t accept it, she will pass PTE then..
if she is still studying then DIBP may not accept the certificate
The requirements are that she should have completed the studies which required at least 2 years to complete and should have been taught entirely in English

When will she complete the course that she is taking and what is the overall duration of the course ?

Cheers

·
Registered
495 Posts
if she is still studying then DIBP may not accept the certificate
The requirements are that she should have completed the studies which required at least 2 years to complete and should have been taught entirely in English

When will she complete the course that she is taking and what is the overall duration of the course ?

Cheers
I know that DIBP may not accept it but do you think it´s worth to try? The overall duration of the course is 2 years but she won´t complete the study mate.. She is now pregnant and doesn´t go to the university anymore but is still registered there.

·
Registered
23,846 Posts
I know that DIBP may not accept it but do you think it´s worth to try? The overall duration of the course is 2 years but she won´t complete the study mate.. She is now pregnant and doesn´t go to the university anymore but is still registered there.
In immigration there is little chances of leeway
The CO has to follow all the rules and tick all the boxes to give the grant

I don't think you should have any hope in going down that route
It's a dead end

You have to plan for PTEA or IELTS
In fact I have heard for functional English it is easier to score in IELTS then PTEA
Please compare and decide

Cheers

·
Registered
495 Posts
In immigration there is little chances of leeway
The CO has to follow all the rules and tick all the boxes to give the grant

I don't think you should have any hope in going down that route
It's a dead end

You have to plan for PTEA or IELTS
In fact I have heard for functional English it is easier to score in IELTS then PTEA
Please compare and decide

Cheers
Hi mate,
My wife tried the mock PTE test and scored more than 30 overall. Just to be on a safe side, can she pass it now before I got the invite? I'm concerned as don't really understand what does it mean from DIBP

-----
Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.
-----

·
Registered
367 Posts
It means - she could either appear and clear the exam after you file your visa application (after you get the invite, pay the fees, upload documents and submit it all ) or clear the exam 12 months before you file your visa application.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts