Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Hi. I posted this already but got no reply - I think I was in the wrong forum.

We have just moved to Australia (3 weeks ago) and are currently staying with someone in St. Clair while we are getting ourselves sorted with more permanent accommodation. We have two children and want to live somewhere family-oriented but not yawn!! While we don't want to live in Sydney, we would like to be at least within an hour driving distance for work. We are Irish, just moved from outside San Francisco in the U.S.

Ideally I would like somewhere that has it's own entity and is not just a burb! I loved Katoomba when we were in the Blue Mountains but it is just too far from Sydney. Does anyone have any suggestions? Our budget is about $550/week for a rental. If we could leave near the ocean that would be a plus (nice but not essential)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Katie.

·
Registered
346 Posts
There are a few places closer to Sydney which are family friendly and within your budget. The thing you need to keep in mind is the closer you get to Sydney, the less "neighborly" it gets. Meaning the harder and harder it gets to make friends with people living next to you. Apart from "Hello" you will not get much. The further you get the more of a "village vibe" you get. Means you get to spend evenings and BBQs with your neighbors and make lots of friends quickly.

Cheaper, No beach, but safe, friendly and clean: Lane Cove, Hunters Hill, Concord, Breakfast Point. My pick - Rosebery,Roseville, Killara, Lindfield. Rosebery is getting on the pricey side but close to fantastic cafes, great parks and overall nice.

Pricier, but funky, friendly: Petersham, Lewisham, Newtown. These places definitely have their own entity. People are quite "unique" and alternative here, very friendly, honest and straightforward (generalization. I know )

Closer to beach: Cremorne (Heaps of Irish here, but rents are insanely high!), Mosman, Marubra, Malabar and Chiefley.

Chiswick, Drummoyne and abbotsford are worth a look too

In general take a look at www.domain.com.au
As long as you stay away from Bankstown, Lidcomb, Lakemba and Auburn, you should be fine.

Hope this helps :D

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
There are a few places closer to Sydney which are family friendly and within your budget. The thing you need to keep in mind is the closer you get to Sydney, the less "neighborly" it gets. Meaning the harder and harder it gets to make friends with people living next to you. Apart from "Hello" you will not get much. The further you get the more of a "village vibe" you get. Means you get to spend evenings and BBQs with your neighbors and make lots of friends quickly.

Cheaper, No beach, but safe, friendly and clean: Lane Cove, Hunters Hill, Concord, Breakfast Point. My pick - Rosebery,Roseville, Killara, Lindfield. Rosebery is getting on the pricey side but close to fantastic cafes, great parks and overall nice.

Pricier, but funky, friendly: Petersham, Lewisham, Newtown. These places definitely have their own entity. People are quite "unique" and alternative here, very friendly, honest and straightforward (generalization. I know )

Closer to beach: Cremorne (Heaps of Irish here, but rents are insanely high!), Mosman, Marubra, Malabar and Chiefley.

Chiswick, Drummoyne and abbotsford are worth a look too

In general take a look at www.domain.com.au
As long as you stay away from Bankstown, Lidcomb, Lakemba and Auburn, you should be fine.

Hope this helps :D

Good post -

I heard that the South-West surburbs and some of the western suburbs are the worst to live in. But in all fairness, this is just something that I heard, not sure if those rumors are true or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Naoto

Thank you so much for your reply - it was REALLY helpful and has come at a time of great frustration. I will start looking in some of the places you outlined in your reply. I really appreciate the time and thought you put into your reply. Katie.

Hi

Hi. I posted this already but got no reply - I think I was in the wrong forum.

We have just moved to Australia (3 weeks ago) and are currently staying with someone in St. Clair while we are getting ourselves sorted with more permanent accommodation. We have two children and want to live somewhere family-oriented but not yawn!! While we don't want to live in Sydney, we would like to be at least within an hour driving distance for work. We are Irish, just moved from outside San Francisco in the U.S.

Ideally I would like somewhere that has it's own entity and is not just a burb! I loved Katoomba when we were in the Blue Mountains but it is just too far from Sydney. Does anyone have any suggestions? Our budget is about $550/week for a rental. If we could leave near the ocean that would be a plus (nice but not essential)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Katie.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Good post -

I heard that the South-West surburbs and some of the western suburbs are the worst to live in. But in all fairness, this is just something that I heard, not sure if those rumors are true or not.
That is the consensus, yes. Many people would consider anything under control of councils of Blacktown, Campbelltown, Penrith and Liverpool as an “undesirable” area. I think it is more historical than anything. There is a lot of welfare housing in these areas however the area is slowly going thru gentrification. St.Marys is a good example (St.Claire is part of it), the area is surrounded by the four councils, yet most people have very good reviews about the place.

I also have a couple of friends who live near Campelltown and they do not complain much. The thing to keep in mind, crime standards in Sydney are a bit different to everywhere else. If someone is mugged on a train station, it is in the news and alarms are sounded everywhere about “crime ridden” areas. In other countries (or cities like Melbourne), this would not even make it to the news, such a minor thing it is! All of them combined wouldnt even get close to crime levels in Bronx or Queens... or Sacre Coeur in Paris.

The rule of thumb in Sydney as follows:
Younger families who value nightlife, safety, parks and “newer” hip areas stick to the inner west: This includes everything from Surry hills to Summer Hill in the west; Waterloo to Mascot and Sydenham in the south.

Eastern and South-Eastern Suburbs are the top suburbs as they offer beaches, nightlife, shopping and safe parks (you can jog at 2AM if you wish, nobody would care). They are for the wealthier families, but quite a few of suburbs are still affordable like Randwick and Maroubra (Check out Centennial park in Randwick, amazing!)

Northern and North-West Sydney is considered good and safe. I would actually think it is safer than Sydney itself. The community there has a very strong feeling of “local Sydney” and are taking care of them area in a great way. I would think these are the only places where councils actually do what the residents need them to do. This includes Hunters Hill, Lane Cove, Cremorne and such.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Katie Fox said:
Naoto

Thank you so much for your reply - it was REALLY helpful and has come at a time of great frustration. I will start looking in some of the places you outlined in your reply. I really appreciate the time and thought you put into your reply. Katie.
The first couple of months are the hardest. You need to settle, get everything arranged and so on. I fully understand that. Hopefully it will be all done and dusted soon :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.