Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am planing to move to Melbourne in mid of this year with wife and two children (3 yrs and 6months).probably I will be looking for job and my wife will take care kids. If anyone know, could you pls advice whether any benefits we can get from centre link?till I find the job and after find the work myself only. For eg. Rent allowance, child allowance, etc.Really appreciate if you can share some valuable advices. Thanks.

G

·
Then yes you can claim family tax benefit, rent assistance and child care benefits. But they are linked to income and assets in and outside of australia so you might not get any. There is a estimator on the centrelink website to see how much you might get.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick response.Suppose my income is less than AUD60k p.a and my wife is not working how much approx we can get as child care or rent assistant. Do they consider as a family or benefits to each child?

G

·
Yes your thread is online. Like I said check the estimator on the centrelink site. Online estimators

Some of these benefits are not paid out until the end of the financial year after you have settled your account by filling taxes. They do it that way so you do not get paid too much if your income changes throughout the year. So you may get something but dont expect it to be immediate or something you can live off.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What benefits do we get on visa 176? What about medical insurance?

Sent from my XoOm using Expat Forum

G

·
Not much, but if you have children and are on a lowish income you might get family tax benefits. Most people get some of the child care payments rebated if they pay for it. And they might get a little towards their rent. But this is only if you are on a low income and PR. People without children are not entitled to much until they have lived in the country for 2 years.

Holding a PR visa you are entitled to medicare. It might be beneficial to have insurance if you have children or if you are on a high enough income that you would attract large extra taxes for not having it. But many people survive without it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
your comments are extremely valuable to people like who is planning to migrate.
Firstly i have checked the estimator you gave me and i got a general idea about rates. That tool is very useful.
Secondly, i heard from some of expats saying medicare is not enough for families with children. Also they say some bad points such as waiting list, queue,etc. As you mentioned what kind of additional benefits(Private Insurance) we will have compared to medicare? Is it really worth for moderate income level?

G

·
This allows you to compare health insurance. Private Health Insurance - iSelect You can pick and choose what you want and importantly what you dont want to pay for!

Personally I wouldnt have no insurance because of my son. If it was just me and hubby I'd just use medicare. Reason because when you have sick child in your arms you want to be seen now not next week or longer in some cases.

But if you went into A&E using medicare you would be seen and treated as soon as possible.

But many people never get insurance and always use medicare and put up with some waiting. But the waits are nothing like you would experience in the UK!

If anything take out dental insurance as that is not covered by medicare and it is very expensive. And ambulance cover depending on which state you are going to. Some cover it many dont and you would be billed if someone phoned an ambulance for you or your family. If you or your family are prone to things that need physio or counselling etc you could consider just getting extras cover as you do wait a long time for those things and the amount you get on medicare is limited and the insurance tops it up.
Have a look on iselect it it will show the extras you could get covered for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes This is very helpful.
i went through that and we can have customized insurance policy as we want. I realized that it would go up to maximum say AUD250 p.m if you have two kids. Now i feel its better to have medicare at the first stage and then later we can decide whether private insurance is really needed or not! This probably cost appro AUD3,000 p.a may not be an big issue if you find a comfortable job. But also i realized that dental is too expensive in ausi.

I have another question. Do you think its better bring some extra cash to ausi when moving to ausi? May be if you are planing to buy a home after 2 years let say! Will it be negative impact on family benefits, tax reliefs,etc (during first 2 years) ?

G

·
It doesn't matter where you have the money, in Australia or another country. Centrelink count all of your money and property in any account in any country when they calculate family benefits. To not tell them you have money overseas is fraud and punishable in the Criminal Courts.

If you need the money bring it with you! If you don't you still must inform them about it when claiming any benefits.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not much, but if you have children and are on a lowish income you might get family tax benefits. Most people get some of the child care payments rebated if they pay for it. And they might get a little towards their rent. But this is only if you are on a low income and PR. People without children are not entitled to much until they have lived in the country for 2 years.
Is the above true for Newly migrated residents as well? I am asking this because new migrants might have enough cash to support them for initial 6-8 months. In that case, will centerlink consider them for FTB(in case of dependent child)?

G

·
Is the dependent child in australia as PR?

You do realise family tax benefit is only a small amount, not enough to live on!

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes the child is a PR and will be in Australia next month .

I understand that the FTB is a small amount, but i think it will be handy to cater to some of my 5 month old baby's needs .
Keeping this in mind,what are your thoughts on my above post based on your knowledge and experience?

Is the dependent child in australia as PR?

You do realise family tax benefit is only a small amount, not enough to live on!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts