Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have searched this forum and the internet but cannot seem to find the answer I need so I hoped one of you nice people would have any knowledge of this..here goes... My girlfriends mum lives in the states with USC husband, she is soon to be getting citizenship herself and my girlfriend and I would like to move over within the next few years. I know my girlfriend can easily apply for visa but how do I stand just as a spouse of her or would we have to be married?is there a way where we show it's a proper relationship and where would we stand for getting SSN as quick as possible?
We are both over 21 and plan on marrying at somepoint but would wait for marriage if visa was being processed as I think if you change visa it turns into a different process.

Thanks for your help.

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
It's going to be a while until your girlfriend could get a family preference visa (F1) as the adult daughter of a U.S. citizen. Nearly a decade, probably. You'll have several years to decide to get married.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
If you girlfriend is a citizen or a green card holder earning a good income she can file
for a fiancee visa for you

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Go to travel.state.gov and select visa bulletin. Select adult child married of US citizen and you can see the current processing times for Green Cards.

Under the tab visa you can read up on all current visa options.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts