Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder how they get buy with selling fake products there is a big mall? I understand the street vendors getting by with it.

When I was there in Tagum at the NCCC mall's department store I purchased a veggie chopper that I had seen advertised on tv from Italy. So when I saw the box with the picture of the chopper on it and stating made in Italy I bought it. I got home and opened it up and noticed right away there was no name on the chopper like advertised. I found a small instruction pamphlet in there and it stated made in China.

I took it back to the mall and got into a big argument with the employees and they called the department manager over and she agreed it was a fake. She said their supplier must be doing that. I said I wanted my money back. She said we don't refund money. I said so you sell me a fake chopper and tell me you won't give my money back. She finally agreed to give me a store credit. At that point I was mad and I slammed the chopper down on the floor and told her to keep all their **** and left the store.

art

·
Registered
658 Posts
I was looking at video cameras at SM City, at the Sony store. When I asked if the "Sony" camera was an authentic Sony, the sales clerk acted offended. I laughed and said it was a valid question because most products I have seen at in the PIs were fake. She then smiled and agreed that it is generally true, but assured me their products were all authentic.

I now assume everything is fake here.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey Ram1957

I normally check things I buy there but never gave it a thought when I saw it in the department store in the NCCC mall. The chopper was in the correct box that is seen on tv but the chopper inside was a fake. The only reason I bought it I had seen the chopper advertised on the USA tv channel as seen on tv. Since it was an Italy product I wanted to buy it but got fooled.

art

·
Super Moderator
3,603 Posts
Online shopping channels Philippines

hey Ram1957

I normally check things I buy there but never gave it a thought when I saw it in the department store in the NCCC mall. The chopper was in the correct box that is seen on tv but the chopper inside was a fake. The only reason I bought it I had seen the chopper advertised on the USA tv channel as seen on tv. Since it was an Italy product I wanted to buy it but got fooled.

art
Art they have Online shopping channels here in the Philippines usually all day long and real late at night on several channels and they also have websites such as Shop Japan, O shopping, HSN or Shop TV, I can't remember what channels but watch it frequently their website has all the gadgets cool pots and pans and other hard to find kitchen products.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My samsung tablet is for the UK market ! Has Samsung UK on the Back Yately postcode
Then said Designed and engineered and made in Vietnam !
Most other stuff bought here since 2011 made in China !
Apple iphone ( wifes ), my Huawei mobile ( brilliant ), wifi router,insect killers,cctv,electrical switches,sockets
All made in China !and all works fine.

·
Registered
620 Posts
My samsung tablet is for the UK market ! Has Samsung UK on the Back Yately postcode
Then said Designed and engineered and made in Vietnam !
Most other stuff bought here since 2011 made in China !
Apple iphone ( wifes ), my Huawei mobile ( brilliant ), wifi router,insect killers,cctv,electrical switches,sockets
All made in China !and all works fine.
Yes I agree, not all Chinese products are necessarily fake, lots of genuine stuff is made in China. @Greenstreak are you sure the chopper you bought was a fake? Just because you saw it on a US TV channel and it was purported to be an Italian product, it could still have been made in China.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Yes I agree, not all Chinese products are necessarily fake, lots of genuine stuff is made in China. @Greenstreak are you sure the chopper you bought was a fake? Just because you saw it on a US TV channel and it was purported to be an Italian product, it could still have been made in China.
Very little now is not made in China. The problem with the Philippines is that the unethical importers, mostly Chinese/Filipino hoover up all the goods that have failed quality checking that would allow them to be sent to the markets in the west. An example, TVs that have the extra few pixels failed, will work perfectly ok but wouldn't be acceptable in the west, scratched cases, older models etc.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey Gary D

Oh yeah it was FAKE!!! I saw this product demonstrated on tv in the states before I went to Philippines. Right on the front of the chopper it had the name (Kitchen King Pro) stamped on it in white on tv. Also on the box the picture of the chopper with the name on it. the chopper is red. The one I got in the box had no name on it. IT WAS A FAKE FROM CHINA being put in original box and sold in the NCCC department store. The one in the box was identical in design to the original one but without a name.

art

·
Registered
570 Posts
We were in Marquee Mall, Angeles last year, were approached by a Irish girl working at a vendor booth selling expensive whitening cream. (probably fake). She applied the cream to my wife's arm in a small area using pressure in a circular motion and MAGIC, the area became noticeably lighter. I quickly realized all she was doing was displacing the blood in the area. I had her do the same to me with the same result. One could have the same results using a cheap cooking oil. I have since seen other vendors in other malls using this same trick so be aware of this scam.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
A sad indictment of a country many choose to live in myself included. Every country has its misnomers and short comings. Australia included.
As for failed products they make their way to all countries sold through companies,,,, like here in Australia "Kogan" selling equivalent of name brands because there was 3 dead pixels on the screen,,,,, and yes a third of the price.
I have purchased great products in PH. tv, sound systems, washing machine, refrigerator etc that are still going strong after 5 years, no name brands that suit a budget and not an ego. OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have heard it said and I believe it that products that do not pass the highest quality standards, but are still workable end up in the poorer markets, including the Philippines.

A company I worked with in a different third world country once bought a couple hundred laptops. About half of these came from Dell in the USA and the rest were bought from a Dell reseller in Malaysia. In a couple of years almost half of the Malaysian units had failed while none of the USA units had any issues.

The Malaysian units also did not have Windows installed. We had to buy full price standalone copies of the OS and install those. This made the Malaysian units more expensive to boot.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
A sad indictment of a country many choose to live in myself included. Every country has its misnomers and short comings. Australia included.
As for failed products they make their way to all countries sold through companies,,,, like here in Australia "Kogan" selling equivalent of name brands because there was 3 dead pixels on the screen,,,,, and yes a third of the price.
I have purchased great products in PH. tv, sound systems, washing machine, refrigerator etc that are still going strong after 5 years, no name brands that suit a budget and not an ego. OMO.

Cheers, Steve.
As time goes by and the economy here gets better I'm seeing better quality merchandise in stores and malls. The main worry or concern is that there is now even fake medicines on the market. No telling where it is made but would guess in China and then sent here to be sold in the small mom and pop sari sari stores. Makes it important to buy meds in the large nationwide drug stores.

Reactions: Manitoba and M.C.A.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
On a different forum there was a story of a guy who went for medical testing. The results came back in a couple of hours and he was told that he needed some expensive medicine.

Turns out the guy had a medical background and the tests take several days to give results, not hours, the condition that they told him he had was not what the test was for and the medicine they wanted him to take did nothing for the condition he wanted to be tested for or the one they said he had.

He returned home was retested for both conditions and the results came back negative for both conditions.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
On a different forum there was a story of a guy who went for medical testing. The results came back in a couple of hours and he was told that he needed some expensive medicine.

Turns out the guy had a medical background and the tests take several days to give results, not hours, the condition that they told him he had was not what the test was for and the medicine they wanted him to take did nothing for the condition he wanted to be tested for or the one they said he had.

He returned home was retested for both conditions and the results came back negative for both conditions.
That's another thing. In many cases doctors, clinics, hospitals, and staff are not much good to put it :rolleyes: nicely? :rolleyes: . Unless there in no choice in the matter it can be safer to just research on the internet and use to meds indicated on reliable medical sites.

I have one of the very best doctors in the country thank goodness and he does a superb job. The problem is the hospital where I've been several times has staff that is just not up to par. To compensate for that my 14yr old daughter that is going to be a Dr in the States takes over all in room care and cross-checks all meds given to me. If IV antibiotics are needed then she gets me discharged after a day or two and gives me the meds via an IV push at home to be sure I will be alright

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,603 Posts
Clinics Doctors

That's another thing. In many cases doctors, clinics, hospitals, and staff are not much good to put it :rolleyes: nicely? :rolleyes: . Unless there in no choice in the matter it can be safer to just research on the internet and use to meds indicated on reliable medical sites.

I have one of the very best doctors in the country thank goodness and he does a superb job. The problem is the hospital where I've been several times has staff that is just not up to par. To compensate for that my 14yr old daughter that is going to be a Dr in the States takes over all in room care and cross-checks all meds given to me. If IV antibiotics are needed then she gets me discharged after a day or two and gives me the meds via an IV push at home to be sure I will be alright
Agree with Asian Spirit, I had some scares basically with? I don't know what happened but he prescribed stuff for dehydration, turned out I may have had food poisoning because when I got medicine for what amounts to dysentery and pain relief (got this on my own) my back was in pain and the sign of infection, it went away the doctor always prescribes all sorts of junk that will add up over 1000 pesos same with my grandson and now granddaughter and it doesn't work unless it was an illness or sickness that just takes care of itself and so your out a couple thousand pesos trying to find something else.

Example: My grandson was told he has Asthma and the medicine never seems to work we've been dealing with this since our daughter moved back in our region grandson was 10 months old he's now 7 and a couple times we had to get him an IV for food eh kept throwing up. My daughter started seeing a herbalist doctor 3 years ago and come to find out recently he said my grandson has allergies because of the way the lungs were coughing up phlegm, he's throwing up also just like always does with difficulty breathing but this time it's lasted month, the herbal liquid medicine isn't cheap either but seems to be working and it's for the lungs and no more throwing up, it's only been 3 days, :) I'm gonna write down all the ingredients he hides those with the pharmaceutical type names but I worked in the Supplement/Vitamin industry for 7 years so I'll get the entire make up of the ingredients for future use in case it comes in handy for other expats or myself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts