Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody !
I am originally from Moldova, and work in the import/export sector. I have moved to Paris recently since most of my clients are based in the area, and learning French has not been necessary because I work mostly in Russian. However, I am having trouble with a health issue and I thought other expats in this site could help: for years I have had a tendency to develop acne (even though I will be 35 soon), and back in London (where I lived before) I had found an institute specialized in facials for people (men/women) that suffer from this problem and need special products in order to control it. Here in Paris I have not found a beauty institute that can offer the service, and all I have found is facials against stress or tiredness, nothing that is really a "nettoyage de peau", as my cosmetologist in London advised me to ask for. Is there anyone here who could recommend an institute in Paris specialized in acne problems? There is got to be something, after all teenagers suffer from acne here as well.
Thanks a million!

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Hello everybody !
I am originally from Moldova, and work in the import/export sector. I have moved to Paris recently since most of my clients are based in the area, and learning French has not been necessary because I work mostly in Russian. However, I am having trouble with a health issue and I thought other expats in this site could help: for years I have had a tendency to develop acne (even though I will be 35 soon), and back in London (where I lived before) I had found an institute specialized in facials for people (men/women) that suffer from this problem and need special products in order to control it. Here in Paris I have not found a beauty institute that can offer the service, and all I have found is facials against stress or tiredness, nothing that is really a "nettoyage de peau", as my cosmetologist in London advised me to ask for. Is there anyone here who could recommend an institute in Paris specialized in acne problems? There is got to be something, after all teenagers suffer from acne here as well.
Thanks a million!
Have you tried getting and taking Dianette - it is an oral contraceptive that is frequently prescribed for dealing with acne.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi baldilocks,

Thanks for your answer. Actually my acne problems started after I stopped taking the pill (I took it for 8 years: age 23-31), and I stopped taking it due to fibrocystic breast disease.

In London I saw a dermatologist who prescribed me Racutane, which I took for almost a year. That, and the aid of a monthly specialized facial totally cleaned my skin of acne.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Hi baldilocks,

Thanks for your answer. Actually my acne problems started after I stopped taking the pill (I took it for 8 years: age 23-31), and I stopped taking it due to fibrocystic breast disease.

In London I saw a dermatologist who prescribed me Racutane, which I took for almost a year. That, and the aid of a monthly specialized facial totally cleaned my skin of acne.

Any ideas?
Sorry, but not being a dermatologist, No. My knowledge of this "side effect" of Dianette was from doing the secretarial work for a Consultant dermatologist.

My leanings in the medical field currently revolve around endocrinology (especially testosterone/oestrogen and inhibiting the conversion of one to the other) and ophthalmolgy (in particular the corneal damage caused by some medications).

·
Administrator
51,596 Posts
What you have could be rosacea rather than plain old acne. I had treatments for this at a "beauty institute" when I was living in California, but only really got it under control after going to a dermatologist here in France.

Try going to a dermatologist here and then when you're having your prescription filled, ask the pharmacist about other types of treatment. It's amazing what the pharmacists here can put you on to.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Bev,

Thank you but due to my limited knowledge of French, talking to the pharmacist could be problematic since their English is usually very limited :/

However, the idea of seeing a dermatologist here is a good one; even though I stopped taking medicine two years ago and had controlled the appearance of blackheads/pimples with a monthly facial.

I got three facials here in Paris already (Villa Thialgo Spa, Lovely Spa and Institut Ranelagh), the three were good as a "soin de visage": they perform a peeling either with a vaporizer or with a machine called "micropeeling", after that they apply a mousturizing mask and, for some strange reason, they give you a neck and shoulder massage to finish. Very relaxing indeed but I still don't understand how can that be connected to a cleansing of your skin.

I thought that abroad it is common to take teenagers suffering from acne problems to these kind of "cleansing" facials, so for sure there should be an institute offering them or even specialized in them here in Paris.

What you have could be rosacea rather than plain old acne. I had treatments for this at a "beauty institute" when I was living in California, but only really got it under control after going to a dermatologist here in France.

Try going to a dermatologist here and then when you're having your prescription filled, ask the pharmacist about other types of treatment. It's amazing what the pharmacists here can put you on to.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Banned
273 Posts
I live in Paris part time (not too much lately) and find that the Pharmacists in general are pretty good with English. The thing with the French is that if they don't speak it PERFECTLY they don't think they can/should speak it at all. My French is HORRIBLE so when they say they can't speak English (mostly post offices and metro stations) I start to speak broken English/horrible French/Hand signals/Air Drawings and in a few minutes we're speaking good (sometimes great) to weak English. The fact is it's always much better than they think it is and very passable to get the job done. It's all about getting the job done, you're not doing a stage play on Broadway. Take it step by step, they'll crack slowly and everybody gets what they need. Zoom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.