Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need new glasses and I thought I would go with progressive because I am tired of carrying around 3 sets of glasses everywhere I go. So my sister who works for an eye doctor in the States told me about Essilor Varilux X lenses. I have been doing the rounds to get estimates here and they are all around 1,000 euros (which I am not willing to pay). I should have bought them in the States for cost, but didn't have time. Today I found a shop that gave me an estimate for 700 euros. That's a big price difference and I'm wondering how can I be sure they are really Varilux X lenses. This shop is not an Essilor partner. I wonder if that makes a difference?

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
I need new glasses and I thought I would go with progressive because I am tired of carrying around 3 sets of glasses everywhere I go. So my sister who works for an eye doctor in the States told me about Essilor Varilux X lenses. I have been doing the rounds to get estimates here and they are all around 1,000 euros (which I am not willing to pay). I should have bought them in the States for cost, but didn't have time. Today I found a shop that gave me an estimate for 700 euros. That's a big price difference and I'm wondering how can I be sure they are really Varilux X lenses. This shop is not an Essilor partner. I wonder if that makes a difference?

Thanks.
As far as I could see, the public profile you have doesn't show your age. Are you a heavy computer user? If not then you are unlikely to gain much benefit from those lenses over ordinary Varilux (or similar) lenses. The last pair I got here in Spain cost me about 300€ including fitting into my own frames. Previously I had bought a pair in UK which were excellent - cost £50 but, instead of going through an optician, I took my prescription to a firm that actually make the spectacles that opticians sell, i.e. I cut out the middle man. Now this might be a suitable route to take in France - find the laboratories where they actually make the spectacles.

Please don't be tempted to have those silly letterbox type spectacles that are all width and no depth because the shallowness of the lens will not allow sufficient graduation for you to be comfortable wearing them.

·
Administrator
50,411 Posts
It will depend on your exact prescription, but whenever I get new glasses I get quoted something around 1000€. If you have a mutuelle, you should make the rounds of the various optician shops to see if they have a contract with your mutuelle provider. I know I've been shocked at the quotes I get for my glasses - but because the one shop has a contract with my (old) mutuelle, it turns out the mutuelle pays for the whole bill. My husband says that basically the shop winds up reducing the price to the maximum the mutuelle is willing to pay. (But that's their problem to work out.)

We've changed mutuelles this year, and I have an opthalmo appointment in a few weeks. Will be curious to see if the place where I've been getting my glasses done has as good a deal with the new mutuelle.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I had these lenses (in Australia) before I had eye surgery - I thought they were great - but then I had a very complex perscription, being extremely long-sighted plus short-sighted as a result of ageing. Don't need them now, just reading glasses when I get a bit tired.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Mesures to reduce to zero the exorbitant extra costs of eyeglasses, dental care and hearing aids were not present in the first package of mesures on the financing of the Social Security presented last Thursday by ministers Buzyn and Darmanin.

They should be included the next time round, or before 2022...if the resorbtion of the sécu's debt continues as planned.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone and especially Charlot for the good info. I will be looking into that store. I am still rather partial for Varilux X glasses (the latest) and glad EverHopeful you liked your Varilux. I have to see what my mutual will pay and if it is worth it to get a French prescription. I had my eyes checked in the States in August because they have all new state-of-the-art equipment and it was quite amazing. Never saw any of that equipment here. Unfortunately my husband also had his eyes checked and with the new equipment they found he is borderline for getting glaucoma in the near future. No eye doctor in France ever told him that, so glad we had our eyes tested. Thanks again.

·
Banned
63 Posts
I hope all of you know except baldilooks that there is a mafia in France on prescription eye glasses. Much cheaper in other countries and even better ( as been posted ) in eye care in the US. Though this might be due to the better medical advancements and care there.

Look at a US forum before making any choice svp.

·
Administrator
50,411 Posts
I don't know about "mafia" but yes, eyeglasses in France are pretty frightfully expensive. The sécu reimbursements for eyeglasses are pretty pathetic, so it really depends on your mutuelle as to how well reimbursed you are.

If you have reason to go back to the US, yeah, sure, you can get glasses cheaper, but the best you might be able to do for reimbursement is to claim that you "broke" your glasses while visiting and then you might get something less than 100€ back from sécu - probably nothing from your mutuelle (but check your policy - it might work). You will, however, need to see a US optometrist (at least) to get a local prescription. Most states require an in-state prescription to make up eyeglasses.

With a good mutuelle, it may be possible to get even an expensive pair of glasses for no more than 20 to 50€. Or maybe not. What the mutuelle actually pays the optician is between them as far as I'm concerned.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
276 Posts
My husband broke his glasses yesterday and we were shocked today to see the price on new ones. He just got new glasses 3 months ago in the states (bifocals) for about $450.00. We paid 650 euros today (about $760 US) for the new ones at Optic 2000 here in Carcassonne.

Karen

·
Administrator
50,411 Posts
My husband broke his glasses yesterday and we were shocked today to see the price on new ones. He just got new glasses 3 months ago in the states (bifocals) for about $450.00. We paid 650 euros today (about $760 US) for the new ones at Optic 2000 here in Carcassonne.

Karen
Yup - I used to pay between about $500 in the States for my glasses. Back here (since I gave up on going back to the States for glasses) they generally come to 1000€ every time. When we changed mutuelles, you better believe I read through all the coverage description to make sure we found a policy that was "generous" with both eye glasses and dental care.

They came through on the dental when I needed a new crown a few months back. Paid considerably more than the old mutuelle had done. I've got an eye appointment in a couple of weeks and we'll see after that how well they do on the glasses.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Yup - I used to pay between about $500 in the States for my glasses. Back here (since I gave up on going back to the States for glasses) they generally come to 1000€ every time. When we changed mutuelles, you better believe I read through all the coverage description to make sure we found a policy that was "generous" with both eye glasses and dental care.

They came through on the dental when I needed a new crown a few months back. Paid considerably more than the old mutuelle had done. I've got an eye appointment in a couple of weeks and we'll see after that how well they do on the glasses.
Cheers,
Bev
Here in Spain, I have an appointment in a week or two and I will be getting new varifocal specs and I'll let you know how much they are here in Andalucía. BTW, there is no coverage of spectacles here under the health service.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I don't know anything about the type of lenses you want, but I wear progressive glasses. The first pair I got from the Optical Centre (I think that is the name) and honestly when the saleman said 800€ I burst into tears (of course for it was that time of the month and it came out of nowhere). I ended up getting the cheapest with a no name frame for 100€ (only paid 15€ after mutelle).

The second time around I went to Direct Optic and was extremely happy. I ended up getting the most expensive progressive lenses and a nice affordable frame for around 400€ (paid 150€ after mutelle). I was so satisfied my husband who started wearing glasses went and got his first pair there and paid way less than me (he doesn't wear progressive).

ON a side note, when I went back to the Optical Centre to pick up my glasses I saw the guy hurry into the back and hide. Of course at that time all I could do was laugh and feel sorry for the experience I put the poor guy through. But at least he had a good story about the woman who burst into tears over glasses. Although in my defense, they offered a buy one get one free glasses offer on all frames and lenses. So I couldn't understand how they could charge such prices for one pair yet give a free pair away of the exact same quality.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts