Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of days ago after a TRN check I asked my CO whether I can go for MED which is the last that is still required. Status of all other criteria are showing as "met".

Today I got a message from CO that he initiated "External Character Check".I ahve to wait.

Can somebody explain what kind of check is this or how long it will take for Bangladeshi citizen.:(

·
Registered
716 Posts
A couple of days ago after a TRN check I asked my CO whether I can go for MED which is the last that is still required. Status of all other criteria are showing as "met".

Today I got a message from CO that he initiated "External Character Check".I ahve to wait.

Can somebody explain what kind of check is this or how long it will take for Bangladeshi citizen.:(
"External checks" are backgorund checks on you, usually done by ASIO. They can be quite long, but 6 months or so seems to be a normal duration.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The checks are done for ALL high-risk countries - it has got nothing to do with religion. India falls under this category too BUT I believe as far as DIAC is concerned, they have quicker access/results for the checks done in India (thanks to good diplomacy and open policies perhaps) and therefore the process for Indian applicants is usually quicker.

G

·
Is it done for subclass 189 too? I guess this check is only meant for muslim countries like Pakistan & Bangladesh. I haven't heard anything like this in the forum from an Indian. In most cases, they get grant within weeks.
You really are paranoid!

Everyone goes through security checks but those who live or have worked in high risk countries, those with criminal and military backgrounds or whose close family meet any of that go through more. There are many non Muslim countries classified as high risk.

The reason it takes much longer for people from some countries to get clearance us due to the lack of cooperation from the government agencies in freely sharing information with DIAC in a timely manner.

Whereas if Australia asks the USA or the UK for information they share it quickly and willingly. And I know there are plenty of Muslims in both of those countries.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Perhaps, there are further categories of High Risk Countries. So far in my experience with this forum, I haven't seen anyone facing long term security check who came from a HR Non-Muslim Country. Terrorism could be reason behind it. If, slower processing is the cause why then it happens only to muslim countries?
whatever the cause, I doubt religion has anything to do with it, it's narrow-minded to point the delay on something as religion, because the way you are putting it is that Muslims are being discriminated.

If you think the reason for the delay is background checks for terrorism which you could be right, then it's not because you are Muslim, it could be as simple as because you came or have been to to a country which are known to harbor terrorist. Whatever the case, it's not religion.

Reactions: alamin104
G

·
Yup do you know how many British and Irish born non Muslims are behind bars for acts of terrorism, or under control orders for related suspicious activities? Quite a lot in fact.

Did you know high risk countries include the non Muslim majority countries such as Sri Lanka, Poland, South Africa, North Korea, Romania, Russia, Brazil, I could go on.

And it he who paranoid that the world us out to get them due to their religion that needs to behave.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yup do you know how many British and Irish born non Muslims are behind bars for acts of terrorism, or under control orders for related suspicious activities? Quite a lot in fact.

Did you know high risk countries include the non Muslim majority countries such as Sri Lanka, Poland, South Africa, North Korea, Romania, Russia, Brazil, I could go on.

And it he who paranoid that the world us out to get them due to their religion that needs to behave.
Yeah, there are many HR countries with non-muslim majority. However, so far in this forum I haven't found anyone living there facing long term security check for permanent skillselect visa. That's what I am pointing to. Having said that, I know my limitation about this observation as I am new here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts