Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am currently residing in the UK on a spouse visa. Two questions I need help with please!
1: I don't have a biometric card, only the visa in my passport. I applied fast track from Japan and am a US citizen. When I submit an extension to my visa for another two years, will I then receive another visa sticker in my passport or a biometric card? On the website, I see reference to a biometric card and am not sure what I have to do about this- make an appointment for it or if an appointment is made automatically or if it doesn't apply to me. .

2:I haven't decided yet if I will make a same day or post appointment. If I make a same day appointment, when can I register for this appointment? I understand I need to wait until 30 days until my visa expires (December 17) before going to renew it, but can I make the appointment soon to have the date confirmed, between the window of November 18-December 17. If it is a same day appointment, do I walk out with my passport? I would like to travel at the holiday season, but am nervous about the time frame. If same day I walk out with my passport, I might opt for that. I definitely won't travel if I submit my application by post.

Thank you for the information! Jessica

·
Registered
334 Posts
1. Once visa is granted you will get a card called biometric residence permit.

2. If you are on spouse visa you can apply on the 30th month anniversary of your entry in the UK minus 28 days. You can book an appointment 40 days ahead (if I'm not mistaken). You get a decision within a day (as long as everything is straightforward) and get the passport on the same day as well. It's worth using premium service especially if you are planning to go on a holiday.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
It's worth pointing out, assuming you are granted the visa you will have your passport given back the same day. However, the visa itself which is in the form of BRP card and required for re-entering the country when travelling can take up to 10 working days to arrive. Something to factor in if planning on travelling.

And being somewhat pedantic, you can book an appointment 42 days in advance.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks so much for the help! In regards to the biometric card, regardless how I apply for my extension, I don't need to do anything extra to arrange it, is that correct? Is there any additional cost?

I will probably try to fast track my application, though when I call the Home Office I am told I can't apply until 28 days before my visa expires (even though I came in with 33 months valid). This is different information from what is posted on this forum many times over. I am certain it is incorrect information from the Home Office!

Thanks, Jessica

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thanks so much for the help! In regards to the biometric card, regardless how I apply for my extension, I don't need to do anything extra to arrange it, is that correct? Is there any additional cost?

I will probably try to fast track my application, though when I call the Home Office I am told I can't apply until 28 days before my passport expires (even though I came in with 33 months valid). This is different information from what is posted on this forum many times over. I am certain it is incorrect information from the Home Office!

Thanks, Jessica
If you go the postal route you receive a letter regarding an appointment to take biometrics at a local post office, which costs an extra £19.20 I think. If you use the Premium Service Appointment, the biometrics are taken on the day - but that is an extra £590. It's worth it in my mind if you can afford it.

I'm not sure what you mean by fast track your appointment? Also, assuming you rang the help line, which is run by a third party and seem to rarely know what they're talking about. The sticky thread is correct in this instance.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the information! I haven't decided yet which to do. I am assuming the processing time is still 2 months average by post.

There is an 0800 phone number listed to contact the Home Office with visa enquires (I think it is based in Croydon). I have called twice with the same question about dates, as this forum states 30 months minus 28 days to apply for extension. Both times I was told 28 days before the visa expired, which doesn't match information provided here. I understand that this forum is correct, I have seen it posted several times at the date you mentioned. Just thought to mention it, in case others were receiving same (incorrect) advice.

Thanks again! Jessica

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
The helplines are contracted out to a 3rd party who have some scripted answers to questions. FLR(M) is a 30 month visa so the answer is correct for this visa but not if you applied for a spouse visa from outside of the U.K.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The helplines are contracted out to a 3rd party who have some scripted answers to questions. FLR(M) is a 30 month visa so the answer is correct for this visa but not if you applied for a spouse visa from outside of the U.K.
Thanks Nyclon. You were really helpful with the first application by the way! I explained to both operators that I had received my first visa outside the UK and the amount of time given. To confirm my current visa is valid from March 20 2015 to December 20 2017. I entered the UK on April 24 2015. Information given by the hotline is that I should apply in late November, however, I should be able to apply in mid September, is that correct?
I think we will probably fast track the appointment, not 100% positive yet, but the thought of being without my passport for an undetermined time is unnerving. I also understand that the process is easier in person.
Thanks again for the help.
Jessica

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.