Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I finally made it to the Philippines and soon will have to go apply for my first extension for 29 days. I notice on the application that 2 character references in the Philippines are required but I do not know anybody here. Is it ok to add my girlfriend and her brother as references? Cannot add parents because they do not have a phone. My gf's family lives in the province and are poor. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,603 Posts
Long term plans?

Hi, I finally made it to the Philippines and soon will have to go apply for my first extension for 29 days. I notice on the application that 2 character references in the Philippines are required but I do not know anybody here. Is it ok to add my girlfriend and her brother as references? Cannot add parents because they do not have a phone. My gf's family lives in the province and are poor. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Hi Rinavic, I know that in-laws are poor feeling, good luck with that. Do you have any long-term plans to stay here or is this just a long vacation for you, just curious because the costs keep adding up from all angles. :confused2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help, i have one more question, what should i check for reason of extension ?
should i check pleasure ? or others reason specify, is it ok to say that im visiting my girlfriend?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Rinavic, I know that in-laws are poor feeling, good luck with that. Do you have any long-term plans to stay here or is this just a long vacation for you, just curious because the costs keep adding up from all angles. :confused2:

My plan is to get married later and sponsor my wife back to canada.
Because of the long processing times it could take maybe two years to do everything.

<Snip>

·
Registered
998 Posts
Wife's cousin married a Canadian Jan 2014 and he was able to come back and bring her home exactly a year later.

·
Super Moderator
3,603 Posts
Reason for extension

Thanks for your help, i have one more question, what should i check for reason of extension ?
should i check pleasure ? or others reason specify, is it ok to say that im visiting my girlfriend?
Well now I'm somewhat confused because you've said you're getting married so wouldn't she be your Finance, you're trying to work the marriage documents, I don't see why the truth can't be divulged, later when the PBI start asking more questions about your relationship.

I hope you get more responses but if you still haven't determined she's the one yet, I'm with Jon, I'd say your extending as a tourist.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just renewed today and added my GF/Fiance as my reference.

Only needed one.

JM101
I always go the BI in Manila. Have always used my GF and her Mom as reference no one ever questions or contacts them. As to the reason I would think tourist or pleasure is reason enough. In the Philippines best to be honest but not complicate things if still working on your marraige approval. Not sure if that form is even looked at once you pass it through the window but as my lawyer always says ”tell the truth in as few words as you can and only exactly what they ask, Never ever provide the rope”
:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts