Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My retired wife and I will be visiting Spain at the end of October and would like to stay for 6 months.

My sister-in-law's parents have been going to Portugal (from Canada) for about 20 years, every year, and extend their stays to 4 - 6 months each trip by going to the government office in the nearby city of Portomao during their stay and paying for an extension.

Should we expect the same type of formality in Spain when we get there?

Thanks,

Lou

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
My retired wife and I will be visiting Spain at the end of October and would like to stay for 6 months.

My sister-in-law's parents have been going to Portugal (from Canada) for about 20 years, every year, and extend their stays to 4 - 6 months each trip by going to the government office in the nearby city of Portomao during their stay and paying for an extension.

Should we expect the same type of formality in Spain when we get there?

Thanks,

Lou
No - that doesn't happen in Spain. You can't buy an extension to a 90 day Schengen visa.

If you want to stay more than 90 / 180 you have arrange a long stay visa before you came.

In very exceptional circumstances an extension may be granted once you're here - maybe if you were ill & unable to travel - but not just because you want to stay longer.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
It might be that Portugal permits this under certain circumstances and might restrict your travel within Portugal. There is no guarantee for it isn't in the regulations.

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
xabiachica -

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Is Portugal not in the Schengen Zone?

Lou
Yes it is, but as joaquinx suggested, individual countries do have their own rules for extending tourist visas

Portugal does permit this - there are hoops to jump through, but it's possible (Thanks PT mod Siobhan for checking this out)
Visto de Curta Duração e Isenção de Visto

Spain doesn't

1 - 6 of 6 Posts