Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I would really appreciate if you could help me out. I am an EEA national living with my husband (a non EEA national who has a EEA family member RC) in the UK. His sister (non EEA national) recently joined her husband in Sweden but now doesn't want to stay with him for several reasons. I want to bring her to live with us. We are both working and can support her and her kids but I am not sure whether she qualifies for an extended family member. She currently has a temporary residence card that ends within the next 6 months.

If you need any further information please let me know.

Would really appreciate a prompt reply!

Many thanks!

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
Unlikely. To qualify for extended family member, his sister and her children must have been financially dependent on your husband or you for some time, for at least 50% of their living cost or have been dependent on you for everyday needs (you have been their carer). Neither seems the case if she has been living with her husband.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joppa, really appreciate your prompt response.

Would there be any other options apart from applying as an extended family member? In other words what can I do in order to bring her and her kids to live with us?

Many thanks again!

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
Hardly any. If she is a victim of domestic violence, there may be a scope under human rights consideration but UKVI will be likely to say apply to Swedish authorities for support and protection. Refugee status is unlikely if she has been living in Sweden. They will say she has no reason to apply to live in UK other than your wish to have them with you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She has a temporary residence that expires in 5 months and if not renewed she will be taken back. Problem is she doesn't have anything to go back to.. She is Palestinian by origin and therefore Stateless/Refugee with residence in Lebanon. If anything comes to mind would really appreciate it.

Many thanks for the support.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would we be able to bring her on a visit visa? If yes, is there anything we can do to keep her if necessary? If she gets employed, or studies in the UK?

Sorry for the many questions, we are just worried that we wouldn't be able to help her much there and would rather she is with us and under our protection

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
She can apply for visit visa, and if granted can stay for 6 months maximum. But she isn't allowed to work or study (except on short course lasting no more than a month) and will be expected to leave UK at the end. No extension possible. Because of her residence status in Sweden, it may be difficult to get visit visa, as they suspect she may not go home and try to overstay. I think Home Office will take the view that it's up to the Swedish authorities to assist her with her status and welfare and that UK government has no obligation to intervene.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.