Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One more day to go and we will know if Dubai wins the Expo 2020 Bid.

A provisional fireworks display has been planned at Burj Khalifa should Dubai be announced as the host. That is at 10:00pm.

Voting starts at 5:00pm Dubai time and the final results should be out by 9:00pm.

Good Luck Dubai! :)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Yeah....

A lot of us struggle with the same sentiment.

The expo is massively overhyped and hardly as important as is being claimed.

But they will throw an astonishing amount of money at it.

On one side it'll be good for my employer's work in Dubai, and therefore quite possibly my career.

Otherwise, I hope Dubai crashes and burns.

·
Registered
270 Posts
People are so caught up with the rumored AED 85 Billion spend if the Expo is awarded.

None of that money will trickle down to lowly employees like us.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
The big issue will be managing the disappointment if Dubai does not get to host the Expo 2020.
Dubai has such a can do, winning attitude that it is not conceivable to the 2020 team that any other country could host it better.
I really hope Dubai wins the bid - as it gives a focus to aim for in the coming years. All the stalled projects will have a clear reason to restart and the Dubai economy from now until 2020 will benefit.
The Expos themselves have generally been pretty average and rarely bring the host countries fame or wealth - maybe this one will change that and galvanize this region for the good.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Don't know, don't care.

I STILL don't know what an Expo is supposed to entail... and I had never heard of it until Dubai was on the table. Surely nobody else (outside of the UAE) cares?

:frusty:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
From what I can tell, it's basically a tarted up Global Village.
nowadays, yes.
Historically, they were a big deal, though.

When it was the World's Fair, it was THE place to make the major technological advancements and breakthroughs of the day (Electricity / telephone etc). After WW2, it went a bit 'Cultural'

nowadays, it's all gone a bit Strictly Come Dancing / Eurovision Song Contest / 'look at our national cakes'

Reactions: saraswat

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
nowadays, yes.
Historically, they were a big deal, though.

When it was the World's Fair, it was THE place to make the major technological advancements and breakthroughs of the day (Electricity / telephone etc). After WW2, it went a bit 'Cultural'

nowadays, it's all gone a bit Strictly Come Dancing / Eurovision Song Contest / 'look at our national cakes'
So right up Dubai's alley then.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Well looking at the other cities who have hosted Expo's - none were what you'd call 'major' cities, apart from Shanghai. In fact the Expo caused quite a few of them to take a nose dive financially and it did them no good at all.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Well looking at the other cities who have hosted Expo's - none were what you'd call 'major' cities, apart from Shanghai. In fact the Expo caused quite a few of them to take a nose dive financially and it did them no good at all.
So the plan if Dubai wins is we all take off because of the rising rents, and come back when it crashes?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Dubai got 77 votes in the 1st round, i think they have won it, Congratulations Dubai and hope that I get to enjoy 2020 either while living here or while visiting

·
Registered
880 Posts
I think that's the first round - Brazil is out. Still more rounds to go but with 77 in the first round - looks like Dubai will take it.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I think that's the first round - Brazil is out. Still more rounds to go but with 77 in the first round - looks like Dubai will take it.
2nd round. Turks out.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts